Have Posthumous Bharat Ratna awards become purely political , list of extraordinary Indians who never received Bharat Ratna

rangeelaraja

Isn’t it shocking that Vikram Sarabhai - the principal founder and brain behind what ISRO is today hasn’t got the Bharat Ratna. Vikram Sarabhai is also the founder of IIM -A  - Indias crown jewel management institute . 

Ditto with Varghese Kurien - the founder and brain behind Amul / cooperative dairy - the father of the milk revolution in India whose social impact in India is beyond words. 

Am sure at some point both of them will get the Bharat Ratna - it’s just not politically beneficial right now - because that’s what decides timing of the Bharat Ratna awards. 

Whats the point of giving Bharat Ratna posthumously- 30/40 years after someone has passed away ? Does the govt wake up after 40 years and realize - “ We think you are a Bharat Ratna”  , we want to thank you for your social impact. 

Can you imagine someone like Sardar Patel who is literally the architect of modern India - someone who negotiated unification of the country as it stands today with 500+ princely states ? He is also the brain behind all India administrative services. 

He gets Bharat Ratna in 1990 - 40 years after his death in 1950, while Sachin Tendulkar gets it soon after his retirement in 2013 at the age of 40, because he does a behind the close doors agreement  with the then ruling Congress party to be their nominated Rajya sabha MP, with a promise to give him Bharat Ratna - so that INC could benefit in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. 

This is the “value “ of Bharat Ratna. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

It lost its value long ago when MGR was given Bharat Ratna in 1988 immediately after his death in 1987 .  At that time Saradar Patel, Ambedkar were not awarded yet. It started becoming politically motivated blatantly after that, not that it was not earlier.

Nehru and IG giving it to themselves is a joke

GF4y3X2WkAAKTpj?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by coffee_rules

INfact I will say, Government to introduce awards on name of these three greats on basis of contributions  in specific areas like nation building, constitution/legal and betterment of society to all Indians including NRIs :hatsoff:

BR given to Charan Singh - the guy who broke the Janata Party in 1980 to become the PM from Congress support for a few months. Wah Modji Wah! :congrats: This is mainly because RLD is thinking of joiniung NDA breaking away from I.N.D.. RLD's head is Charan Singh's grandson Jayant Singh. . 

Not that it makes any difference, but hey still haven't given Bharat Ratna to legendary singer Muhammad Rafi. Everyone who worked with him speaks fondly of him, praising his generosity, humility and kindness. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

BR given to Charan Singh - the guy who broke the Janata Party in 1980 to become the PM from Congress support for a few months. Wah Modji Wah! :congrats: This is mainly because RLD is thinking of joiniung NDA breaking away from I.N.D.. RLD's head is Charan Singh's grandson Jayant Singh. . 

Merits of the award aside, there is a time and place for everything, beyond which relevance is lost. Charan Singh passed away long back and even his son Ajit passed away two years ago, at 82 years of age. Give the award when the awardee is still around and healthy enough to appreciate and enjoy it! 

6 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Can you imagine someone like Sardar Patel who is literally the architect of modern India - someone who negotiated unification of the country as it stands today with 500+ princely states ? He is also the brain behind all India administrative services. 

There was no concept of Bharat ratna in his time . It was introduced in 1954 only for people which are alive . In 1966 this was changed to award it to lal bahadur shastri post humously 

On 2/9/2024 at 11:13 AM, coffee_rules said:

The joy I felt with the MSS announcement is tempered by this dilution of BR's value. It's like giving Henry Kissinger, Yasser Arafat and Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Prize.

And BTW, IIRC, it wasn't few months of PM-ship. It was 13 days!

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

On 2/9/2024 at 4:13 PM, coffee_rules said:

We have a "Mushhar community" in Uttar Pradesh. Mushhar comes from the term Mush which means Rat and they are supposed to be living on eating field Rats and I know that this community live all across India on same lifestyle. They used to live and worked as permanent labourer, even now they never sit other than ground even at homes of HArijan Community(Same community which gets Kanhaiya Kumar talking social injustice of Past among Hindus. I doubt even he will share dininning table with them ).  They used to live in mud houses outside village. The only place they get water from is their own Well which they dug themselves.

It pains me even now, when I reminsce how these people were relying on leftover foods. They are soo poor that any Government scheme to help them never reached them no matter what. These guys are still treated as animals, yes animals and there are no records of such people as people but they were just a number on some table/column of Government Human Rseource Minstry.

Thank to Modiji, 70+ years of Independence, that a lot of these people atleast have now got a house and electricity and food (Allthough still outside the villages). Villagers still treat them as animals (iirespectve of which cast the villagers are). And this is one of the key reason why I think any schemes on poverty,education and economic indicator for poor under previous regimes , I call Bull Shyte Schemes as none ever worked.

To me, If one of their kids makes it to a government job, Its similar to someone making it to ISRO Scientist Community. I hope now you understand what Charan Singh a Jat making to PM under Nehuru rule of India signifies.

Now, just think How Great and brilliant Dr Ambedkarji was. I get awed just reading him that how brilliant he was at articulating the thoughts and issues

Edited by mishra

2 hours ago, mishra said:

We have a "Mushhar community" in Uttar Pradesh. Mushhar comes from the term Mush which means Rat and they are supposed to be living on eating field Rats and I know that this community live all across India on same lifestyle. They used to live and worked as permanent labourer, even now they never sit other than ground even at homes of HArijan Community(Same community which gets Kanhaiya Kumar talking social injustice of Past among Hindus. I doubt even he will share dininning table with them ).  They used to live in mud houses outside village. The only place they get water from is their own Well which they dug themselves.

It pains me even now, when I reminsce how these people were relying on leftover foods. They are soo poor that any Government scheme to help them never reached them no matter what. These guys are still treated as animals, yes animals and there are no records of such people as people but they were just a number on some table/column of Government Human Rseource Minstry.

Thank to Modiji, 70+ years of Independence, that a lot of these people atleast have now got a house and electricity and food (Allthough still outside the villages). Villagers still treat them as animals (iirespectve of which cast the villagers are). And this is one of the key reason why I think any schemes on poverty,education and economic indicator for poor under previous regimes , I call Bull Shyte Schemes as none ever worked.

To me, If one of their kids makes it to a government job, Its similar to someone making it to ISRO Scientist Community. I hope now you understand what Charan Singh a Jat making to PM under Nehuru rule of India signifies.

Now, just think How Great and brilliant Dr Ambedkarji was. I get awed just reading him that how brilliant he was at articulating the thoughts and issues

Doesn’t negate the fact that the award was given with political machinations. Still find him and Chandrashekhar beoming PM not on their merit but because of politics. Devegowda also became PM in a similar way. 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:23 AM, rangeelaraja said:

Isn’t it shocking that Vikram Sarabhai - the principal founder and brain behind what ISRO is today hasn’t got the Bharat Ratna. Vikram Sarabhai is also the founder of IIM -A  - Indias crown jewel management institute . 

Ditto with Varghese Kurien - the founder and brain behind Amul / cooperative dairy - the father of the milk revolution in India whose social impact in India is beyond words. 

Am sure at some point both of them will get the Bharat Ratna - it’s just not politically beneficial right now - because that’s what decides timing of the Bharat Ratna awards. 

Whats the point of giving Bharat Ratna posthumously- 30/40 years after someone has passed away ? Does the govt wake up after 40 years and realize - “ We think you are a Bharat Ratna”  , we want to thank you for your social impact. 

He gets Bharat Ratna in 1990 - 40 years after his death in 1950, while Sachin Tendulkar gets it soon after his retirement in 2013 at the age of 40, because he does a behind the close doors agreement  with the then ruling Congress party to be their nominated Rajya sabha MP, with a promise to give him Bharat Ratna - so that INC could benefit in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. 

This is the “value “ of Bharat Ratna. 

there are several scientists who deserved it too. Like JC Bose