Yashasvi Jaiswal - Terminator

2 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Gawaskar. Scored more than 450 runs in his debut series against mighty Wesi Indies 

That was not mighty West Indies by any means.They did not have any fast bowlers in that WI team.

BTW he scored 774 runs in that series.

People tend  to forget Gavaskar faced mighty four pronged WI bowlers only twice in his career both in 1983.He flopped in WI but was moderately successful in return series.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That was not mighty West Indies by any means.They did not have any fast bowlers in that WI team.

People tend  to forget Gavaskar faced mighty four pronged WI bowlers only twice in his career both in 1983.He flopped in WI but was moderately successful in return series.

774 is huge runs by debutant 

2 minutes ago, tweaker said:

I think it was and is a world record. WI started having a fearsome, four pronged pace attack only after 1975 but they did have Hall and some other quick bowler in Gavaskar's debut series. It wasn't a fearsome attack, but wasn't a dud attack either. 

19 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Gavaskar was a special player, people mock him about talking about only milestones.They tend to forget in those days a draw was win for Indian team.He has his flaws but he is the one who laid the foundation of batsmanship in India.

Him scoring 100 meant India was not losing the match.It is only after Kapil Dev India started winning some series.

BTW Gavaskar scored 221 chasing 438 in fourth innings if only he had some guy who could take India over the finish line to score those 8 runs.India ended up with 429/8 it would have ended up as one of the greatest innings.

Edited by putrevus
2 hours ago, Tillu said:

Jaiswal will be the next ODI double centurian from India. Thought nobody could top Rohit in hitting sixes. But Jaiswal is next level. He is treating the spinners with utter disdain. Even pace bowlers. Never seen Anderson being treated like this. Will watch his career with great interest.

He made a debut in Tests in WI...  Wasn't picked for ODIs but played T20s. 

Probably wasn't in WC plans.  Tukuraj played ODI Series vs Aus before WC.  Jaiswal went to Asian Games. 

Missed ODI series in SA due to test preparation. 

Probably will play his first ODI in SL in June now. 

He will be crucial for us in CT25...  Could have a Dhawan like Tourney lol

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Gavaskar was a special player, people mock him about talking about only milestones.They tend to forget in those days a draw was win for Indian team.He has his flaws but he is the one who laid the foundation of batsmanship in India.

Him scoring 100 meant India was not losing the match.It is only after Kapil Dev India started winning some series.

BTW Gavaskar scored 221 chasing 429 in fourth innings if only he had some guy who could take India over the finish line to score those 8 runs.India ended up with 429/8 it would have ended up as one of the greatest innings.

He could thrash any bowling and bat fast, as he showed in his mid to late thirties. For me, he is the most complete batsman with impeccable technique and comfort against pace, swing and spin. 

2 minutes ago, nevada said:

He could thrash any bowling and bat fast, as he showed in his mid to late thirties. For me, he is the most complete batsman with impeccable technique and comfort against pace, swing and spin. 

People still talk about his innings of 96 in his last test in Banglore on a minefield against Pakistan as a template on how to play spin bowling.

If Sehwag's  Galle 201 was master class on how to attack spinners, this was masterclass on how to defend yet score runs against quality spinners that too on minefield. As he is getting old he has lost some of his vigor.

Make no mistake Gavaskar was a world class batsman and may be the best opener.

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

People still talk about his innings of 96 in his last test in Banglore on a minefield against Pakistan as a template on how to play spin bowling.

If Sehwag's  Galle 201 was master class on how to attack spinners, this was masterclass on how to defend yet score runs against quality spinners that too on minefield. As he is getting old he has lost some of his vigor.

Make no mistake Gavaskar was a world class batsman and may be the best opener.

post-WW2, it is likely that an all-time XI would have Hutton and Gavaskar, ahead of Sehwag, Boycs, Haydos, etc

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

I wouldn't  say scoring 121 off of 128 balls,90 from 120 balls  vs Holding-Marshall-Davis-Daniel and 236 from 425 balls vs Holding-Marshall-Roberts & Davis in the same series as doing 'moderately well'. Thats in the 'insanely good' category. I haven't checked the stats of that era, but i highly doubt there was any other batsman who smashed a century, a double and a 90 at nearly 70 strike rate in that era vs west indian bowling that included at least 2 of their fearsome foursome bowlers.

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

I wouldn't  say scoring 121 off of 128 balls,90 from 120 balls  vs Holding-Marshall-Davis-Daniel and 236 from 425 balls vs Holding-Marshall-Roberts & Davis in the same series as doing 'moderately well'. Thats in the 'insanely good' category. I haven't checked the stats of that era, but i highly doubt there was any other batsman who smashed a century, a double and a 90 at nearly 70 strike rate in that era vs west indian bowling that included at least 2 of their fearsome foursome bowlers.

winston davis was a cut below the rest of WI pacers of that time, but wayne daniel was very good - an excellent bowler of "heavy balls". hence, I would consider three bowlers to be genuinely top tier, and not just holding-marshall.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

winston davis was a cut below the rest of WI pacers of that time, but wayne daniel was very good - an excellent bowler of "heavy balls". hence, I would consider three bowlers to be genuinely top tier, and not just holding-marshall.

Ya, i see it still as a comparable attack to Steyn-Morkel-Philander-Ntini,if not better. And smashing them around multiple times in the same series is no joke. 

Btw, that series also has one of Viv's best sledges to Sunny bhai. 

9 hours ago, nevada said:

That is very disappointing. 

9 hours ago, putrevus said:

Tendulkar took a decade to score double 100 and never scored 500 runs in series . Jaiswal did all that in his third series and 7th test.

its because mostly at his peak Sachin played 2 match and 3 match series, and not like 4 and 5 match series like Kohli etc do nowadays. BCCI didnt have much clout those times, Sachin scored 403 in a 2 match series, he scored 493 in a 4 match series, he crossed 400 regularly in 3 match series, you really think he wouldnt have crossed 500 in regular 5 match series. Sachin played 5 match series only twice, once as a 19 year old and once with tennis elbow injury. So many of his series were 1 or 2 match series. Changing oppositions and pitches and yet he still made most runs of the years many time in test matches.

Its very like Willaimson who has never crosses 500 in a series because NZ has no clout so he mostly plays 2 and 3 match series yet is considered one of the big 4. 

Whats hilarious is that posters like @putrevus who are in a cult of Kohli attack every single Indian past legend like Sachin, Gambhir Sehwag, etc and then act surprised when Kohli gets hate in return. 1) Pulling down past legends doesnt make Kohli better and 2) It only increases the Kohli hate when he falters. Fans like him are big time responsible for the hate Kohli gets.

Edited by New guy
22 minutes ago, New guy said:

its because mostly at his peak Sachin played 2 match and 3 match series, and not like 4 and 5 match series like Kohli etc do nowadays. BCCI didnt have much clout those times, Sachin scored 403 in a 2 match series, he scored 493 in a 4 match series, he crossed 400 regularly in 3 match series, you really think he wouldnt have crossed 500 in regular 5 match series. Sachin played 5 match series only twice, once as a 19 year old and once with tennis elbow injury. So many of his series were 1 or 2 match series. Changing oppositions and pitches and yet he still made most runs of the years many time in test matches.

Its very like Willaimson who has never crosses 500 in a series because NZ has no clout so he mostly plays 2 and 3 match series yet is considered one of the big 4. 

Whats hilarious is that posters like @putrevus who are in a cult of Kohli attack every single Indian past legend like Sachin, Gambhir Sehwag, etc and then act surprised when Kohli gets hate in return. 1) Pulling down past legends doesnt make Kohli better and 2) It only increases the Kohli hate when he falters. Fans like him are big time responsible for the hate Kohli gets.

Stop giving excuses. Jaiswal did that in his first 6 tests.

Sachin never had ability of Lara to score big hundreds .  He never was the match winner to match his talents.

He was a very good compiler of stats .

I never mentioned Kohli in my post. I don’t have any Kohli favoritism,  calling Kohli far better Odi batsman than Sachin ever was is fact.

I don’t care if you hate Kohli or love Kohli.

what is this peak nonsense you keep giving excuses for Sachin.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Sachin never had ability of Lara to score big hundreds .  He never was the match winner to match his talents.

I never mentioned Kohli in my post. I don’t have any Kohli favoritism,  calling Kohli far better Odi batsman than Sachin ever was is fact.

not this nonsense again. 

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

But Sachin was far more consistent than Lara.

Lara does have daddy hundreds, but he also used to get out cheaply for a lot of times. Sachin was superconsistent in that manner.

Sachin didn't average less than 40 in any of the Test playing nation, Lara averaged under 40 in 2 of the nations.

Lara was destructive on his day, but Sachin was a performer who will come at you at any day, any condition, any situation. He managed to race ahead of his counterparts simply because he was more adaptable and had more range than any of his competitors. 

Even in the ODI's, Sachin had a far superior SR than Lara or Ponting who were considered more aggressive.

This in no way undermines what Lara has achieved, but calling Sachin a "compiler of stats" isn't correct. If anything, that should go to Sangakkara, Chanderpaul or Kallis.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

This is what happens if you read through stats and have not lived through an era. You don’t know or feel the impact of the 1998 test that he took on Warne in the second test in India. He totally demolished Warne for life. The chase in Chennai in 2008.