'They couldn't even run 2 kms.

'They couldn't even run 2 kms. When fat levels were checked...': Hafeez fumes at Babar Azam for Pakistan fitness culture

Mohammad Hafeez lashed out at former Pakistan captain Babar Azam for poor fitness culture in the team

Mohammad Hafeez lashed out at former Pakistan captain Babar Azam for poor fitness culture in the team© Provided by Hindustan Times

Less than a week after being sacked as the men’s team director, Mohammad Hafeez lashed out at former captain Babar Azam for the poor fitness culture in the Pakistan team. The former Pakistan all-rounder was let go from his position after the team's brutal 1-4 loss against New Zealand in a T20I series. Hafeez had a four-year contract with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), but his contract was cut short, following which he took to social media to say that he would reveal the true reason behind Pakistan's poor run in international cricket.

Speaking on the Pakistani sports channel - A Sports, Hafeez shockingly revealed that when the team had travelled to Australia, he had asked for a fitness report on all the players, which is when he was made aware that the team management, comprising the then-skipper Babar, had specified that fitness was not their priority to check players.

“When we went to Australia, I told the players to take care of their fitness levels. I also asked the trainer about the fitness of the players. He told me a shocking thing that six months ago captain (Babar Azam) and Director of Cricket (Mickey Arthur) told me to stop checking the players on the fitness parameters and let them play the way they want," Hafeez said.

The veteran cricketer further said that the players could not even complete trial runs of 2 kilometres while their fat levels revealed that they were completely unfit to play at the international level.

"When the fat levels of the players were checked, the skin fold of all of them was high - for most players it was 1.5 times the limit. They were unfit and some of them couldn’t complete a 2 KM trial run. The decision taken 6 months back overruled the set criteria for fitness. You will suffer defeats if the fitness is like that,” he added.

Pakistan had failed to make the semifinals in the 2023 ODI World Cup in India last October. Following the poor campaign, Babar lost his position as a captain as Pakistan made wholesome changes across formats in terms of captaincy. However, Pakistan's fate remained the same as they were whitewashed in the Test series in Australia in December followed by a T20I series loss in New Zealand.

Hafeez throwing lot of people under the bus after being sacked. :phehe:

Is Physical Education (PE) part of the education curriculum in the subcontinent?

In Australia, PE is an integral part of the school week, thats not counting the sports that are played by kids before,during and after school. Note most of the sports kids play are of a soccer, rugby, AFL variety. Its not really much cricket unless its summer where you just stand or bat or occasionally bowl all day and little to no physical exertion.

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Is Physical Education (PE) part of the education curriculum in the subcontinent?

In Australia, PE is an integral part of the school week, thats not counting the sports that are played by kids before,during and after school. Note most of the sports kids play are of a soccer, rugby, AFL variety. Its not really much cricket unless its summer where you just stand or bat or occasionally bowl all day and little to no physical exertion.

Haha well as far as i know the 'Games' period is usually forcefully taken by the Maths or science teachers to complete the syllabus

6 hours ago, Sooda said:

I dont believe this, just looking at their pacemen we can see its not true- even if their batsmen may be unfit

Most of all , Mickey Arthur would never allow such low standards to happen

Mickey doesn't like to run either - have you seen how he looks? When he is Pak coach, he adopts the Pak way.

Fitness has one key benefit that is beyond just physical.

During high pressure situations like world cup final, high fitness level ensures you put that extra 10% stamina required to put opposition out of the game with extreme focus.

This is exactly why US, European and Australian athletes consistently outperform Africa, Asia and South American opponents. They are both physically and mentally fit.

Look at Magnus Carlsen in chess, he is not even in a game where physical fitness is required but he is extremely fit physically and exercises a lot. 

In tournament situations this becomes extremely powerful as in the last stages of competition when everyone is fatigued playing tons of games, the fit individuals destroy them due to higher focus and stamina.

Indian cricket team ever since Rohit Sharma took over has precisely this issue. Unable to close out finals even in friendly home conditions. No stamina left in the tank to take game away from opposition.

This is why Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have struggled in last 10 years to catch up to Australia or even South Africa/England in pressure situations and tournaments even when they perform so well.

10 hours ago, Sooda said:

I dont believe this, just looking at their pacemen we can see its not true- even if their batsmen may be unfit

Most of all , Mickey Arthur would never allow such low standards to happen

Well at least during the WC we know that they couldn't keep all away from stuffing their faces with the fine fare that's on offer throught this country. Shadab even mentioned in an interview that perhaps they've been eating too much biryani. 

6 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

I jog 5 , 5.5 or 6 Km three times a week and walk 5 to 9 km during the other 4 days....

To be honest thats over doing it, you should be strength training ahead of all those days of running and walking as the first priority.

I only do the running to help with my MMA conditioning and thats only after a weights workout.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

first-grade whingers along with Eng

England atleast has something to show on the ground.

These nincompoops have nothing but "fantasy theories" as ready made excuses.

Some of them are

1. ICC = BCCI

2. BCCI is jealous of PCB

3. PSL >>>>>>>> IPL

4. BCCI has big markeet 

5. Lack of Protein by ICC=BCCI

6. MicroChips inside the ball by ICC=BCCI

7. Hawkeye tampering by ICC = BCCI 

8. Snicko tampering by ICC=BCCI

9. Pitch tampering by ICC=BCCI

10. Speedgun tampering by ICC=BCCI

11. Umpire on payroll of ICC=BCCI

Others can add 

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

To be honest thats over doing it, you should be strength training ahead of all those days of running and walking as the first priority.

I only do the running to help with my MMA conditioning and thats only after a weights workout.

push ups and weights too..thrice a week for sure..i am powerfully built 100 Kg now so always good in gymming and pushups