Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Rajiv

11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

sholday would 

naya daur would it has a great chase 

Mother India im not sure since ppl dont buy sad stories easily now

but they all were great films n stood the time. Film buss doesnt stand for good film.....had david dhawan made films today he wud have been a legend so wud have been RGV but in their times they werent . 

KKHH n DDLJ are not great films by any stretch of imagination .

No. Don't think Sholay or naya daur would have worked today.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

No. Don't think Sholay or naya daur would have worked today.

Sholay was a potboiler it ll work in any era. Surely cant keep the length of the film same an entertainer will work any era. When films like dabangg, singham, simba worked which was basically 80s potboiler cinema...sholay was miles ahead.

Even naya daur will work- provided length n everything are made acc to today. Whereas ddlj or kkhh on script level will not work only. 

5 hours ago, maniac said:

@Ankit_sharma03 did you just compare Rgv with David Dhawan?

One was a hack who stole from South Indian comedy films and made them over the top and gaudy and found success and the other RGV was a guy who changed the entire  film Industry as it is today. Obviously he had an expiry date but it’s blasphemy to put the 2 as film makers in the same sentence.

Hey bhagwan where did i compare them ??? 

I said 2 film makers who if they had made films in diff times wud have diff status n rewards. Ill add one more name abbas mustan. All of their films wud have had more success now instead of johar n chopra films in todays time . RGV for me was betted then kashyap. David dhawan n he cant be compared ....i compared him to rohit shetty. 

Rohit got the succcess which david deserved...kashyap got what rgv deserved. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

53 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sholay was a potboiler it ll work in any era. Surely cant keep the length of the film same an entertainer will work any era. When films like dabangg, singham, simba worked which was basically 80s potboiler cinema...sholay was miles ahead.

Even naya daur will work- provided length n everything are made acc to today. Whereas ddlj or kkhh on script level will not work only. 

Hey bhagwan where did i compare them ??? 

I said 2 film makers who if they had made films in diff times wud have diff status n rewards. Ill add one more name abbas mustan. All of their films wud have had more success now instead of johar n chopra films in todays time . RGV for me was betted then kashyap. David dhawan n he cant be compared ....i compared him to rohit shetty. 

Rohit got the succcess which david deserved...kashyap got what rgv deserved. 

You are mistaken that Sholay's story and script are as irrelevant today as kkhh or ddlj. Sholay wasn't a potboiler cinema. 

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You are mistaken that Sholay's story and script are as irrelevant today as kkhh or ddlj. Sholay wasn't a potboiler cinema. 

sholay was a revenge saga....revenge saga will work even 100 years from now . It was heavily inspired by seven samurai a film which came around 1955 i think and sholay 20 years later....and revenge saga works till date . 

sholay wasnt a potboiler ??? haha then what was it ?? 

Ramesh Sippy’s 'Sholay' was a cult movie that significantly contributed in designing the course of pot-boiler entertainment in many ways. Indian films have always been a mixed bag of clichés and of hackneyed plots; 'Sholay' gave the filmmakers fodder for a perfect pot-boiler masala. '

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/5-bollywood-trends-that-germinated-from-ramesh-sippys-sholay-1038381.html

Seeking inspiration from films like Seven Samurai and Once Upon A Time In The West, Ramesh Sippy turned this  vendetta-story into a hardcore commercial potboiler that had all the ingredients one needs to make one

https://bollyworm.com/features/what-makes-ramesh-sippys-sholay-a-classic/

For every time I watch Sholay telling myself that it is nothing more than a 'brazen potboiler,' the movie works.

https://www.rediff.com/movies/column/sreehari-nair-the-sins-of-sholay/20150817.htm

Do a google search or ask any one they ll tell u it was a potboiler infact almost a perfect one 

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

sholay was a revenge saga....revenge saga will work even 100 years from now . It was heavily inspired by seven samurai a film which came around 1955 i think and sholay 20 years later....and revenge saga works till date . 

sholay wasnt a potboiler ??? haha then what was it ?? 

Ramesh Sippy’s 'Sholay' was a cult movie that significantly contributed in designing the course of pot-boiler entertainment in many ways. Indian films have always been a mixed bag of clichés and of hackneyed plots; 'Sholay' gave the filmmakers fodder for a perfect pot-boiler masala. '

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/5-bollywood-trends-that-germinated-from-ramesh-sippys-sholay-1038381.html

Seeking inspiration from films like Seven Samurai and Once Upon A Time In The West, Ramesh Sippy turned this  vendetta-story into a hardcore commercial potboiler that had all the ingredients one needs to make one

https://bollyworm.com/features/what-makes-ramesh-sippys-sholay-a-classic/

For every time I watch Sholay telling myself that it is nothing more than a 'brazen potboiler,' the movie works.

https://www.rediff.com/movies/column/sreehari-nair-the-sins-of-sholay/20150817.htm

Do a google search or ask any one they ll tell u it was a potboiler infact almost a perfect one 

It was a revenge drama but it's premise isn't relevant today. 

Pelli choopulu - overrated , drag of a film

Oh my kaduvale - another overrated film

North 24 katham - lost its way in between but very decent film.....fahad as usual is top notch

Moneyball - i was very involved but kind of lost patience in end

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - no words... Brilliant

Charlie - didnt like it....left in between

@Ankit_sharma03

I think Yash Chopra (and to a lesser extent KaJo) had his finger on the nations pulse. He knew what would work when.

Deewar, Chandni, Lamhe, Silsila, DDLJ, Veer-Zara, Mohabbatein he knew what the audience would appreciate.

DDLJ was the first major film to tap into the NRI market. Partly because the characters were NRIs/PIOs.

Forget re-release. Try going to Maratha Mandir on a weekday for the DDLJ 11am screening. Its not necessary that you would always get a ticket at the counter. It still has some pull.

A love story, that too a timeless one like DDLJ, will always get in the audiences. It has a huge 'feel good effect' about itself that a Sholay or a Satya or a Naya Daur don't.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Ankit_sharma03

I think Yash Chopra (and to a lesser extent KaJo) had his finger on the nations pulse. He knew what would work when.

Deewar, Chandni, Lamhe, Silsila, DDLJ, Veer-Zara, Mohabbatein he knew what the audience would appreciate.

DDLJ was the first major film to tap into the NRI market. Partly because the characters were NRIs/PIOs.

Forget re-release. Try going to Maratha Mandir on a weekday for the DDLJ 11am screening. Its not necessary that you would always get a ticket at the counter. It still has some pull.

A love story, that too a timeless one like DDLJ, will always get in the audiences. It has a huge 'feel good effect' about itself that a Sholay or a Satya or a Naya Daur don't.

Yash chopra was very good....but think both aditya n karan are srsly overrated thats why they are living on one films name whole life. Their others films didny recieve same response even though earned money .

Ddlj aint timeless... The basic idea of a guy wanting to get approval wont stand time . Infact most love stories conflict wont stand time. Recently kjo only said in an interview love stories aint working in bollywood so they are not producing it for big screen anymore. In maratha mandir ull find die hard fans but question is - is it making new fans ? 

If a film that has grown among ppl its andaz apna apna . Not denying its impact specially nri market but it aint relevant anymore.....films catering local flavor came back n how. Catering nri audience was just a phase which these guys exploited . 

Ddlj more then feel good will fall under romantic films. A film like banglore days will fall under feel good films. 

Nay daur was more of underdog story which will work across era.

Sholay revenge saga - will work always. 

If you want to understand the 2007-08 financial crisis first watch Inside Job (2010), then The Big Short (2015), you'll enjoy them both but watch in the order I mentioned . I also watched Queen of Versailles, nothing special, deals with the crisis peripherally and the characters are annoying, but if you are interested in the lives of the super-rich and how they were affected go ahead.

Next in line, already started Collapse

8566Q0s.jpg

Once I have finished them all, I can recommend which all are worth watching and the proper order. 

There are a few more movies and docs about not just the financial crisis but economy in general, once I am done with these I will open my EHD for more of this stuff. The ones mentioned in previous post are the more popular ones post 2008. I come from engineering background, so these helped me get some idea about an alien subject. Man these economists and wall street jackasses deliberately complicate simpler stuff to confuse the general population, uppity SOBs, then people blame us STEM folks for using too much jargon. 

@velu you are from economics background? Have you watched any of these movies? 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

There are a few more movies and docs about not just the financial crisis but economy in general, once I am done with these I will open my EHD for more of this stuff. The ones mentioned in previous post are the more popular ones post 2008. I come from engineering background, so these helped me get some idea about an alien subject. Man these economists and wall street jackasses deliberately complicate simpler stuff to confuse the general population, uppity SOBs, then people blame us STEM folks for using too much jargon. 

@velu you are from economics background? Have you watched any of these movies? 

bc .. i was a hardcore c programmer  :csk: :hs: 

i watched margin call , too big to fail and collapse in your list ..  collapse is a boring documentary

watch boiler room , big short , rogue trader , arbitrage , wolf of wall stree ( both if you had not watched )

barbarians at the gate is my favorite finance related book , but the movie is not as good as the book 

On 4/5/2020 at 6:34 AM, Gollum said:

If you want to understand the 2007-08 financial crisis first watch Inside Job (2010), then The Big Short (2015), you'll enjoy them both but watch in the order I mentioned . I also watched Queen of Versailles, nothing special, deals with the crisis peripherally and the characters are annoying, but if you are interested in the lives of the super-rich and how they were affected go ahead.

Next in line, already started Collapse

8566Q0s.jpg

Once I have finished them all, I can recommend which all are worth watching and the proper order. 

I have seen the last 3. Wall Street is a typical masala movie, not that good rest are pretty good.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:57 AM, velu said:

bc .. i was a hardcore c programmer  :csk: :hs: 

i watched margin call , too big to fail and collapse in your list ..  collapse is a boring documentary

watch boiler room , big short , rogue trader , arbitrage , wolf of wall stree ( both if you had not watched )

barbarians at the gate is my favorite finance related book , but the movie is not as good as the book 

I liked Boiler room better than Wolf of Wall Street. Also weird watching Vin diesel not blowing up stuff or beating up people

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

I liked Boiler room better than Wolf of Wall Street. Also weird watching Vin diesel not blowing up stuff or beating up people

boiler room is closer to real about pump and dump , but WWS is more fun to watch :Giggity:

i think these pump and dump scams are far more prevalent in our market even now .. use to receive 3/4 calls and few SMS everyday from indore alone :mad: 

On 3/27/2020 at 8:48 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kaithi - now thats what u call a masala action film.....total blast of a film

Action movie of John Wick genre. Amazing , but a bit of melodrama expected in an Indian movie, is kahani mein action hain, emotion hain, drama hain, melodrama hain, tragedy hain,  felt like killing that snitch of a cop with the white t-shirt myself. Lotsa of emotion

@Gollum

Ended up seeing the first two episodes of Chernobyl. You, as well as the others who suggested it, are right. It is a well made docu-series.

However, I decided to stop viewing it. It is all the more depressing given our current situation. Maybe a few months ahead in less gloomy times.

One can't help but notice the similarity with the situation today. The political class (US mainly) refusing to pay heed to the scientists. Replace firefighters with health workers, faulty dosimeters with insufficient/subpar testing and radiation with corona virus. Far too many parallels to spook me out. 

Your other recommendations too, time permitting: "Hum dekhenge... lazim hai ki hum bhi dekhenge"

26 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

Ended up seeing the first two episodes of Chernobyl. You, as well as the others who suggested it, are right. It is a well made docu-series.

However, I decided to stop viewing it. It is all the more depressing given our current situation. Maybe a few months ahead in less gloomy times.

One can't help but notice the similarity with the situation today. The political class (US mainly) refusing to pay heed to the scientists. Replace firefighters with health workers, faulty dosimeters with insufficient/subpar testing and radiation with corona virus. Far too many parallels to spook me out. 

Your other recommendations too, time permitting: "Hum dekhenge... lazim hai ki hum bhi dekhenge"

Yes, lots of articles in US press comparing the current situation to Chernobyl. Makes Chernobyl even more 'universal' in some sense...no longer can the Americans sneer at Russians and think this would never happen here.