Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Rajiv

Katilon ke Katil (1981)

Wanted to see a film staring Rishi Kapoor. This one is a multi starer so also has Dharmendra, Zeenat Aman, Tina Munim, and Amjad Khan. 

It is a typical 80s masala action fun film so will not win awards. Good for a laid back time pass. Liked some songs as well. It was a box office hit. 

Paatal lok is so brilliant, probably the best wb series to come out of India. Story, characters, dialogues excellent and so are the actors - Jaydeep Ahlawat, Abhishek Bannerji, Neeraj Kabi, Swastika Mukherji, Gul.Panag, Ishwak Singh and even the actors doing small characters like Cheeni, Chaku, Firangi.. all so good :bow:

Saw Sonar Kella  by Satyajit Ray.

I quite liked it. Totally gripping movie.

Saw it with subtitles and I'm not a fan of that. Would love to see a version that is dubbed.

Bengali is difficult to comprehend. Aside of a few words here and there, I didn't follow much. Or maybe the Bengali used here is a pure/text book kind.

I'm kind of spooked too.

Will have to keep the lights switched on in all the rooms for a while, much to the displeasure of the others.

35 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Saw Sonar Kella  by Satyajit Ray.

I quite liked it. Totally gripping movie.

Saw it with subtitles and I'm not a fan of that. Would love to see a version that is dubbed.

Bengali is difficult to comprehend. Aside of a few words here and there, I didn't follow much. Or maybe the Bengali used here is a pure/text book kind.

I'm kind of spooked too.

Will have to keep the lights switched on in all the rooms for a while, much to the displeasure of the others.

Hadn't you watched it earlier? I remember you recommending this movie to me a long time back. 

Bengali is quite easy to follow, watch a few more movies and you will find it easier. For sure simpler than all Southie languages especially for someone with your background. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hadn't you watched it earlier? I remember you recommending this movie to me a long time back. 

Bengali is quite easy to follow, watch a few more movies and you will find it easier. For sure simpler than all Southie languages especially for someone with your background. 

Not in one continuous sitting. Had seen it over a period of 2-3 days.

It is a nice movie. I won't give out spoilers, but the narration is great for a story that has been done to death in Bollywood at least. Probably he set the trend for movies of this genre.

I seen six of Satyajit Ray's movies thus far.

Apu Triology

Sonar Kella

Shatranj ke Khiladi ( Hindi, and the worst of the six)

Charulata

Yes, Bengali is easier than South Indian languages. Maybe these guys speak very fast. And it seems very tonal.

16 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Not in one continuous sitting. Had seen it over a period of 2-3 days.

It is a nice movie. I won't give out spoilers, but the narration is great for a story that has been done to death in Bollywood at least. Probably he set the trend for movies of this genre.

I seen six of Satyajit Ray's movies thus far.

Apu Triology

Sonar Kella

Shatranj ke Khiladi ( Hindi, and the worst of the six)

Charulata

Yes, Bengali is easier than South Indian languages. Maybe these guys speak very fast. And it seems very tonal.

Watch Agantuk. Have some kickass South movie recommendations if you are in the mood. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:12 AM, Mariyam said:

Sure go ahead.

On which platform do I see Agantuk?

PS: found it on YT.

Take Off, Virus and Sudani from Nigeria, all Mallu movies. Tamil ones, try Vada Chennai and Merku Thodarchi Malai. All these are recent flicks, last 5 years. Don't want to list 10-20 movies else you may feel discouraged. Just try a few of these and let me know what you think. I will recommend more based on your feedback :icflove:, and there are other posters here who know much more about South cinema, in fact if you go 3-4 pages back it was them that got me interested in the first place. My view of South movies has changed thanks to them. 

If you want the torrent link and subtitles I can PM you.

Edited by Gollum

On 5/18/2020 at 9:19 PM, Sgattick10 said:

Paatal lok is so brilliant, probably the best wb series to come out of India. Story, characters, dialogues excellent and so are the actors - Jaydeep Ahlawat, Abhishek Bannerji, Neeraj Kabi, Swastika Mukherji, Gul.Panag, Ishwak Singh and even the actors doing small characters like Cheeni, Chaku, Firangi.. all so good :bow:

Agree. Fantastic series.

No doubt old mate @coffee_rules will throw a tantrum about this. But than again, he gets his "gyaan" from Twitter. Not a chap anyone should take seriously.

6 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Agree. Fantastic series.

No doubt old mate @coffee_rules will throw a tantrum about this. But than again, he gets his "gyaan" from Twitter. Not a chap anyone should take seriously.

Well, good for you. Nobody is forcing you not to like it.  you guys deserve such series,  But in SM it gets the treatment it deserves. 

Edited by coffee_rules

@Gollum

I saw Virus. Thought it would be apt to see this particular movie given the condition that the world is in. Just today Maharashtra has almost 3000 new cases. :(( 

I liked the movie over all. If you try and relate the response of the medical team today and their measures re:PPE and all that, the makers of the movie have got a lot of stuff right. The docudrama style narration is also really nice. They say that this is based on true events. Does Kerala have a centralized epidemiology department. The level of co-ordination among various departments seems too good to be true. If the health care in Kerala is really this organized, hats off!

What I did not like is that there are far too many characters in this movie. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track. They should have made a series out of this.

Parts of the movie, especially those to do with the silent spread of the virus are similar to the plot line in Robin Cook's book Vector.

All in all I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation.

15 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Well, good for you. Nobody is forcing you not to like it.  you guys deserve such series,  But in SM it gets the treatment it deserves. 

Pataal Lok is riveting viewing. Along with the likes of Sacred Games and a couple of episodes of Quantico.

Perhaps not to the liking of you and your coffee drinking high horse.

45 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Pataal Lok is riveting viewing. Along with the likes of Sacred Games and a couple of episodes of Quantico.

Perhaps not to the liking of you and your coffee drinking high horse.

Couldn't watch beyond first episode. Very stale subject. Been there, seen that stuff. 

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

I saw Virus. Thought it would be apt to see this particular movie given the condition that the world is in. Just today Maharashtra has almost 3000 new cases. :(( 

I liked the movie over all. If you try and relate the response of the medical team today and their measures re:PPE and all that, the makers of the movie have got a lot of stuff right. The docudrama style narration is also really nice. They say that this is based on true events. Does Kerala have a centralized epidemiology department. The level of co-ordination among various departments seems too good to be true. If the health care in Kerala is really this organized, hats off!

What I did not like is that there are far too many characters in this movie. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track. They should have made a series out of this.

Parts of the movie, especially those to do with the silent spread of the virus are similar to the plot line in Robin Cook's book Vector.

All in all I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Actually thats what i liked about virus that it didnt follow any 1-2 particular character. It was about ppl who got together and worked together to get over that crisis. ...no bullshiting around....

If u wanna see such kind of subject with human stories its Chernobyl  but then that was a series that had time to do it but with films its not that easy. They took more of thriller approach to keep audience engaged.