Mayank agarwal-future sehwag Do u agree?

skindia

On 11/1/2019 at 12:05 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Nope, sehwag was about mindset and such mindset comes once in ages.

I find it funny how ppl compare anyone who plays attacking cricket to sehwag. 

Sehwag wasn't just about mindset but ability as well. Afridi had same mindset where did he end up?

On 11/2/2019 at 4:41 AM, vvvslaxman said:

You don't see sehwag "seeing off" new ball in India lol Ask steyn. after being on the field for more than a day and half he came out blasted his way to 319. 

Yeah Sehwag wouldn't have lasted on slight help tracks like Ahmedabad 76 all out. He knew only one way to play, my way or highway.

48 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yeah Sehwag wouldn't have lasted on slight help tracks like Ahmedabad 76 all out. He knew only one way to play, my way or highway.

It doesn't matter. Sehwag was definitely one of a kind.  No opener in the history had that mindset may be with an exception of Srikkanth. But he didn't make it count a lot with that approach. Having said that Mayank is the closest we get to replace Sehwag. His aggressive game against spinners are eerily similar to Sehwag. He just obliterated them. 

44 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

It doesn't matter. Sehwag was definitely one of a kind.  No opener in the history had that mindset may be with an exception of Srikkanth. But he didn't make it count a lot with that approach. Having said that Mayank is the closest we get to replace Sehwag. His aggressive game against spinners are eerily similar to Sehwag. He just obliterated them. 

It's just not mindset. Mindset alone can't do anything. You need ability too, many players have the mindset but don't have the ability. Aggarwal had the same mindset in first few years but that didn't take him anywhere and in order to succeed, he had to change his mindset. Warner has same mindset and some ability to back it too but he too struggles in slightly helpful conditions.

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It's just not mindset. Mindset alone can't do anything. You need ability too, many players have the mindset but don't have the ability. Aggarwal had the same mindset in first few years but that didn't take him anywhere and in order to succeed, he had to change his mindset. Warner has same mindset and some ability to back it too but he too struggles in slightly helpful conditions.

Sehwag never changed till he retired.  You have to factor in he was not a natural opener. He was a converted opener. So it is all the more creditable to finish a career with a Test strike rate of 80 average close to 50. 

47 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sehwag never changed till he retired.  You have to factor in he was not a natural opener. He was a converted opener. So it is all the more creditable to finish a career with a Test strike rate of 80 average close to 50. 

Sehwag did change his mindset, he had to do it during 2006-2008 when he was struggling badly. He missed WC 2007, wasn't picked for Aus 2007-08 tour due to his poor form. His dismissals were cringe worthy. But he was called back mid Aussie tour in 2008 and he batted differently when he came back and not the usual Sehwag way to get his form back. No one can take things for granted. When things don't work, you have to change your ways.

10 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Sehwag did change his mindset, he had to do it during 2006-2008 when he was struggling badly. He missed WC 2007, wasn't picked for Aus 2007-08 tour due to his poor form. His dismissals were cringe worthy. But he was called back mid Aussie tour in 2008 and he batted differently when he came back and not the usual Sehwag way to get his form back. No one can take things for granted. When things don't work, you have to change your ways.

I don't think he ever changed his batting style to a point where his strike rate got a dip for prolonged period. His strike rate was always pretty decent even when he was going through a bad patch.  I remember he was going through a rut when he toured SA. They even pushed him down the order asked KKD to open. Even there he played a couple of cameos rather than cautiously.  33 runs in 29 balls at Johanausburg, 40 in 49 balls at capetown. Seeing this 40 TM decided to push him up the order again in the 2nd innings. But he failed. He never changed his batting approach. Mayank doesn't mind going through a period where he is like 10 of 35 balls even in Indian condition. I don't recall Sehwag playing that way especially in Indian conditions.

I think Mayank will have a Michael hussey like career..someone who can play impactful match winning innings.. I'm actually happy that we have finally found somebody like him who is a late bloomer of sorts...pretty good option than trying some youngster with mixed results. This should motivate other aged domestic champs.

It has actually become very predictable and boring to see all these under 24 players becoming stalwarts of India since mid 90s. Nice change.

Edited by Vk1