Mallu power! New York Times apologizes for cartoon maligning India

Precambrian

No ...it would be very apt...though not fully accurate because homeless people can't afford the nano.....replace with a middle class fellow and then it would be apt .
Beets - Just for discussion sakes (and discussion sakes only), lets discussing the following hypothetical. Lets just say that currently, i do not have the money to buy a rolls-royce (Its not an assumption, i clearly do not have the money to buy a Rolls. :D). Lets just I worked really hard and made a sh!t load of money and became super-rich (not likely,with my laziness, but lets say it somehow happened..:D). I have a lot of money now. So i want to buy a fancy car. I walk into a Rolls-Royce dealership in town and ask to be shown a Phanton. The guy at the door looks at me and goes.. 'Oh didnt expect to see you here.. You have the money to buy a Rolls eh?..' I'd be extremely offended. Wouldnt you as well? How is this cartoon any different to the above?

I am not usually the over-sensitive type, but i really dont see the point of this cartoon. The official explanation was that this cartoon was meant to portray that space exploration was not just a domain of rich, western nations.. What is that even supposed to mean? If i drew a similar cartoon replacing the Western folks in the room with rich looking people and their fancy cars and replaced the farmer and his cow with a homeless looking man and a tata nano and captioned it - 'Look, its not just rich people who can buy cars, even the poor ones can..' would you not think it to be pretty elitist and offensive? And I have to say - It takes tremendous skill to somehow mis-handle what was essentially a huge triumph of Indian innovation and a great leap for mankind in general and make it look like rich v poor thingy. It shows that the cartoonist (and NY times) completely miss the point of space exploration. There's a reason why only 40% of all mars missions have succeeded, despite the fact that those space agencies have access to endlessly more resources than ISRO. Mars exploration is an incredibly difficult thing to do. The more I read about the details of this project, the more i am amazed how we got it right in our first try. This feat needs to be commended, instead of being stereotyped.
The cartoon is left to viewers interpretation. There is a reason why it is called cartoon. We should not take it literally. Back in the 80s Vikatan editor was arrested for a harmless joke about politicians. People took the side of cartoonist and the press. Also the opinion pages, cartoon pages are opinion of individual not the entire news paper. NY Times carried lot of good articles about Indians as well. But performing internet dharna until you get apology is way over the top reaction from us. We have to get rid of the habit of expecting "constant validation" from the west. It is not like all of a sudden whole world is going to view differently after this apology. My personal take is it was drawn by a chinese who might have had an agenda. Who knows. It is not a racist joke as lot of us claim. NOthing to do with racism. AT best a stereo type which we are used to seeing in american sitcoms. We are pretty immune to that by now.

^ If people have different opinions on a cartoon' date=' then those ranting on the page were just casting their opinions, right?[/quote'] Yes.. i am making opinion on them. too :cantstop: I don't want an apology from them too. But it is a habit i frequently see among us. Mob mentality is one reason. One guy does. Everyone follows without question or analysis.

The guy at the door looks at me and goes.. 'Oh didnt expect to see you here.. You have the money to buy a Rolls eh?..' I'd be extremely offended. Wouldnt you as well? How is this cartoon any different to the above?
Don't know about anybody else, but I'd surely not be offended. I'd reply I do have the money to buy the Rolls now, and maybe share with him how I ended up with the good fortune.

Beets - Just for discussion sakes (and discussion sakes only), lets discussing the following hypothetical. Lets just say that currently, i do not have the money to buy a rolls-royce (Its not an assumption, i clearly do not have the money to buy a Rolls. :D). Lets just I worked really hard and made a sh!t load of money and became super-rich (not likely,with my laziness, but lets say it somehow happened..:D). I have a lot of money now. So i want to buy a fancy car. I walk into a Rolls-Royce dealership in town and ask to be shown a Phanton. The guy at the door looks at me and goes.. 'Oh didnt expect to see you here.. You have the money to buy a Rolls eh?..' I'd be extremely offended. Wouldnt you as well? How is this cartoon any different to the above?
It is a question of interpretation. The cartoon clearly depicts how a humble space pro gramme has made it to the rich boys club ...and probably can't be ignored. As for you going to buy RR......you should give him a roll of the eyes and a cheeky smile and say "yeah boy....show me what you have"...and feel proud of it.:icflove:

It is a question of interpretation. The cartoon clearly depicts how a humble space pro gramme has made it to the rich boys club ...and probably can't be ignored. As for you going to buy RR......you should give him a roll of the eyes and a cheeky smile and say "yeah boy....show me what you have"...and feel proud of it.:icflove:
Usually there will be a verification from IT autorities if we book.. heck even if we step into an Audi/BMW showroom. :(( Let alone RR / Bentley walas

I think it's downright offensive and insulting. They're jealous that we have done it at a low cost the very first time. Even the western media is obsessed with how we're unable to feed the poor but are able to afford this. If no one raises his/her voice this will further continue and prove that we are spineless. No harm in raising your voice to object. At least they did that. Good on them. The tone of the cartoon would have been ok if the word elite was not mentioned. However that wasn't the case.