Netflix

zen

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I couldn't see beyond an episode and a half. Thought it was particularly bad. And unrealistic. All it had was shock value. 

A lot of the ideas the show explores are considered taboo and are discussed in very hush/hush tone. Not sure why that should still be the case in this day and age.

I mean, kids at 7 years ago have access to smart phones and what not.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Watch The expanse on Amazon Prime..  Absolutely brilliant show..  High quality sci fi plus unique dystopian future.  Loved the concept..  5 seasons so far. 

Quality show.

One of the very few times that a book has been interpreted into a movie/TV show with some level of skill. 

Have you read the books?  

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Quality show.

One of the very few times that a book has been interpreted into a movie/TV show with some level of skill. 

Have you read the books?  

I haven't actually.  But I've heard that books are lot similar to the actual plot of the series barring some changes..  Like Avasarala character.  Lots of robots in books as well. 

I must say show is amazingly written. 

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I haven't actually.  But I've heard that books are lot similar to the actual plot of the series barring some changes..  Like Avasarala character.  Lots of robots in books as well. 

I must say show is amazingly written. 

In the book Avasarala is a petite South Indian lady, always wearing traditional sarees, and dropping f-bombs.  She's awesome.  

I hate that they casted a Persian actress, and that foolish looking dude as her husband.  Even in Matt Damon's Martian - the source book had a 'Venkat" as the NASA guy running things in Houston, and Hollywood cast a black dude.  

But I digress.  The book is very well-written, the tv show plot lines are a distillation and simplification of it - obviously - but as far as simplifying and compressing the plot goes - this show's writers set a high watermark for staying true to the spirit of the book, and maintaining the characters' personalities and even most of the plot lines.  There are even times where the show moves away a bit from the source 'original' but its just executed so nicely that I don't mind - and I usually just hate tv/movie 'interpretations' of books that I like.  

The set art direction and writing deserves all the accolades it gets - they got most of it right.  Casting is a bit too "woke" driven for my taste, and Holden is too 'young' and 'pretty' for what he should be - but that's how it goes.  

Edited by sandeep

Watching a series after a relatively long time:

The Defeated. Watching it mainly for the post WW2 atmosphere in Berlin, cinematography, and a good cast. Takes a couple of episodes to build up. On Epi 4 now. It is an 8 episode series. 

Next may check out The Chestnut Man, which appears to be a Scandinavian murder mystery. 

Edited by zen

Started watching the Chestnut Man. I must say it does create a feeling of danger from something evil where horrible things could happen to certain ppl.  If the rest of the episodes hold up, this will be one of the  good crime series. 

The chestnut Man is pretty good. Usually, I am good at identifying the killer before the suspense is revealed. I don’t know if I am getting slow but in this one I was surprised when the killer’s identity is revealed! 

Haven’t watched many shows off late so may have to get into them again to reacquaint myself with the patterns :lol:  

13 hours ago, Clarke said:

Squid Game belongs here, no ?

Haven't seen such a huge set of emotions in a span of episodes as this one.

this is a gem of a series.. i loved all the episodes. esp Ep.6  Gganbu.. For me, this is on the level of Ozymandias for the all time best episode in TV..  amazing how human beings even the good ones behave when it comes to life or death....

On 3/31/2021 at 5:00 PM, sandeep said:

In the book Avasarala is a petite South Indian lady, always wearing traditional sarees, and dropping f-bombs.  She's awesome.  

I hate that they casted a Persian actress, and that foolish looking dude as her husband.  Even in Matt Damon's Martian - the source book had a 'Venkat" as the NASA guy running things in Houston, and Hollywood cast a black dude.  

But I digress.  The book is very well-written, the tv show plot lines are a distillation and simplification of it - obviously - but as far as simplifying and compressing the plot goes - this show's writers set a high watermark for staying true to the spirit of the book, and maintaining the characters' personalities and even most of the plot lines.  There are even times where the show moves away a bit from the source 'original' but its just executed so nicely that I don't mind - and I usually just hate tv/movie 'interpretations' of books that I like.  

The set art direction and writing deserves all the accolades it gets - they got most of it right.  Casting is a bit too "woke" driven for my taste, and Holden is too 'young' and 'pretty' for what he should be - but that's how it goes.  

hollywood took a while to incorporate african-american and hispanic actors, and then the likes of "crazy rich asians" finally brought east asia onto the scene; there was also a gradual increase in middle east representation. however, they consistently marginalize indian-americans and south asian-americans to this day. the casting choices you mentioned are clear examples of that.