India vs Bangladesh World T20 (23 March 2016) - Full Last Five Overs

Nova

If you watch Pandya's last over, both wickets he got were bad deliveries - he missed the yorker to mahmudullah and gave a fulltoss.  But crucially, they were both just quick enough for both batsmen that they were not able to hit it out of the ground, and stayed in bounds.  This extra half yard of pace is what makes Pandya a viable 5th bowler.   

Hopefully Pandya can improve as a bowler, he clearly has very limited options - like someone else pointed out, right now his only "good" option is the skiddy short of length stuff, which is not effective on all pitches.  He needs to add a good slower ball, some cutters etc.  Hopefully he stays fit and keeps working on his bowling.  Without that, I don't think he's good enough a batsman to stay in the team just on that - he's going to be a bit too inconsistent to hold a place with just the bat.  

I want to know which delivery of the pandya over bad apart from the full toss? Kindly do tell me folks.

The mushfiqur wkt was of a back of a length delivery which was no way a bad delivery ,the boundary that rahim hit of the second ball was outside off and he was asked to bowl their because of the strong off side field

I want to know which delivery of the pandya over bad apart from the full toss? Kindly do tell me folks.

The mushfiqur wkt was of a back of a length delivery which was no way a bad delivery ,the boundary that rahim hit of the second ball was outside off and he was asked to bowl their because of the strong off side field

If the 1st boundary ball to mushfiq was because of the strong off side field, why did he bowl the short ball on legstump to mushfiq which got him out?  Was he asked to bowl there as well?  Field certainly wasn't changed then.  Let's be objective about it.  Its not like he bowled horrible, but it was not that great either.  His skiddy pace created the miscue because it was mushfiq - a David Warner or a Eoin Morgan or even a Darren Sammy would have sent both those wicket balls into the stands easy.   At the end of the day, he did OK in a pressure situation for a rookie 2nd string bowler, and we are lucky to get the win.  He won't have to carry the scar of a bad loss on his psyche.

And more importantly our newfound 1st string bowler won't have to either.  Its very useful that we won this game in spite of Bumrah's poor fielding day and that 16 run over to Tamim.  Would have been a challenge for Bumrah to get past it mentally.  Happily, he can just take the lessons and grow as a player, without the cost of a bad loss.  

Dhoni plays the game like blackjack i.e. knows exactly what to do with a changing hand to maximise the probability of winning, which sometimes runs counter to instinct. It's just possible that was the perfectly executed over - how to win when the opponent needs 11 from 6 :

11 from 6 - bowl wide outside off-stump and pack the off-side field, your best fielder (Jadeja) on the off-side boundary, singles are fine.

10 from 5 - bowl wide outside off-stump and pack the off-side field, your best fielder (Jadeja) on the off-side boundary, singles are fine.

6 from 4 - indifferent to singles/fours i.e. neither good, aim to deliver a yorker on off-stump.

2 from 3 - can no longer restrict even with close in-field, send down surprise half-tracker on middle and hope for a catch on the leg boundary.

2 from 2 - still cannot restrict with close in-field, switch best fielder (Jadeja) to leg side, send down full toss on middle and hope for a catch.

2 from 1 - but only 1 for super over. need to mix up the line. discuss the Mankad within earshot of non-striker. bowl very wide, then run him out.

Dhoni plays the game like blackjack i.e. knows exactly what to do with a changing hand to maximise the probability of winning, which sometimes runs counter to instinct. It's just possible that was the perfectly executed over - how to win when the opponent needs 11 from 6 :

11 from 6 - bowl wide outside off-stump and pack the off-side field, your best fielder (Jadeja) on the off-side boundary, singles are fine.

10 from 5 - bowl wide outside off-stump and pack the off-side field, your best fielder (Jadeja) on the off-side boundary, singles are fine.

6 from 4 - indifferent to singles/fours i.e. neither good, aim to deliver a yorker on off-stump.

2 from 3 - can no longer restrict even with close in-field, send down surprise half-tracker on middle and hope for a catch on the leg boundary.

2 from 2 - still cannot restrict with close in-field, switch best fielder (Jadeja) to leg side, send down full toss on middle and hope for a catch.

2 from 1 - but only 1 for super over. need to mix up the line. discuss the Mankad within earshot of non-striker. bowl very wide, then run him out.

Dont think conceding 2 boundaries was part of the perfect execution.  But agree that he is really good at judging these scenarios...

By execution i mean the decision to bowl a particular line and length (which btw Dhoni said Pandya executed well). Perfect execution is perfect execution no matter the response. The bowler is not holding the bat in hand the batsman is, just like you don't deal from the deck of cards, the dealer does. Once the fours were struck the hand changed and you recalculate.

Edited by goose

By execution i mean the decision to bowl a particular line and length. Perfect execution is perfect execution no matter the response. The bowler is not holding the bat in hand the batsman is, just like you don't deal from the deck of cards, the dealer does. Once the fours were struck the hand changed. 

Ah, I see what you mean now.   Wasn't clear earlier.  

But this means you are a blind Dhoni worshipper:winky:  Don't you know how Dhoni is ruining the team with his poor captaincy:argh:

You will have noticed i'm not a flip-flopper. I believe in giving players enough rope to hang themselves, permanently.  Dhoni is the sole reason we won yesterday and would never have happened under Ganguly or those before him.  We'll need him in 2019.

Edited by goose

You will have noticed i'm not a flip-flopper. I believe in giving players enough rope to hang themselves, permanently.  Dhoni is the sole reason we won yesterday and would never have happened under Ganguly or those before him.  We'll need him in 2019.

I know goosy.  Just a potshot at the emotional noobs who get their panties all twisted up over Dhoni's captaincy because he doesn't do what *they* think should be done, how dare he?  The best thinking captain India has ever had in limited overs cricket.  Only one who comes remotely close is Gavaskar.  Ganguly as an on-field tactician was shockingly poor.  He was a good team manager off the field, and should get credit for institutionalizing the minimum 5-7 game audition that new players get.  Before him, the BCCI was very PCB-like in churning through prospects with a game here and there, and never again.  

I still can't believe that we won. I think even Oman or UAE or heck even Hong Kong would have won from that situation. 

Most club sides would have won or at least tied it. Heck 3 balls 2 to win. And the  guy bowling is not exactly  stellar. Trying to win it in style, BD.