Should Allow All Women In Sabarimala Temple, Kerala Tells Supreme Court

Malcolm Merlyn

The opinions of the bench are quite interesting. All the male justices (Nariman, Chandrachud, Khanwilkar, Misra) called it discriminatory and said it violated rights of hindu women, the lone female justice Malhotra also brought in some sense:

It is not for courts to determine which religious practices are to be struck down except in issues of social evil like 'Sati'

Right to equality conflicts with right to worship of devotees of Lord Ayyappa

Notions of rationality cannot be brought into matters of religion

Religious practices can't solely be tested on the basis of the right to equality. It's up to the worshippers, not the court to decide what's religion's essential practice

Issue in this case not limited to Sabarimala only. It'll have far reaching implications for other places of worships

The last statement is the most worrying part, not all sections of society are ready for the up to date views of the courts and it could have some heavier reactions which need to be absorbed. 

The opinions of the bench are quite interesting. All the male justices (Nariman, Chandrachud, Khanwilkar, Misra) called it discriminatory and said it violated rights of hindu women, the lone female justice Malhotra also brought in some sense:

It is not for courts to determine which religious practices are to be struck down except in issues of social evil like 'Sati'
Right to equality conflicts with right to worship of devotees of Lord Ayyappa
Notions of rationality cannot be brought into matters of religion
Religious practices can't solely be tested on the basis of the right to equality. It's up to the worshippers, not the court to decide what's religion's essential practice
Issue in this case not limited to Sabarimala only. It'll have far reaching implications for other places of worships

The last statement is the most worrying part, not all sections of society are ready for the up to date views of the courts and it could have some heavier reactions which need to be absorbed. 
The woman justice actually makes sense
Lol
Chandrachud is a egoistic nutcase though.
Know him personally

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

SC verdict tomorrow!  Have a sinking feeling since today's verdict on Adultery law is seen as a loss for Feminists, tomorrow will be in their favor. :fear: 

Why do you feel  the ' adultery' verdict is a loss for feminists?

You really do not understand the issue at all.

Infact it is a victory for feminists because women now get treated as equal and not as the property of husband.

Seriously man....how difficult is is to understand.:facepalm:

31 minutes ago, beetle said:

Infact it is a victory for feminists because women now get treated as equal and not as the property of husband.

A very intelligent friend I once met at a conference stated: I'm a feminist because I stand for gender equality, not any other meaning or interpretation out there. CR probably refers to the latter when he refers to feminists while you hopefully subscribe to the former. 

Equality though has its interpretations as well across spheres in society (e.g. religion) as is clear from the verdicts I mentioned above. 

Edited by Clarke

2 hours ago, beetle said:

Tell this to your DCW chairperson who is tweeting that it is against women, people will have a free will to commit adultery and sanctity of marriage will be lost.

Edited by coffee_rules

9 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Should allow shorts in Temple premises.

I dont mind that personally bcos of mostly hot and humid climate of India. I say anything should go, shorts or bikinis or whatever that makes it comfortable and easier.

But then, when I actually think over it a bit and introspect, it all comes down to the same point - the whole idea of temples and traditions becomes useless. Why are we in need to convert these places in tourist spots. Might as well just go to beach and other places for fun. My personal opinion is I enjoy/participate in these traditions, rituals and festivals etc is actually because it is done/followed in certain way. If it was about my freedom, convenience n stuff than I would rather do something else. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Tell this to your DCW chairperson who is tweeting that it is against women, people will have a free will to commit adultery and sanctity of marriage will be lost.

Wtf do you mean by your dcw chairperson!!!

I don't even know who it is ....

Whoever it is doesn't understand either sexism or equality/ feminism.

This Trupti Desai is no bhakt, going there just to prove a f'in point.

After a similar thing in Shani Shingnapur temple in Maharastra,after a few feminist activities created bawaal and entered the temple,  nobody locally  is defying the traditon and entering the temple. So, it is only for a show, nothing religious. 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/shani-shingnapur-temple-a-year-after-breakthrough-moment-local-women-stick-to-entry-ban/story-klA7Cu1ry70yz1VFXVqSRP.html