CPEC has ZERO economic viability, its a massive cost. Is the purpose something else?

narenpande1

2 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

The whole purpose of CPEC is for China to gain direct access to the Arabian sea. Trade with Africa, Europe and rest of Asia can happen without having to cross Indian waters. 

I personally think it will be a big bust. 

Still doesn't answer my question which countries are reaching through this port ? It seems Africa and Middle East. Don't know about Pakistan and their exports I would assume mostly agriculture and textiles. Which might not gain much from this. But I would assume China will be the sole beneficiary. Pakistan on other hand gets infra and power plants but a high interest rate. 

Edited by gattaca

China is a criminal thug nation that also happens to be the worlds 2nd largest economy. 

They have been arming our entire Neighbourhood. They are the sole reason North Korea is still surviving and threatening South Korea. They have armed Bangladesh with submarines. Why on earth would Bangladesh need submarines against whom ???

Being a thug cheat nation, China  has robbed American IPR of trillions, I seriously hope and pray that America under Trump does whatever it can to weaken and bring this rogue nation on it's knees

9 hours ago, gattaca said:

Still doesn't answer my question which countries are reaching through this port ? It seems Africa and Middle East. Don't know about Pakistan and their exports I would assume mostly agriculture and textiles. Which might not gain much from this. But I would assume China will be the sole beneficiary. Pakistan on other hand gets infra and power plants but a high interest rate. 

To add to your analysis, CPEC will also give China undisputed access to a market of nearly 200 mil. Like in Africa, they will dump their cheap products into Pakistani markets, hurting local industries.

Gwadar will also ensure that the Chinese are involved if the IN decides to do a naval blockade. Pakistan are banking on this to serve both as a deterrent as well as an insurance policy. 

Edited by jalebi_bhai

22 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

To add to your analysis, CPEC will also give China undisputed access to a market of nearly 200 mil. Like in Africa, they will dump their cheap products into Pakistani markets, hurting local industries.

Gwadar will also ensure that the Chinese are involved if the IN decides to do a naval blockade. Pakistan are banking on this to serve both as a deterrent as well as an insurance policy. 

China has brought 40% stake in karachi stock exchange cpec looks a boon for pak. But likely that pak will become protectorate of china. 

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

China has brought 40% stake in karachi stock exchange cpec looks a boon for pak. But likely that pak will become protectorate of china. 

Only the elites will benefit from it really. It is a boon for them. Common man will continue to suffer and local non-army run industries will get stunted.

Chinese are being foolhardy if they think using Pak as a tool for low-cost containment of India is a bright idea. USA has learnt this the hard way. 

Edited by jalebi_bhai

^ For my Pakistani frnds, What above meant was current debt on which interest is being levied is on about $180 billion against a Pakistani economy of size $260 billion.

If CPEC fails then there is a huge chance that Pakistan will have no place but to default on its loan.

Remember , Hindi Chini bhai bhai while garnering Indian support for UNSC or just before Chinese kicked India bottom with barrel of a gun. Point is Chinese have no brothers. They will eat you. hook or crook. Never trust China.

But now new slogan is Pakistani Chini bhai bhai, while debt binge is such that a minimum 14% per annum export growth is needed for Pakistan to pay the bills. So its just a matter of time. I have a feeling that by 2020 capital would have lost its sovereignty, Chinese administrators will be arm twisting almost at local governance level of Pakistan

2 hours ago, mishra said:

Remember , Hindi Chini bhai bhai while garnering Indian support for UNSC or just before Chinese kicked India bottom with barrel of a gun. Point is Chinese have no brothers. They will eat you. hook or crook. Never trust China.

But now new slogan is Pakistani Chini bhai bhai, while debt binge is such that a minimum 14% per annum export growth is needed for Pakistan to pay the bills. So its just a matter of time. I have a feeling that by 2020 capital would have lost its sovereignty, Chinese administrators will be arm twisting almost at local governance level of Pakistan

Dude, greenbros would happily take it up from Iron-brother as long as their delusional fantasy of "balance of power" with India is maintained.  Let them.  

And what difference will chinese arm twisting make anyway?  They are used to feudal zamindari leaders exploiting them anyway.  No difference if Chinese are pulling strings that make the local puppet "leaders" dance. 

India has officially taken a position calling CPEC another East India Company. The complete master plan shared for CPEC.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1333101

• Plan eyes agriculture. The plan shows great interest in the textiles industry in particular, but the interest is focused largely on yarn and coarse cloth.
  • Large surveillance system for cities. A full system of monitoring and surveillance will be built in cities from Peshawar to Karachi, with 24 hour video recordings on roads and busy marketplaces for law and order.
  • Visa-free entry for Chinese nationals. One of the most intriguing chapters in the plan speaks of a long belt of coastal enjoyment industry that includes yacht wharfs, cruise homeports, nightlife, city parks, public squares, theaters, golf courses and spas, hot spring hotels and water sports.
  • “There is a plan to build a pilot safe city in Peshawar, which faces a fairly severe security situation in northwestern Pakistan”.

5919736f888d5.jpg

It is not clear how much of the plan will be earnestly followed up and how much is there simply to evince interest from the Pakistani side. In the areas of interest contained in the plan, it appears access to the full supply chain of the agrarian economy is a top priority for the Chinese. After that the capacity of the textile spinning sector to serve the raw material needs of Xinjiang, and the garment and value added sector to absorb Chinese technology is another priority.

Next is the growing domestic market, particularly in cement and household appliances, which receive detailed treatment in the plan. And lastly, through greater financial integration, the plan seeks to advance the internationalization of the RMB, as well as diversify the risks faced by Chinese enterprises entering Pakistan.

There is no mention of China’s external trade being routed through Gwadar. Judging from their conversations with the government, it appears that the Pakistanis are pushing the Chinese to begin work on the Gwadar International Airport, whereas the Chinese are pushing for early completion of the Eastbay Expressway.

But the entry of Chinese firms will not be limited to the CPEC framework alone, as the recent acquisition of the Pakistan Stock Exchange, and the impending acquisition of K Electric demonstrate. In fact, CPEC is only the opening of the door. What comes through once that door has been opened is difficult to forecast.

@Asim @panther @KeyboardWarrior  Above is not what India is saying. It is what China and Pakistan intend to do.

1. Your foreign reserve will be RMB. I wont be surprised if RMB is planned to be used locally in Pakistan. i.e. You not just pay interest on loan, Pakistan/Pakistanis also starts earning RMB printed on a paper in China.

2. Your coastal towns become secure, funzones for Chinese, equivalent to Bangko(c)k

Edited by mishra

3 hours ago, mishra said:

@Asim @panther @KeyboardWarrior  Above is not what India is saying. It is what China and Pakistan intend to do.

1. Your foreign reserve will be RMB. I wont be surprised if RMB is planned to be used locally in Pakistan. i.e. You not just pay interest on loan, Pakistan/Pakistanis also starts earning RMB printed on a paper in China.

2. Your coastal towns become secure, funzones for Chinese, equivalent to Bangko(c)k

I don't give a flying *, what happens outside my village I could care less. 

Damn Chinese... buying anything and everything that they can. how can you allow OPPO as an executive sponsor for Team India. .

Another culture clash waiting to happen in neighboring country..

16 hours ago, panther said:

I don't give a flying *, what happens outside my village I could care less. 

Is your village  on a plateau? Why you think your village wont be affected?

Edited by mishra

12 minutes ago, Asim said:

Thanks indian people, media, govt and everyone for 24*7 showing such deep care and concern for Pakistan...

I thought it was other way round. India is opposing OBOR on ground of new form of colonialism, finance and technicality while CPEC on grounds of Bounndries. But for first time in History, I see Pakistani dailies giving reasons why Indians and Indian Government should accept Chinese hand become "prosperous".

Now, Dont you think China Daily is publishing editorials on Pakistani media.