Areas where Kohli is better than Tendulkar as a player.

narenpande1

Delhi boy  vs Mumbai boy debate.    Delhi has produced Viru, Mohinder, Gambhir, Kohli  Mumbai has produced  Manjrekar, Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Vengsarkar. In my opinion over the years i have found Mumbaikars pay little more attention to personal milestones. 

How can u forget Delhi produced Manoj Prabhakar.There is no worse selfish knock than his "infamous" hundred

Kohli's quest for win surpasses anyone i have seen from India.  You have to look no further than this innings where India had to reach the target within certain number of overs.  

I remember India needing to chase in a similar scenario against Zimbabwe in a tri series in SA and Sachin responded with an awesome hundred .

Even the desert storm knock had similar target actually for us to qualify .

20 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I remember India needing to chase in a similar scenario against Zimbabwe in a tri series in SA and Sachin responded with an awesome hundred .

Gavaskar did in 1987 world cup .. But Kohli does it in almost every innings which is why his chasing record is unreal. While setting the target bowlers feel the pressure of defending the total. While chasing, batsmen feel the pressure. He shows up like a champion more often than not.

Gavaskar did in 1987 world cup .. But Kohli does it in almost every innings which is why his chasing record is unreal. While setting the target bowlers feel the pressure of defending the total. While chasing, batsmen feel the pressure. He shows up like a champion more often than not.

I thought you were referring to a special scenario like that .Yeah no one will argue Kohli is superior to Sachin when it comes to chasing to Odis

But ultimately the real pressure in Odis is performing in world cups .He is yet to crack that though unlike Sachin .He has just one good knock that 100 against Pakistan.So he has a long way to go even in Odis to compare with Sachin .

Btw what did Gavaskar do in 87 ?

35 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I remember that tri series and we had a tie game against Zimbabwe when Eddo Brandes ran Robin Singh out on non strikers end on a wide ball. 

Here is the game you were talking about from that series. Tendulkar hit 104 of 97.

Tendulkar set the platform and got out. Jadeja and Robin Singh had a crucial p'ship after Tendulkar's brilliant knock, to win it for India in the end.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66076.html

8 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I thought you were referring to a special scenario like that .Yeah no one will argue Kohli is superior to Sachin when it comes to chasing to Odis

But ultimately the real pressure in Odis is performing in world cups .He is yet to crack that though unlike Sachin .He has just one good knock that 100 against Pakistan.So he has a long way to go even in Odis to compare with Sachin .

Btw what did Gavaskar do in 87 ?

He was running a fever of 103 degree. India had to score runs in certain number of overs to top the table in their group so that they would meet supposedly easier side England in the other group in the semis.  Srikkanth and Sunny scored 132 runs in 16 overs. Gavaskar with fever scored 21 runs in a single over of chatfield making his first and only 100 in quick time and ensured won the match in 32 overs.

He was running a fever of 103 degree. India had to score runs in certain number of overs to top the table in their group so that they would meet supposedly easier side England in the other group in the semis.  Srikkanth and Sunny scored 132 runs in 16 overs. Gavaskar with fever scored 21 runs in a single over of chatfield making his first and only 100 in quick time and ensured won the match in 32 overs.

Interesting.I always thought that Gavaskar hundred was scored in a meaningless dead rubber .Never knew the context .

22 hours ago, Gambit said:

You are willing to overlook holes in Sangakkara however glaring but want to selectively cherry pick stats for Tendulkar by not including 2 GOATs and Steyn. Furthermore, you included Waqar but not Walsh (who has similar numbers). That is a bit disingenuous. Despite all this, apparently Tendulkar is #1 for you. Doesn't quite add up.

BTW welcome back patriot. You have mellowed quite a bit.

Arre mind-blowing. Old villain re-entry! Looking forward to hearing gems like "Tendulkar's pwnage of Warne doesn't count as even Mongia smacked him in a JAMODi etc etc"

Wish Dhondy was back too. Miss his "I know you don't want to hear this but Tendulkar couldn't play fast bowlers you know" comments. :giggle:

23 hours ago, putrevus said:

What was Sachin's average after 52 tests,  it was 49.77 with  11 hundreds , Kohli has better stats than Sachin after 52 tests.Except England where Sachin scored 100s Kohli has done very well everywhere in comparison to Sachin.That being said Sachin had better technique than Kohli.Let us give Kohli a chance to build something who says he cannot reach 59 average, he has average in odis which Sachin never reached in his career.

I said before the season started if Kohli does not reach above 50 average during this home stretch  he will never reach that average and Kohli increased his average from 43 to 50 in last ten matches that is awesome for any player.

SRT made his test debut at 16. Kohli at 22 after already playing 3 years of international cricket and still his first test tour was a disaster and he had to be dropped.

22 hours ago, Vijy said:

Chepu was averaging in low 60s at his peak. It is almost impossible to average 70 over 200 matches. Merchant also played for a time prior to partition when genuine quicks like Nissar and Amar Singh were around.

You really believe in mythical genuine quicks of Nissar and Amar Singh? anyway that era cannot be compared to today's era.

PS: Pujara was averaging around 67-70 at one point of time in first class cricket.

21 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

SRT made his test debut at 16. Kohli at 22 after already playing 3 years of international cricket and still his first test tour was a disaster and he had to be dropped.

Why does it matter what age Sachin made his debut, he was thought to be worthy to be part of Indian team at 16, why does Sachin get concession just because he was 16. His hundred next year counted so is it Virat fault Sachin debuted at 16 .Virat has better stats in every aspect than Sachin after 52 tests and 160 odd ODIs.

I still think Sachin made his debut too soon he never learnt the art of scoring huge hundreds, it took him a decade to score his first double hundred and that is just direct result of him not playing first class cricket long enough.

Virat had to be dropped yes and he became a better player due to that good for him, he used that as motivation to make himself better batsman and has not looked back.

I am not saying it is your point but general thinking from Sachin's fans is his stats after 170 odd tests and stats in odis before he became an odi opener should not be counted.

18 hours ago, mishra said:

If Ajmal was allowed to way he bowled, He would have become a legend. At the end, we have to assume that all those uncaught ones are honest bowlers. So, they were better because they could get wickets in all conditions.

And pace wise they were better too. Cranking at 100 mph. As i said, we will not see 3 players together at 100mph. So despite all the murky things, at the end the bowlers are as good as deliveries they bowled.

I am just supporting to Muloghonto point i.e. in general, Tendulkar faced better attack. In all certainty, the bottlecaps would have been saved in pocket to be used as soon as Tendulkar started walking towards the crease. And bottlecap phenomenon only arrived when we won first  world Cup.

Saeed Ajmal has an average of 28 with an SR of 65 despite bowling the way he did and was already 37 years old when he was banned.

12 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

This comparison is hilarious tbh

Kohli is already 28 and before this England series he wasn't even our best batsmen in our present test team .

At this age Sachin was being named in Wisden greatest cricketers and Bradman's greatest XI .

The whole thing is absurd .

I won't call it "absurd" but it surely is one of those moments where people get too excited by what is going on currently start under appreciating the past.

The current cricket generation is capable of pulling of scenarios like seeing Martin Guptill take a great catch and calling him the best fielder in the world ever to play the game. Forgetting someone like Jonty who started it all.

Guptil is the best fielder currently for me, but I saw Jonty live in his prime and saw Ponting and all but Jonty was special the way he started to dive around. He set a different standard of fielding which players from other countries started adopting. There is no harm though in drawing a compariosn to Jonty, but Jonty will remain the greatest or trend setter.

Similarly, it is not "absurd" to compare Kohli to Tendulkar as Kohli has been scoring runs consistently in all the formats for a long time now and at a very fast rate. He is clearly special. But just like the above example, let Kohli play another 30-40 test matches and then we can draw a better comparison.

I see Kohli breaking all the records. He will go on to win it all. But I won't compare him to Tendulkar yet as he is far from that. Let him play enough, at least another 100 ODI's and another 50 test matches. 

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I won't call it "absurd" but it surely is one of those moments where people get too excited by what is going on currently start under appreciating the past.

The current cricket generation is capable of pulling of scenarios like seeing Martin Guptill take a great catch and calling him the best fielder in the world ever to play the game. Forgetting someone like Jonty who started it all.

Guptil is the best fielder currently for me, but I saw Jonty live in his prime and saw Ponting and all but Jonty was special the way he started to dive around. He set a different standard of fielding which players from other countries started adopting. There is no harm though in drawing a compariosn to Jonty, but Jonty will remain the greatest or trend setter.

Similarly, it is not "absurd" to compare Kohli to Tendulkar as Kohli has been scoring runs consistently in all the formats for a long time now and at a very fast rate. He is clearly special. But just like the above example, let Kohli play another 30-40 test matches and then we can draw a better comparison.

I see Kohli breaking all the records. He will go on to win it all. But I won't compare him to Tendulkar yet as he is far from that. Let him play enough, at least another 100 ODI's and another 50 test matches. 

52 tests and 160 odd ODIs is good enough sample. Virat does not need to reach or break any of Sachin's records to become a better match winner than him.

If Kohli does not play even one more ODI, he still will be part of all time best playing eleven just on basis of his chasing records.All he will be doing is padding his stats in to confirm his greatness.People tend to forget his important contributions both in world cup finals when both Sachin and Sehwag got out and in Champions trophy finals.

He is too a player not to add more 100s in tests he will and I sincerely hope he goes on top rather than people asking him to be kicked out.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

52 tests and 160 odd ODIs is good enough sample. Virat does not need to reach or break any of Sachin's records to become a better match winner than him.

If Kohli does not play even one more ODI, he still will be part of all time best playing eleven just on basis of his chasing records.All he will be doing is padding his stats in to confirm his greatness.People tend to forget his important contributions both in world cup finals when both Sachin and Sehwag got out and in Champions trophy finals.

He is too a player not to add more 100s in tests he will and I sincerely hope he goes on top rather than people asking him to be kicked out.

Sample as you said, sample. Still too early it suggests. I am with you but can not put the stamp so it will be to early to call it for ODI's.

And for test matches, he is no where close. Way to early because Tendulkar has too many runs, just too many so he has to get to half of those first. 

Ofcourse it is absurd .

Kohli averages 13 in England .Even in New Zealand his average was padded up by scoring a meaningless hundred after the test was virtually over.Even in Australia he failed in the only test which was helpful for bowlers .He still has huge questions over his ability to score when there seam and swing .

Even against spin ,before the England series he had huge questions marks .Even now we don't how he will fare on proper turners as he struggled in them against SA and all through this Eng series we have produced good cricket pitches .

And we are comparing him with top 3 greatest batsman ever .

As I said The whole thing is absurd.

It's one thing comparing Kohl's odi record with Sachin ,but comparing their test records is hilarious.They aren't even in the same stratosphere for a comparison.

18 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Ofcourse it is absurd .

Kohli averages 13 in England .Even in New Zealand his average was padded up by scoring a meaningless hundred after the test was virtually over.Even in Australia he failed in the only test which was helpful for bowlers .He still has huge questions over his ability to score when there seam and swing .

Even against spin ,before the England series he had huge questions marks playing .Even now we don't how he will fare on proper turners as he struggled in them against SA as all through this series we have produced good cricket pitches .

And we are comparing him with top 3 greatest batsman ever .

As I said The whole thing is absurd.

It's one thing comparing Kohl's odi record with Sachin ,but comparing their test records is hilarious.They aren't even in the same stratosphere for a comparison.

This is absurd when you call few centuries meaningless. I am sorry but no century is meanigless. If some of kohli's centuries are meaningless than Tendulkar might have had many such in his 200 game career.

I do not like the comparison to the Great Tendulkar but to call Kohli's century meaningless shows that OP's post has clearly caused the harm to fanatics which he wanted to do by having this thread. 

I dont like to compare both of them (even though i know who is better in the respective formats) ,both are extraordinary batsmen and we are lucky to have them.

You wont get to see another monster like Kohli,he will always remain one step ahead of his peers (stats might not say that currently but he'll eclipse most of them even in tests in coming years).he'll turn it around in tests ,we all know that