India's squad for Test against Bangladesh announced. Mukund returns

Mosher

51 minutes ago, maniac said:

India's bench strength looks very impressive......Shami,Dhawan,Rohit-3 players who were in the starting line up a few months back are missing but still looks like a full strength squad and apart from those 3 we still have fringe  players like Pandey,Thakur,Patel who were in the squad recently. Then add potential players under consideration like Pant,Iyer,Kuldeep etc our test squad looks real good

Bench strength is good for test matches  --

Openers --

Main -- Vijay, Rahul

Backup --  Mukund, Parthiv, Dhawan

Middle-order  --

Main -- Kohli, Pujara, Rahane

Backup -- Nair, Rohit

Pacers --

Main -- Shami,  Umesh

Backup --  Ishant, Bhuvneshwar, Shardul, Aaron

Spinners --

Main -- Ashwin, Jadeja,  Jayant

Backup -- Mishra, Kuldeep, Nadeem

Spinner-all-rounder--

Main -- Ashwin, Jadeja, Jayant

Backup -- Nobody....but even 2 can work

Wicket-keeper--

Main -- Saha

Backup -- Parthiv, Pant

Pacer-allrounder --

Main -- Pandya

Backup -- Nobody

Only....nobackup pacer-all-rounder

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, sarchasm said:

What do you make of Mohammad Siraj's selection while ignoring Warrier and Rajpoot? The last two have played 4-5 seasons and thrice as many FC matches. Both of them average in 20s with a SR of mid 50s. I, for one, am absolutely baffled at their repeated omission. As good as Siraj's numbers are, he simply cannot be ahead of these two in pecking order.

I look for pacers who have the ability to trouble international batsmen with pace, bounce, skills and  wicket-taking  ability.

Both Warrier and Rajpoot come across as better pacers for test matches than Siraj at this point in time based on the above parameters.

I also wanted Nathu Singh to be tried as I was highly impressed after seeing him bowl in a couple of Duleep Trophy matches, where he kept on bowling in the right areas with pace, bounce and movement. 

1 hour ago, fineleg said:

@vishalvirsingh pls watch T20, dont watch Tests

Watch great teams..

They score at 3.8 runs an over to win tests. Vijay scores at the rate of 2.5 runs an over in tests which is sometimes so dangerous...if vijay scores 150 runs ...the match cud turn into a draw.

He plans to leave too many balls which was a great strategy 10 yrs b4...when 4 fast bowlers from West indies bowled.

Or if it's a fast Perth wicket.

Today even a pujara is asked to score runs at 3.5 runs an over.

Why should vijay get the freedom to be a tortoise.

Even mukund is a tortoise.

If iyer shreyas plays for 50 balls he will score a 60...but mukund will score 5 runs of 50 balls like vijay.

Wrong selection of mukund.

37 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Exactly what I thought when I saw Rajpoot in IPL. He can be test class if groomed properly. I have not seen warrier that much but he has even better numbers. But Indian domestic squads are not the best places to groom them. Really disappointing that selectors seem to have no plan to groom them well.

I saw Warrier bowl today on a slow track, albeit in a T20 match,  and he looked really good. 

He is a tallish, hit the deck pacer who gets bounce off length at good speeds and was bowling with good accuracy too.

Very international-type pacer.

We need to create a pool of international-type pacers and groom them separately.  

Nathu, Thampi, Warrier, Rajpoot and  Aniket  would be front-runners.

Even Siraj has potential but needs a bit more time to reach there. At least one more season if not two.

This guy Navdeep Saini looked interesting a year back but don't know how he is bowling now. He  is also a tall, hit-the-deck seamer.

Edited by express bowling
3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Openers --

Main -- Vijay, Rahul

Middle-order  --

Backup -- Nair, Rohit

Pacers --

Main -- Shami,  Umesh

Spinners --

Spinner-all-rounder--

Wicket-keeper--

Main -- Saha

Backup -- Parthiv, Pant

Pacer-allrounder --

Main -- Pandya

Backup -- Nobody

How about Vijay Shankar? He's primarily a batsman that can bowl medium pace! Similar to Angelo Mathews 

Two things one I want to see a rookie fast bowler or Aaron in the squad, second I think Vijay Shankar can be a good batting allrounder, was impressed with his technique, stats, also his bowling is decent, I believe with his good action n runup, he can bowl 135 in test, also has skills to move the ball, is a very good batsmen.

Mukund has worked and improved his game a lot, very impressed with his approach, technique, strokes he plays are good for test format, driving off and straight, he to me s far better the Dhawan.

India's test side is daunting, ODI needs some tweaks and bold selections and T20 needs a revamp.

A Mishra's selection I am disappointed, hopefully this is his last test, and Kuldeep takes over

7 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

How about Vijay Shankar? He's primarily a batsman that can bowl medium pace! Similar to Angelo Mathews 

He can be.

I have listed only those players who have actually been selected for our test team  or the selectors have said are on the fringe of selection, like Pant, Kuldeep and Nadeem.

Basically, I have listed the actual back-ups and not the potential ones.

22 hours ago, kruiser said:

yes, I know that is how it has been in India and I dont like it. It used to be 14 people squad earlier, then the selectors started with 15 and now 16! why not give the entire 200 player pool and let the captain and coach choose who they want? 

I call this spineless selection - or in corporate terminology a pathetic CYA. 

Sorry if this is not the common opinion, but thats what I think. 

You are spot on no need for 16 just 14 would be enough.

Aaron can never be good test bowler, he simply does not have a stock delivery which he can get batsmen out consistently. As if it is not enough he bowls on both sides of the wicket with no control.I am happy that he is not in the test team, he still can be good in shorter formats but he needs to develop yorker and become more consistent.

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

Aaron can never be good test bowler, he simply does not have a stock delivery which he can get batsmen out consistently. As if it is not enough he bowls on both sides of the wicket with no control.I am happy that he is not in the test team, he still can be good in shorter formats but he needs to develop yorker and become more consistent.

Outswinger is his stock ball. More than stock ball, it's the inconsistency that is a problem.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Outswinger is his stock ball. More than stock ball, it's the inconsistency that is a problem.

I do not think he has good outswinger at all.It feels like he is bowling gun barrel straight and he is so inconsistent that Yadav looks more consistent than him.

Yadav on other hand has beautiful outswinger but he is also too inconsistent but off late he has become better.

On 31/01/2017 at 10:56 PM, express bowling said:

Openers --

Main -- Vijay, Rahul

Middle-order  --

Backup -- Nair, Rohit

Pacers --

Main -- Shami,  Umesh

Spinners --

Spinner-all-rounder--

Wicket-keeper--

Main -- Saha

Backup -- Parthiv, Pant

Pacer-allrounder --

Main -- Pandya

Backup -- Nobody

Aaron is nowhere in consideration for selection.Same with Shardul(more chance though) as of now.

41 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Aaron is nowhere in consideration for selection.Same with Shardul(more chance though) as of now.

Shardul was a part of the test squad in the WI series, NZ series and the beginning of the England series.

Aaron was a part of the A team playing 11 in the 2 " unofficial tests "  we played in Australia....and that acts as the first-choice pool for the test squad in case of injury, as we saw with Jayant, Shardul and Nair.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Shardul was a part of the test squad in the WI series, NZ series and the beginning of the England series.

Aaron was a part of the A team playing 11 in the 2 " unofficial tests "  we played in Australia....and that acts as the first-choice pool for the test squad in case of injury, as we saw with Jayant, Shardul and Nair.

I was aware of Shardul's inclusion in a few squads before.That's why I said more chances though.But I don't feel selectors are serious about him that much. I remember he being left out of a squad just recently(don't remember which)

7 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I was aware of Shardul's inclusion in a few squads before.That's why I said more chances though.But I don't feel selectors are serious about him that much. I remember he being left out of a squad just recently(don't remember which)

Left out as Ishant returned and 3 pacers are more than enough for test squads in India