Can this Indian test team surpass our 2007-10 team?

Yes it can 

everyone scared overseas . But people forget we were very good overseas since 2001 . Very competitive and successful . 

Only dhoni era wrecked that 

this team will go overseas and do very well . Not saying we will win every test and series . But be very very competitive and enjoy plenty of success . No humiliation . Team will give us pride 

I believe that the Kohli-Kumble-Rahane combo can deliver overseas. Every time this team has had a poor performance, they've responded brilliantly. A lot of these guys are entering their prime or are already there. Next two years of Test cricket will be fantastic to watch as an Indian fan. 

9 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

I believe that the Kohli-Kumble-Rahane combo can deliver overseas. Every time this team has had a poor performance, they've responded brilliantly. A lot of these guys are entering their prime or are already there. Next two years of Test cricket will be fantastic to watch as an Indian fan. 

Don't forget our bowlers. Probably the best bowling unit+bench strength we have ever had in our 84 year history.

34 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Don't forget our bowlers. Probably the best bowling unit+bench strength we have ever had in our 84 year history.

totally agree.....

BTW, bowlers win you a test match.....

batting may not be as strong as you would like it to be.....but bowling, as a unit, is all time high.......

So I have very high hopes of seeing some competitive cricket in RSA....

Moreover, RSA is not as good as it was earlier......crossing my fingers for a fruitful series for india

1 hour ago, ShebbySB said:

Team-A

Gambhir

Sehwag

Dravid

Sachin

Ganguly

VVS

MSD(c & Wk)

Kumble

Harbhajan

Zaheer

Ishant

VS

Team-B

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli(c)

Rahane

Nair

Saha(Wk)

Ashwin

Jadeja

Umesh

Shami

Which team will win a 5 match test series in India?

Ashwin and Jadeja will be toothless against that batting order if pitch isn't a dustbowl.

Btw Mishraji will be on the bench for both teams :phehe:

Edited by Sidhoni
4 hours ago, ShebbySB said:

Team-A

Gambhir

Sehwag

Dravid

Sachin

Ganguly

VVS

MSD(c & Wk)

Kumble

Harbhajan

Zaheer

Ishant

VS

Team-B

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli(c)

Rahane

Nair

Saha(Wk)

Ashwin

Jadeja

Umesh

Shami

Which team will win a 5 match test series in India?

It will be very close, probably team B will edge it 2-1. Team A bowling attack is mediocre, remember during 2007-10 Kumble was past his prime and Harbhajan too wasn't that good. Team A also lacks the ruthlessness to close out matches like B. 

On 29/03/2017 at 4:45 PM, Gollum said:

It will be very close, probably team B will edge it 2-1. Team A bowling attack is mediocre, remember during 2007-10 Kumble was past his prime and Harbhajan too wasn't that good. Team A also lacks the ruthlessness to close out matches like B. 

Bowling is weak, but can't see team A losing 2 matches to spinners in that kind of form. If matches are played on batting friendly pitches, Sehwag, SRT, Laxman will thrash spinners whole day even in India. Dismissing Gambhir and Dravid would also be difficult and Dravid wasn't in best form at that time. I can see Ashwin repeating 150-1, 160-1 on regular basis.

Team A wasn't ruthless, but it didn't surrender to overseas spinners twice in a match even on rank turners. I think that team lost only matches during that period and those losses came in pacer friendly conditions against an ATG bowlers Dale Steyn.

It could 1-0 in favor of team A, with team B struggling against out of form Kumble and Bhajji on a tuner.

Keeping the core same and with few changes:

Team A: 1-1 in SA, Team B: 0-1 in SA

Team A: 1-0 in NZ, Team B: 0-1 in NZ

Team A: 1-2 in Aus, Team B: 0-2 in Aus

Team A: 1-1 in SL, Team B: 2-1 in SL

Team A: 1-0 in WI, Team B: 2-0 in WI

Team A: 1-0 in Eng, Team B: 1-3 in Eng

On 29/03/2017 at 0:05 PM, G_B_ said:

It depends team A was mostly old. Team B I think officially Murli is oldest at 32

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

2007-10 was the time everyone was at peak. Sehwag had increased his avg to 55 from low 40s in 2010, Gambhir reached career avg of 57 in 2010, SRT increased to 56-57, Laxman had increased his avg from 43 to 47. Only Draviid was on decline a little bit.

Compare that to team 

Vijay: 39 v Sehwag 54

Rahul 44 v Gambhir 56

Pujara 52 v Dravid 53

Kohli 49 v SRT 56

Rahane 46 v Laxman 47 

Saha 30 v Dhoni 39

It's not even a contest between these teams on Indian pitches. Those batsman were much superior players of spin bowling. Even Rahane and Laxman may seem closest by numbers, but against spin there is huge gap between them. 

With team A, it would be like team B bowling to a line up full of Steve Smith from no 1 to no 5. Ruthlessness or attitude won't matter in front of skills of those guys.

10 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Bowling is weak, but can't see team A losing 2 matches to spinners in that kind of form. If matches are played on batting friendly pitches, Sehwag, SRT, Laxman will thrash spinners whole day even in India. Dismissing Gambhir and Dravid would also be difficult and Dravid wasn't in best form at that time. I can see Ashwin repeating 150-1, 160-1 on regular basis.

Ashwin is a class bowler, don't let his last few matches where he was carrying an injury misguide you. Even Jaddu is a class act on Indian pitches.

That fab4 team also collapsed against spinners like Udal, Mendis, Paul Harris, Panesar etc. They weren't infallible and would have struggled against the mystery spin of Ashwin.

Ashwin of 2015 Sri Lanka/2016 NZ would really challenge even Sehwag/SRT/Laxman. Jaddu is a massive upgrade over Harbhajan on Indian pitches. On the bowling front this team is miles ahead of that team. So the match will always rest in the hands of team B. The real question is how would team A pick up 20 wickets against this team whose bottom 5 alone can keep them in the field for a full day?

Edited by Gollum