Sanjay Manjrekar talking about aggresion

Sanjay Manjrekar on aggression-

His tweets- 
1.This is the better way. People focus stays on the performance not on the 'aggression'. & yes, players don't get banned. Like Ishant did.
2.Fire best fought with water. There is a diff between attack & aggression. Every aggressive definition has a negative connotation.
3.Aggression makes for good television but totally irrelevant to winning & losing & success & failure.
4. Aggression is a by product of high intensity performance. It should never be promoted or encouraged, only understood.
5. If your think aggression is necessary to compete against Australia. Look no further than Cheteshwar Pujara.

Manjrekar is true representation of everything what was wrong with Indian cricket in 90s. Someone who lacked self belief and cared about showing off him as good boy. Even if u hear his commentry he constantly use the word good boy.......moral science ka class hai kya

About his tweets- 
He shudnt be commenting on aggression when he was part of team that was destroyed by opp most of times by aggression only. If there is a diff btw India n Pakistan today apart from skill its aggression. About his tweet on pujara well didnt kohli score 4 100s in aus in their own den. 
I remeber in one interview Aakash chopra told that when dhoni came new people told him to get rid of his long hair ......but hey why isnt a players skill a focus . Virat kohli has said in many interviews that he was judged for his tattoos.

The reason cricketers like Manju or aakash couldnt become big was that their mind was more into portraying an image rather being better cricketers.

The aggression theory - well most ex- indian cricketers shud'nt even comment on that as they had no idea what it is and when it hit them they use to crumble under it.

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Not being expressive or abusive on the field doesn't make you meek.So how much such aggression did Sachin Vvs Dravid Viru and Kumble show through out their careers ? Weren't they successful .Didn't they have self belief ?

Being expressive and emotional on the field doesn't make u better or worse.Or it has anything to do with self belief.You dont even need to be expressive on the field to show aggression in your play.Viru and Ambrose case in point.

Why Manjeraker and Akash Chopra didn't make great players had zero relation to aggression on the field .If so Sreesanth and Andre Nel would have become greatest bowlers ever .

10 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Not being expressive or abusive on the field doesn't make you meek.So how much such aggression did Sachin Vvs Dravid Viru and Kumble show through out their careers ? Weren't they successful .Didn't they have self belief ?

Being expressive and emotional on the field doesn't make u better or worse.Or it has anything to do with self belief.You dont even need to be expressive on the field to show aggression in your play.Viru and Ambrose case in point.

Why Manjeraker and Akash Chopra didn't make great players had zero relation to aggression on the field .If so Sreesanth and Andre Nel would have become greatest bowlers ever .

M not talking about expression- its the attitude to tell someone how to express.

Telling someone like dravid or kohli to react in opp way is wrong on both ways. 

How come nel n sreesanth wud have been successful as they had same issue of aakash n manju.....even they suffered of portraying an image . In Nel n sreesanth cases they were a lot more implusive and manju n aakash lacked self belief .

International cricket is about mindset 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Hayden some years back .

How important is aggression to Australian success?

To me aggression is of two types. There is real aggression and then there is pretence. You have to look into someone's eyes to see if there is any real aggression. When I look into Rahul Dravid's eyes I know that though he might not be outwardly aggressive, he is inwardly aggressive: he wants to hit the ball, he wants to seek out opportunities. He has got fire in his belly. A lot of the aggression that you see now, like staring and chatting, is all guff. That is just a waste of time.

Aggression is how you actually play the game. It is about tenacity and helps in your longevity. Those things don't lie over a long period of time. Again, have a look at Dravid - over a long period of time he has been able to maintain an incredible record. I mean, you think he is gone and the next minute he is back making a hundred.

The only thing that can actually harm me is the cricket ball. That's where I want to be aggressive at.

What did he say wrong? Manjrekar is not wrong at all.

But I would like to add an important point:

Even real aggression is of 2 types:

One in your face aggression.

Other being internal steely aggression.

A lot of people may think that if you show aggression outwardly while not performing, it is not real aggression. While it may be true in majority of the cases, it ain't true in some cases.

Kohli is one of those exceptions. His desire and will to win is greater than ANY other Indian player ever. Sure, contrarians can argue otherwise and ask for proof. I can't prove it but if you observe, you can see it. Every fiber of his body wants it bad. The way he lead India on Day 2 of Bangalore is something I have never seen in an Indian side.

So I wouldn't mind Kohli's aggression.

But I would like him to control it better. Its a myth that riling Kohli up doesn't affect his performance. It does. Atleast makes him do stupid stuff here and there.

Edited by sensible-indian

Batting is different and pujara and dravid examples poor

its vital to have agreesive fielding unit with bowlers feeling back backed and the team backing him . Aggression can upset batsman and agreesive fielding can aid this . It can make a difference . Also when team is struggling in field aggression is way to get units energy levels back and get them focused on task ahead 

19 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

What did he say wrong? Manjrekar is not wrong at all.

But I would like to add an important point:

Even real aggression is of 2 types:

One in your face aggression.

Other being internal steely aggression.

A lot of people may think that if you show aggression outwardly while not performing, it is not real aggression. While it may be true in majority of the cases, it ain't true in some cases.

Kohli is one of those exceptions. His desire and will to win is greater than ANY other Indian player ever. Sure, contrarians can argue otherwise and ask for proof. I can't prove it but if you observe, you can see it. Every fiber of his body wants it bad. The way he lead India on Day 2 of Bangalore is something I have never seen in an Indian side.

So I wouldn't mind Kohli's aggression.

But I would like him to control it better. Its a myth that riling Kohli up doesn't affect his performance. It does. Atleast makes him do stupid stuff here and there.

Again i have written above nothing wrong in anyone approach

My problem is one telling someone how to behave. Its manju telling how it shud be done and even giving example of pujara that it worked. 

My point is ok it worked for pujara coz taht suits him doesnt make kohli's way wrong. Kohli also got runs down under in their back yard. 

About controlling n non controlling well i hold a diff view he shud express himself as wants my only concern is he shud know how to conserve his energy now . 

5 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Aggression is sports is very much required. But as with everything there is a line that should not be crossed. Aggression should be tuned towards the task at hand and not as a distraction to you or others.

Similar to Confidence, good to have it to a certain level but when it becomes over confidence your doom starts.

Totally on point

Greatest of teams like Aus n Wi biggest strength was aggresion even pakistan who seems to be like Pu**ies now 

12 minutes ago, kosingh said:

Does Manjrekar realize that even Pujara was sledging Australia, and was spoken to by the umpires for his comments to Warner in the second test? 

Kohli is awesome! :adore: 

Under him even dravid and Sachin would have tried sledging once in a while. :laugh1: Laxman is a dharmik person so not sure about him.

Edited by Pollack
5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Again i have written above nothing wrong in anyone approach

My problem is one telling someone how to behave. Its manju telling how it shud be done and even giving example of pujara that it worked. 

My point is ok it worked for pujara coz taht suits him doesnt make kohli's way wrong. Kohli also got runs down under in their back yard. 

About controlling n non controlling well i hold a diff view he shud express himself as wants my only concern is he shud know how to conserve his energy now . 

I wasn't against your point. Maybe I should have conveyed it better.

Manjrekar's statements except for point 2 were right. Aggression isn't necessary to compete with Aus but it works for Kohli. Manjrekar also said "Aggression is a by product of high intensity performance. It should never be promoted or encouraged, only understood."

All in all, I don't see much wrong with his tweets. Are we sure he is attacking Kohli here?