Alaistair Cook Watch - Has the End begun?

sandeep

4 hours ago, mishra said:

They dont show it on tele, But visit any game test match. Watch how ground staff is carefull it drieng outfield when English are bowling but never do the same when opposition are bowling. It just gives 45min-1 hrs of non swinging ball.

And that is root cause when visitors dont get the swing despite overcast condition while English bowlers get banana swings.

So next time, Dont blame Shamis and Bhuvis for ball is just a lil wet on a rainy day. You need to be a bowler to understand what is happening out there in middle and understand the dynamics of a moving ball

Hmmm.   Wonder why this hasn't been pointed out by any visiting team or their corresponding journos. 

4 hours ago, mishra said:

They dont show it on tele, But visit any game test match. Watch how ground staff is carefull it drieng outfield when English are bowling but never do the same when opposition are bowling. It just gives 45min-1 hrs of non swinging ball.

And that is root cause when visitors dont get the swing despite overcast condition while English bowlers get banana swings.

So next time, Dont blame Shamis and Bhuvis for ball is just a lil wet on a rainy day. You need to be a bowler to understand what is happening out there in middle and understand the dynamics of a moving ball

How can this issue be resolved when we tour  ?

You need to point this out to the BCCI.

7 hours ago, mishra said:

Interesting post. This is why non believers (those who don't "get" cricket) think we're mad. So many bizarre theories about the ball and how it behaves in certain conditions. I'm not a bowler but I agree there have been times in club cricket when we've won (or lost) the toss after a heavy downpour and expected massive swing, but nothing happened. I find the theory with the artificial light interesting as well; that the red ball swings more when they are switched on.

Edited by YCCC
8 minutes ago, YCCC said:

Interesting post. This is why non believers (those who don't "get" cricket) think we're mad. So many bizarre theories about the ball and how it behaves in certain conditions. I'm not a bowler but I agree there have been times in club cricket when we've won (or lost) the toss after a heavy downpour and expected massive swing, but nothing happened. I find the theory with the artificial light interesting as well; that the red ball swings more when they are switched on.

I know what you are trying to take, but not really. Dry ball is absolutely vital for swing. I even discourage team mates using spit off their toungue to shine the ball. My belief based on experience was further cemented when Imran spilled the bean on reverse swing in a interview a year back.

I have never seen ball swinging when there is a drizzle apart from brand new one, which takes few overs to get wet cos of shiny paint

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

How can this issue be resolved when we tour  ?

You need to point this out to the BCCI.

How do you propose a solution? First you hot to understand it.  To imitate the behaviour all you got to do is take a new ball during winters around 6-7 am when there is some dew on grass. And test the theory. 4-5 overs and few shots in outfield will make ball wet and swing is gone as long as outfield is wet.

Now a dew type wet outfield is not considered to be non playing condition. So not much that you can do as ground staff is within their rights to use the soakers in outfield. But while rollers are only allowed at inning break, soakers are i think at the will of ground staff each timr umpires ealk out due to say drizzle. They need to tell umpire, if ground is ready or not for inspection

Edited by mishra
On 10/09/2017 at 7:35 AM, gattaca said:

He had a bad ashes when Mitchell Johnson was bowling those fast deliveries. The other opener carberry(African descent) played better than cook but he was dropped after ashes. It was strange.

Top 2 engaknd run scorers in that ashes series was kp and carberry. Yet both never played for Engaknd again 

and you guys go on about our skipper picking who he likes !:giggle:

4 hours ago, CoverDrive said:

No he will just score 200 in series against us when we drop him 3-4 times in slip. Then he will get back to ok form and will keep on playing for another 3-4 years with 35-40 kind of average. Not like there are many others challenging him for his spot

Yes, given their pathetic batting line up, Cook will be given a longer rope. With the Ashes already lost and the pressure off, it is now a great chance for him to score some cheap runs and maybe even edge out the insipid Joe Root for the captaincy spot. 

On 11/09/2017 at 6:46 PM, mishra said:

How does outfield play a role in swinging the ball?

52 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

How does outfield play a role in swinging the ball?

29 minutes ago, New guy said:

Bowlers cannot hold a wet ball and bowl at the lengths they want

Agree to this but there is more.

It will become my word vs experience but lets just assume a fact what Imran Khan said. To get the reverse swing its absolutely vital that ball is crispy dry.

Now Imran may have said that based on his experience. But I will try to make some intelligent guess as to why ball has to be dry. Since most here are cricket enthusiast and play cricket so often I will try to put it in as simple terms as possible. They can start doing their own research in field or net. (Apologies for my comprehension as English is not my first language).

Lets go step by step.

1. Take a kids cricket size platic ball and bowl with it. You will find that ball moves in air. Why, Because ball is light and air is making it change direction.

2. Take a slightly harder plastic ball. Do the same. It will move in air, but what you will also observe that since its slightly heavier, effect of air is less and its more accurate. Now if you want to be a bit adventurous hold the ball in various grips. One being where you with your fingers not crossing the other half, As in consider if seam is running central to ball, you are holding less than that. Now ball, You will need to practice on it as you are not holding complete ball. so ball will start flying in direction and you wont have much control but what you will observe is, once you have mastered it, the ball most likely then not follows banana swing shape as long as there is just enough wind. Once you got that, immerse the ball in bucket of water and you will observe there is less swing. Think?

3. Go net step, Take a tennis ball and fiddle with your grip. I think once you have worked enough and there is some wind. You will start getting the banana swing shape. I remember during my uni days, There was one player whose every delivery off tennis ball used to take that calssic Waqar swing shape. He had a very specific grip. But idea is similar to mentioned in point 2. He used to grip the ball less than half. Once you got that, immer the ball bucket of water and see what happens.

4. Take the cricket ball in swinging condition, Immerse it in water and then bowl with it. See what happens. You want have any swing.

Now, I am making a guess here but what happened when you have soaked the ball

a. You havent got exact same grip.

b. Probably water layer has altered the shape of ball. (To understand what i am saying, refer to Jabulani ball controversy for being too round, 2010 football world cup)

c. Weight of the ball is altered too. Allmost negligible, but if its slightly older ball then that could be very significant. You may probably get same level of swing to a dry ball, but wind speed and delivery speed needs to be slightly more to achieve the result.

He will score 400+ runs in 5 tests next year against us with 1/2 100s, mark this post. You can't write off champions so easily and Cook is very gritty. He may look down and out but will battle it out next year, hope our bowlers don't underestimate the Cook threat.

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He will score 400+ runs in 5 tests next year against us with 1/2 100s, mark this post. You can't write off champions so easily and Cook is very gritty. He may look down and out but will battle it out next year, hope our bowlers don't underestimate the Cook threat.

cook isn't a champion. he scores well against spin and home, that's about it. if he does badly in all the tests leading up to our tour, he may have left by then.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

cook isn't a champion. he scores well against spin and home, that's about it. if he does badly in all the tests leading up to our tour, he may have left by then.

Dude anyone with over 10000 runs is a legit champion. Cook may not be black caviar (highest grade) like SRT, Lara, Viv etc but he is definitely red caviar like so many other greats.