Standard of IPL dropped?

gakgupta

Well...

IPL was never about standards. It was always about entertainment, betting, magnanimity and hangama. But did it touched new low or is it just my misconception?

Fact that fielding has been maintained club level consistently by all the teams. Lack of seriousness by most of the players except captains. Aged warehouses in all the teams. Above all, 3 Afghan players consistently playing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

If you expect standards, then wait for India vs England test series, T20 cricket in itself is substandard when you make flat pancakes and bring the boundary ropes in, its a pity that you are downplaying Afghan players here, all 3 have been excellent, and if you follow cricket even a small bit, you would know that Rashid Khan is a No 1 T20 bowler.  

Edited by Sean Bradley

Whats the complaint there?
Well...
3 players from associate team consistently playing in the eleven is not that great...
Either the Afghan standards have increased or IPL standards have decreased

Well...
3 players from associate team consistently playing in the eleven is not that great...

Is as ignorant as a comment as an 80 year old English OAP saying that Indians cannot win tests in England, have standards decreased?! lol

The fielding within some teams have been disappointing but the fact of the matter is unlike the earlier editions, we are no more in awe of impressive catches, diving stops, catch-release-catch boundary takes, direct hits etc. Remember IPL started with some big name old legs Laxman, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Dravid, Sehwag, McGrath etc.......those days we were impressed to see a half decent catch. Not anymore......nowadays it's expected and disappointing if a half-chance isn't converted to a wicket. Imagine these guys in today's IPL, will be fish out of water......the benchmarks have been raised.

The bowling standards have improved especially the younger Indian ones. New tricks of the trade like knuckle ball, slow bouncers etc.... big names like NoH!t, Gambhir, Yuvraj are struggling to put bat to ball. But at the same time batsmen still believe 16-20 run an over chases are possible.

The games have gone both ways, teams chasing down massive totals as well as teams defending 6 runs an over and snatch victories. BRILLIANT IPL so far.

But I can understand if all this is a lot to digest..........one can always watch youtube clips of India's odi games from the 90s and be impressed watching teams huff and puff while chasing 220!

Why? whats gonna happen there? Test cricket is absolute dogshit. Yeah, i love to watch Chintu pujara play 9284928492842 balls to score 40 runs. Wah, kya standard hai bhai. I'll really enjoy watching james vince score 45 off 94 balls against high class pace spearhead Ishant sharma.

Test cricket is a boring, shitty, outdated version of the game watched by retirees and buzurg betichods. The ratings support this.

Don't watch if you don't like it, it needs a man to watch it, not for sissy's.

I think that the quality of Ind players has on improved, while IPL needs to be more selective  international players. Also, some of the senior players are in their last phase of career

Edited by zen

Why? whats gonna happen there? Test cricket is absolute dogshit. Yeah, i love to watch Chintu pujara play 9284928492842 balls to score 40 runs. Wah, kya standard hai bhai. I'll really enjoy watching james vince score 45 off 94 balls against high class pace spearhead Ishant sharma.

Test cricket is a boring, shitty, outdated version of the game watched by retirees and buzurg betichods. The ratings support this.

test crciekt is overrated 

Well...

This comment shows how much you follow cricket recently. FYI, Afganistan is no more associate team. They have been given Test status and will play their first test against India.

This is the worst lot of Overseas plays we have had across 11 seasons. (I hardly ever had to pick more than 3 players in my fantasy sqaud)

Other than that the quality has been good. Good close games. Quality of selecting sqauds and P11 has increased vastly resulting in more eqaul sides. Hardly any one-sided games. Good batting and bowling performances.

Only problem would be the catching. Other than that don't think IpL has gone down any bit.

Well...

IPL was never about standards. It was always about entertainment, betting, magnanimity and hangama. But did it touched new low or is it just my misconception?

Fact that fielding has been maintained club level consistently by all the teams. Lack of seriousness by most of the players except captains. Aged warehouses in all the teams. Above all, 3 Afghan players consistently playing.

Standard of post n threads have dropped.

What beef you got with Afghanistan, man? 

A war torn country, where site bombing is more common than hartals. In such adversities, people found a succor in cricket and gingerly went about developing a cricketing culture in country where picking arms was more fashionable than cricket bat. Despite all odds against them, they started churning out players who would set the cricketing world to stand up and take notice. 

You should be ashamed for your condescending tone towards such brave players of a resilient country. 

Edited by Scar

Well...

Well, betting and matchfixing was aptly dealt with by Supreme court when they banned two franchisees. It is a shame that IPL got a bad name because of some corrupt cricketers and franchisees. In fact the matchfixing and betting scandal has turned around things at BCCI, so much that they hardly have any power. The court appointed administrators have withdrawn the power of ex BCCI officials and are taking decisions on their own. So that part is sorted.

Regarding fielding, it has been rubbish.  A lot of catches including simple ones are dropped. I hope it's not because of fixing. Hopefully the fielders are really crappy rather than they doing it for sale of money.

Afghan players have not outclassed. Mayank Markande is still top wicket taker. Rashid still is behind him in performance aspects this IPL. Neither has Mujeeb managed to do better than Markande. Nabi as an all-rounder has underperformed. Krunal Pandya the Indian spin like to like all-rounder has outperformed him.

Edited by Straight Drive