'Silly' to try and bowl like Nathan Lyon - R Ashwin

SK_IH

"It's going to be very hard to replicate one's action. We are talking about actions and biomechanics here, and it's quite silly when people say, oh, it's overspin and sidespin and stuff like that. You've got to still stick to your strengths. You're not going to ask Ishant Sharma to bowl like Philander, can you? It's not going to happen.

"You've got to believe in your strengths. Something's got me 350-odd wickets in my Test career, something's got him 300-odd wickets in his career. It's important to keep going the same way and learn a few things on the way.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25415061/silly-try-bowl-nathan-lyon-r-ashwin

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

The test in England was his biggest failure. A senior guy who couldn't land the ball in rough. Ashwin's biggest problem is getting to land the ball in rough areas consistently. He was out bowled by Moen Ali who is ok spinner. 

Moeen did very well in SL as well. He has some ingredients like accuracy, low trajectory.

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Moeen did very well in SL as well. He has some ingredients like accuracy, low trajectory.

Ashwin got out bowled by Lyon in Australia as well in the past and Swann in India as well. He is good but not great. But the main ingredient for any spinner is accuracy. Ashwin sometimes lacks it. Dont know if it is preparation or mental thing he just looses the plot. 

Edited by gattaca
21 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Ashwin got out bowled by Lyon in Australia as well in the past and Swann in India as well. He is good but not great. But the main ingredient for any spinner is accuracy. Ashwin sometimes lacks it. Dont know if it is preparation or mental thing he just looses the plot. 

But the point he says right. You cannot copy your way to success. You have to work within your strength. I remember Ishant telling something like "copying" Zaheer.  Yes accuracy is something he should work on. But  i think he is talking about people who ask him to "bowl like Lyon". 

Ashwin is not the same since his hernia injury in 2016 before fifth test against England. The drift and loop which was so evident then is missing.He is not same bowler even in Asia since that injury.Jadeja has been better than him overall too since that injury.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/26421.html?class=1;spanmin1=15+Dec+2016;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling;view=series