Starc workout contradicts calm over concerns for Australian spearhead

vvvslaxman

Rescue bid for out-of-sorts Starc

DECEMBER 12, 2018

Mitchell Starc was the one paceman from the first Test who turned out for training at the WACA yesterday. Experts believed he was out of sorts in the first game and his solo appearance suggests he or the coaches have concerns.

The left-armer bowled a handful of overs from either end of the ground before chatting with Justin Langer and bowling coach David Saker.

Tim Paine has dismissed concerns around the seamer, and opening batsman Marcus Harris reported that Starc was generating serious pace at training.

“He bowled pretty well,” he said. “There was obviously a bit of talk about him after the game, but I thought he bowled pretty well ­during the game.

“He felt like he was in good rhythm out there before, so I’m sure he’s ready and raring to go ­before Friday.”

Mitchell Johnson highlighted Starc’s body language during the first Test while commentating for the ABC and has offered to help his former teammate.

“Everyone operates in a different way and I’ve already sent him a couple of text messages to see if he wants to catch up and have a chat about things because I have worked with him in the past and you get to know people really well,” Johnson said on BBC’s Stumps podcast after the match.

“It just looked like there was something on his mind, something’s not quite clicking (in the first Test).

“We’ll sit down hopefully before the Perth Test match starts.”

Johnson was dropped after the first Test of the 2010-11 Ashes and given an intensive makeover during the second. The quick returned for the Perth match and had instant success, taking nine wickets, but it was a short-term fix that didn’t last long.

Starc, 27, bowled with Mitchell Marsh and Peter Siddle to Harris and Usman Khawaja in the middle, prompting suggestions that Aaron Finch may be dropped down the order.

Perth’s new stadium promises to present a lively wicket and will give Starc the best chance to make a statement. Even though his return of 5-103 from 41 overs in Adelaide was reasonable he looked underdone, at times wayward and in the second innings was taken off after two middling overs with the second new ball.

“It’s probably going to be a pretty quick and bouncy wicket as well,” Johnson said. “That could really get (Starc) alive and going.

“All I would say to him is he’s just got to have that belief in himself and get involved in the game and I guess have that presence.”

Mark Waugh floated the possibility that the selectors would look elsewhere if Starc didn’t perform in the second Test which starts tomorrow.

“If he’s probably not up to scratch in Perth I think they might think about making some changes for the rest of the series,” he said. “He hasn’t bowled at his best probably the last 12 months.

“He’s just been a little bit off with his consistency and line and length.

“But he’s that sort of bowler who’s a bit of an enigma. He bowls some bad balls and then he’ll bowl you a cracking delivery. I’d just love to see him be a bit more consistent with the new ball. Perth’s really going to suit him.”

Meanwhile, cricket’s credibility will be on trial in the second Test following secret videos revealing Australia were no-balled towards defeat in Adelaide.

A review of the tapes shows India spearhead Ishant Sharma bowling at least 16 uncalled front-foot no balls in just the first innings of the match.

Sharma was called only once for overstepping and that appeared to be almost by accident when Aaron Finch went to DRS for an lbw shout that otherwise would have been out.

Commentators reported watching multiple Sharma overs where they examined the cameras used to determine run-outs, and were stunned that on at least two occasions the Indian star bowled four out of six no-balls an over and, in at least one instance, every single delivery of an over.

No exhaustive study has yet been done of Sharma’s second innings bowling but it’s possible the quick might have got away with the 30 plus runs that ultimately proved the difference in the match.

In any event it was a stack of unpunished deliveries and at least three overs that the big quick didn’t have to re-bowl in the arduous Adelaide heat.

Australia can in no way blame uncalled no balls from the umpires for their loss in Adelaide when the top order failed so badly in both innings. But confirmation that officials no longer check the bowlers’ front foot has been labelled an embarrassment for the game.

Broadcasters are forced to foot the International Cricket Council’s $30,000 daily bill for DRS technology and there is growing bemusement that the third umpire doesn’t even bother to check available footage to adjudicate on no balls.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/starc-workout-contradicts-calm-over-concerns-for-australian-spearhead-20181212-p50lvn.html

Key take away. Should we back spray gun Umesh?

"At his best, Starc would be a handful on an Optus Stadium deck that has been tipped to be fast and bouncy like the WACA pitches of old."

This being a key test in the series. Not sure how umesh spray gun will handle it. Also he doesn’t seem to have the pace as well. But considering the in expirience of this Aussie may be worth a try. The only problem with him is the current strategy of the team is choke runs keep it tight and the Aussie bats made mistake umesh will release pressure from ball one.

5 hours ago, kruiser said:

If the umpires had called the no-balls correctly, he would have adjusted his runup and have had Cummins LBW in 2nd innings. More than the batting team, the bowler suffers if the no-balls are not called; especially in a test match.

it could go either way.

It not based on the starting point of run up.. it where you jump and land. I think Ishant got it wrong when he decided the run-up for the game and jump point. If called  often he would tend to look at this spot of flight ( where he jumps) rather than where he has to get the ball to go i.e  loose rhythm