Will NZ ever win a WC?

I6MTW

I felt this was their best chance. So close, yet so far. Heartbreak. 

Now, I don't see them coming close to a WC victory again in the near future. Let's face it, they got this far because of luck and peaking at the right time. Their actual level was quite mediocre, especially batting wise bar Williamson. Next WC is in SC which NZ will not do as well. I don't see any domestic talent in NZ for NZ to have convincing runs in ICC tournaments in the future. After the current lot retires/goes pass their prime, NZ will regress to the level of SL and SA. 

Out of all the major teams in cricket, NZ will be the only team without a WC win(I don't count Bangladesh yet). They deserve it for being consistent in ICC tournaments for the past 30 years. But, I don't see them winning a WC in our lifetime. I could be wrong.

12 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Real Question is BD going to win a world cup ? ever ?

Lol no, highly doubt it. They just don't have the bowling. And I doubt any legendary bowler will rise from the streets of Bangladesh in the next decade or so. Plus they get too arrogant/over confident when they win a few matches. Both the team and their fans. So that's bound to backfire. 

NZ is probably the best team now to never have won a world cup. Even a t20 won for that matter. They've only won a CT.

cricket is quite shallow as a sport compared to say football. 

If you look at cricket world cup over say a 100 year period. Mostly NZ will win the world cup. In 45 odd years we have seen WI, India,  Aus, , Pak, SL and now England unique winners. Thats 6 out of 10 permanent teams. Over the next probably 40 years I am pretty sure we will see more unique winners. 

I think in a way it can be compared to rugby as well. Rugby world cup started around the same time as cricket. Another sport which is shallow in terms of participants. NZ Aus England South africa are winners. France in a way is like NZ who reach the finals multiple times and lose. But over time I am sure that that sport too will have winners.

Its sports like the football world cup which has a pool of 20-25 teams over time where there is an issue if a team will ever win it. But even in that sport Spain won in 2010 and was a unique team in winning. 

19 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Now, I don't see them coming close to a WC victory again in the near future.

They've been in 2 World Cup finals in a row even when nobody actually thought they'd get there. Seeing how pretty much every country is getting progressively worse in terms of quality of talent and there's no real dominant team like West Indies of the 80s and Australia of the 00s, it's not hard to imagine New Zealand winning the World Cup in the not too distant future.