Question about the legendary 2001 Ind-Aus series

In the first test, the spinners were Harbhajan and Rahul Sanghvi.  In the 2nd, Harbhajan and Venkatapathy Raju.  In the 3rd, Harbhajan, Bahutule and Nilesh Kulkarni.  Where was Kumble?  He was just 2 years removed from the 10-wkt haul, but guys like Bahutule and Sanghvi played ahead of him against the world's best team coming into the series.  Was he hurt?  Selector myopia?  

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Injured, just like Srinath. 

So we beat the 16-test world beaters without two of our best bowlers.  Watching the highlights of the last 2 matches of that series never gets old.  Very Very Special indeed. 

On a related note, I had totally forgotten what a struggle the Chennai match was.  Re-watched the highlights yesterday.  The usual 4th-innings collapse, the usual panic chasing even a 155 run target.  All credit to Dighe and Harbhajan for holding their nerve.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

In the first test, the spinners were Harbhajan and Rahul Sanghvi.  In the 2nd, Harbhajan and Venkatapathy Raju.  In the 3rd, Harbhajan, Bahutule and Nilesh Kulkarni.  Where was Kumble?  He was just 2 years removed from the 10-wkt haul, but guys like Bahutule and Sanghvi played ahead of him against the world's best team coming into the series.  Was he hurt?  Selector myopia?  

He was injured but only that. He gave a lot of bowling tips to Bhajji to bowl against the Aussies and I remember an article where bhajji was very thankful to Kumble. Kumble didn't mind giving tips to some junior with whom he will have to fight for a spot in away tours in the future. A rare species not usually found in Indian cricket. It was a wonderful series and will be etched forever in my heart

Kumble was injured and out for the entire series. The selectors were desperate to find an attacking spinner. There was talk of picking domestic veteran Kanwaljit Singh of Hyderabad but in the end, the selectors bet on Bhajji and the rest is history. After his debut in '98(against Australia), there was an issue with his action and he became out of favor. His replacement Nikhil Chopra had a bent arm too and was embroiled in the match fixing saga of 2000. After remedial work at NCA, Bhajji was certified Kosher and brought back.

Edited by nevada

Thank God for clampdown on chucking. 2001 series, most of SL's famous wins, Pak-Eng 2012 series (UAE) will always have * attached to them....

Cricket is a much fairer sport now. No chucking, neutral umps+DRS, reduced instances of ball/pitch tampering, multiple cameras, steep costs for fixing yada yada. 

Edited by Gollum
31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Thank God for clampdown on chucking. 2001 series, most of SL's famous wins, Pak-Eng 2012 series (UAE) will always have * attached to them....

Cricket is a much fairer sport now. No chucking, neutral umps+DRS, reduced instances of ball/pitch tampering, multiple cameras, steep costs for fixing yada yada. 

Was Harbhajan bowling the doosra then?  Watching the highlights, didn't see it, but my perception is not that good.  If he was bowling it, then * is deserved.  I am convinced that no one can bowl a doosra without chucking. 

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Was Harbhajan bowling the doosra then?  Watching the highlights, didn't see it, but my perception is not that good.  If he was bowling it, then * is deserved.  I am convinced that no one can bowl a doosra without chucking. 

Then i dont think he had doosra but his action was dodgy from day -1 

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

He was injured but only that. He gave a lot of bowling tips to Bhajji to bowl against the Aussies and I remember an article where bhajji was very thankful to Kumble. Kumble didn't mind giving tips to some junior with whom he will have to fight for a spot in away tours in the future. A rare species not usually found in Indian cricket. It was a wonderful series and will be etched forever in my heart

Well present cricketers still do

Yuvi is helping abhishek, gill , anmolpreet in. 21 day camp in punjab

Sachin helped kohli post 2014 england tour

Raina went to ganguly for help in 2015 

I read an article how sreesanth helped sandeep warrier in ranji . 

Good thing about indian cricket is cricketers have been sharing knowledge time after time

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Does that remain only series which full strength Aussie side lost?

2005 ashes can be another. Steve Waugh retired year ago. Mcgrath missed 2 matches and gillespie was done by then but other than that it was almost full strength aus team. 

"Almost" full strength Aussie side - Brett Lee was out injured and Kasprowicz/Miller were the 4th bowling options.

This is one of the reasons Butcher's 173 can be rated highly as it came against full strength Aussie attack - McGrath & Warne (both 30+ wickets in that series) + Gillespie & Lee - all close to their peak & in good form. But it hardly gets mentioned when talking about great knocks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Well present cricketers still do

Yuvi is helping abhishek, gill , anmolpreet in. 21 day camp in punjab

Sachin helped kohli post 2014 england tour

Raina went to ganguly for help in 2015 

I read an article how sreesanth helped sandeep warrier in ranji . 

Good thing about indian cricket is cricketers have been sharing knowledge time after time

Yes but Kumble helped Bhajji even though he may have to fight him for the spinner spot in foreign conditions. Rest of the players you mentioned helped after going into retirement or semi retirement. Kumble was still a force to reckon with and he played till 2008

8 hours ago, Scarface said:

"Almost" full strength Aussie side - Brett Lee was out injured and Kasprowicz/Miller were the 4th bowling options.

This is one of the reasons Butcher's 173 can be rated highly as it came against full strength Aussie attack - McGrath & Warne (both 30+ wickets in that series) + Gillespie & Lee - all close to their peak & in good form. But it hardly gets mentioned when talking about great knocks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Brett Lee was not that great in tests. If any team beats Mcgrath/Warne, that is good enough for me. Gillespie was the best new ball partner Mcgrath ever had and is far better than Lee in tests. Gillespie was quick but not as quick as Lee but he doesn't waste balls like Lee does sometimes. Butcher's 173 was a special innings but it came after Aus made a sporting declaration to win the game and the pitch had flattened out.

9 hours ago, Nikola said:

2005 ashes can be another. Steve Waugh retired year ago. Mcgrath missed 2 matches and gillespie was done by then but other than that it was almost full strength aus team. 

2005 was the beginning of the end for many players that made the team great. Mcgrath won the first test at Lords and missed the next. If he played the outcome could have been different. Gillespie as you said was done. Waugh brothers were gone. Every major player was nearing the end of their careers. Can't really say they were much stronger than 2001 series.