Rahane's player performance thread

On the match thread someone has posted "Rahane's failures have been a key reason why we aren't dominating England.  If he had been scoring even 50-odd here and there, Rajkot wouldn't have been close, and we would be cruising here."

So isnt it obvious, that we can look to strengthen this weakness due to Rahane by sending him back to Domestic to get his form back rather then persisting with him and lose the chance to dominate in the series. After all, we are playing at home and not overseas, where dropping a player mid series is huge.

54 minutes ago, Dinx - the Jinx said:

Its not about Rahane. Its about team India. England didnt think twice before dropping Ben Ducket and replaced him with Buttler who hant played FC for a long time. They didnt think this will dent Ben's confidence or spoil his career. They are here to win the series not nurture Ben Ducket

Ben Duckett is new and under extreme pressure. With Rahane you know he will produce that brilliant knock when India needs him. His record proves it. Also he has had starts in this series like in the previous test he had a decent p'ship with Kohli.

Indian can not afford to drop someone like Vijay or Rahane who have been inconsistent a bit of late. We have to persist with them as it is hard to get a newbie into a test side which is already having too many changes because of injuries and top of it, India is already playing a 5 batsmen only combination where it will be a crazy gamble to drop Rahane or Vijay.

14 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Ben Duckett is new and under extreme pressure. With Rahane you know he will produce that brilliant knock when India needs him. His record proves it. Also he has had starts in this series like in the previous test he had a decent p'ship with Kohli.

Indian can not afford to drop someone like Vijay or Rahane who have been inconsistent a bit of late. We have to persist with them as it is hard to get a newbie into a test side which is already having too many changes because of injuries and top of it, India is already playing a 5 batsmen only combination where it will be a crazy gamble to drop Rahane or Vijay.

Now, why are we bringing Vijay into this. The topic is about Rahane. And as I mentioned earlier I am not comparing Rahane to Ben Ducket. I was comparing the tacts of the captain/coach. Sorry if I misled you by taking the name of Ben Ducket here. Please move away from that. What I meant was if you want to dominate in the series you should be firing in all cylinders that means get your best team on the field (barring injuries that is). England brought Jos Buttler in and it was a risk and they were willing to take it. Why cant we? For the sake of dominance. We dont want to win this 2-1, we want to win this 4-0 or 3-0

13 minutes ago, Dinx - the Jinx said:

Now, why are we bringing Vijay into this. The topic is about Rahane. And as I mentioned earlier I am not comparing Rahane to Ben Ducket. I was comparing the tacts of the captain/coach. Sorry if I misled you by taking the name of Ben Ducket here. Please move away from that. What I meant was if you want to dominate in the series you should be firing in all cylinders that means get your best team on the field (barring injuries that is). England brought Jos Buttler in and it was a risk and they were willing to take it. Why cant we? For the sake of dominance. We dont want to win this 2-1, we want to win this 4-0 or 3-0

I got Vijay into this to remind people that these two are having a similar kind of run. Vijay got century recently but other than that he has been also average recently. But I am not worried about it like Rahane, Vijay has earned his spot and to me they are just having a bad run, that's about it. 

Regarding Rahane

Regarding playing the strongest player. I honestly don't know who will be our stronger replacement of Rahane. He shouldn't just play spinner well, but should be able to handle Broad, Woakes and the great Anderson. Do we have someone right now? May be, but  I don't reckon he will be as consistent as Rahane has been last whole year. They will come under huge pressure playing in a team which is playing 5-5-1 combination. Batting at no.5 , the replacement will be expected to have a decent score right away or else he risk of getting dropped. 

We need to stick with Rahane. Back him during these tough times. We are world no.1 because of players like him in the team. 

3 hours ago, Dinx - the Jinx said:

Its not about Rahane. Its about team India. England didnt think twice before dropping Ben Ducket and replaced him with Buttler who hant played FC for a long time. They didnt think this will dent Ben's confidence or spoil his career. They are here to win the series not nurture Ben Ducket

Ben Duckett wasn't their best test batsman coming into this series.

I think once the opposition gets on top of you in a long test series it is very difficult to come back. A smart move would be to take him out the firing line for a test if he doesn't come good in the second innings.  

Rest assured, India need an in form Rahane to beat the top nations. 

See I am not saying Rahane has to be dropped for ever. He is a class batsman and he has to serve India well for years to come. With that long term vision, he needs to get back to Domestic, get his form back and make a come back. We cannot risk losing the series in order to give Rahane the chance to get his form back by playing in a high profile series. If we are playing NZ or SL or WI - then yes. I dont mind.

Regarding who is the replacement - it could be anyone who has been in good nick in the Ranji's in the recent past. Even if he scores a 50+ consistently, I would take it rather than waiting for Rahane to make a 100 once in 10 innings.

As far as Vijay is conerned - its not that he is not in bad form. He is getting out carelessly or to good balls. If you see his batting before eventually getting out, he has been showing good defence in blocking and leaving and suddenly gets out. The coach and captain has to pull him up, gives a mouthful and ask him to play responsibly. Whereas Rahane's is a case of loss in form. He appears clueless. Did you see the amount of gap between the bat and pad in today's dismissal? This cannot go on until end of the series, only to fins that we have wasted 4 innings