Pakistani selectors have outsmarted their Indian counterparts

TLDR - sorry, didn't bother reading this flawed hypothesis.  

I wouldn't trade the admittedly ordinary current set of Indian selectors for the corruption infested PCB selectors for a bazillion dollars.  Pakistan team played well and all credit to them, but the PCB and its selection "committee" are part of the problem for them, not the solution.  They are responsible for the termites eating away at Pakistani cricket - our board and selectors may not be be optimal, but let's not compare them with the absolute worst in the business just because we lost one big game.  

Isn't PCB selection headed by Inzamam

now?

While a better player doesn't always necessarily  make a better coach/selector/management I think He has taken some good decisions

on the other hand we have MSK Prasad who comes across as a big fan boy of these over the hill players.

Edited by maniac
3 hours ago, sandeep said:

I wouldn't trade the admittedly ordinary current set of Indian selectors for the corruption infested PCB selectors for a bazillion dollars.  Pakistan team played well and all credit to them, but the PCB and its selection "committee" are part of the problem for them, not the solution.  They are responsible for the termites eating away at Pakistani cricket - our board and selectors may not be be optimal, but let's not compare them with the absolute worst in the business just because we lost one big game.  

@sandeep But I think team management ,captain and specially Mickey Arthur deserves alot of praise. 

5 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

@sandeep But I think team management ,captain and specially Mickey Arthur deserves alot of praise. 

I don't want to take any credit for them - they have pulled off an amazing achievement by winning CT.   But I'm not sold on either Arthur or Sarfraz over the long-term.  I think Arthur is not the smartest coach around from a tactical perspective, his thoughts are almost too reactive and "conventionally unconventional" for lack of a better description.  

Sarfraz, I think is a captain who has a lot of scope for improvement - across the board.  From man management to game management.   

Again, this may sound petty after they have just won the CT, and I don't mean to bash them - just an honest opinion.   

And as far as the selectors are concerned, I think Pakistan fans should be very careful giving too much undue credit - I don't think the team has achieved success due to selection, its more like in spite of them.  

They may have...But we have some unbelievable talent waiting in the wings...It's incredible that despite the coach captain fight, despite the continuous season of tests and ipl we reached final.. we have a pretty good team barring 3 or 4 players and that keeps me optimistic.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I don't want to take any credit for them - they have pulled off an amazing achievement by winning CT.   But I'm not sold on either Arthur or Sarfraz over the long-term.  I think Arthur is not the smartest coach around from a tactical perspective, his thoughts are almost too reactive and "conventionally unconventional" for lack of a better description.  

Sarfraz, I think is a captain who has a lot of scope for improvement - across the board.  From man management to game management.   

Again, this may sound petty after they have just won the CT, and I don't mean to bash them - just an honest opinion.   

And as far as the selectors are concerned, I think Pakistan fans should be very careful giving too much undue credit - I don't think the team has achieved success due to selection, its more like in spite of them.  

I agree. Selection was atrocious that's why no one rated us

Edited by Autonomous
14 hours ago, Sgattick10 said:

I have a question why do these selectors always pick the side for next series right in middle of on going series or before the final of a championship. Are they scared that if big players fail to perform there will be pressure on them to drop them or give chance to new players? Look at this tournament, if the selectors waited till the finals, they could have rested Yuvraj, Dhoni, Jadeja and Ashwin and pick some fresh talent. 

The WI series itself was arranged as an R&R opportunity for gaye guzre cricketers to pad up their averages and repair their reputations. So why would the selectors not announce the team before the final?

54 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I agree. Selection was atrocious that's why no one rated us

Its not just selection.   Pakistan may have beaten England and India in the CT, but reality is that if the same teams play 5 more games on the same pitch, or in any type of conditions - odds of Pakistan losing 4 out of 5 games would be around 75%.  This is the reason why the team wasn't rated.   Not just selection.  

37 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Its not jnicelyust  selection.   Pakistan may have beaten England and India in the CT, but reality is that if the same teams play 5 more games on the same pitch, or in any type of conditions - odds of Pakistan losing 4 out of 5 games would be around 75%.  This is the reason why the team wasn't rated.   Not just selection. up selection  

@sandeep Sharjeel is unavailable and he was shaping up nicely, There were many inconsistencies in selections off late which put question mark over team's chances in CT2017, Of course no one will rate a team which did not even have it's combination and set of players right to have a shot at the title. 

Kamran Akmal was selected for West Indies tour and dropped for Umar Akmal who was dropped earlier on fitness grounds, Then again sent back for the same reason. Expectations would be low in such mess and jeopardy where selection of players is open to a big question mark, I also feel youngsters are the way to go ahead. 

These Akmals and Shehzads are all drama and in the team for reasons other than performance. 

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

So you are happy with has-beens like Yuvi, Dhoni, Ashwin, Karthik etc. getting chances over and over again instead of young talented players who are the future of Indian cricket? Because it's clearly visible that the selectors have more faith in these oldies rather than our youth, totally opposite of the Pakistani selectors. 

I'm not saying that the likes of Pant, Rahul, Kuldeep etc. are future ATGs, but they should be selected and backed just like how Pakistani selectors back Fakhar Zaman, Haris Sohail and Shadab Khan. 

We need to build the team for 2019 WC, give youngsters a chance to cement their spot in the team. We have a lot of talent but it needs to be used to the fullest! 

3 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

So you are happy with has-beens like Yuvi, Dhoni, Ashwin, Karthik etc. getting chances over and over again instead of young talented players who are the future of Indian cricket? Because it's clearly visible that the selectors have more faith in these oldies rather than our youth, totally opposite of the Pakistani selectors. 

I'm not saying that the likes of Pant, Rahul, Kuldeep etc. are future ATGs, but they should be selected and backed just like how Pakistani selectors back Fakhar Zaman, Haris Sohail and Shadab Khan. 

We need to build the team for 2019 WC, give youngsters a chance to cement their spot in the team. We have a lot of talent but it needs to be used to the fullest! 

Buddy, this is the squad I wanted for the Windies tour:

KL Rahul

Shreyas Iyer

Manish Pandey

Kedar Jadhav

Hardik Pandya

Rishabh Pant

Axar Patel / Krunal Pandya

Yuz Chahal

Kuldeep Yadav

Nathu Singh

Basil Thampi

Pradeep Sangwan

Sanju Samson

Sandeep Sharma / Unadkat

Spare batsman

So I'm not claiming our selectors are perfect.   But you are giving undue credit to Pak selectors without really knowing much about how they go about their business.  

Well honestly not really

Pakistan team is at low, and sometimes thats the best position to be in thats when u desperately look for good options and u clearly know where u lack. So pakistan knew they lacked power hitters and PSL gave them options

They did pick akmal n shehzad, shehzad was intially given the nod . When u have failure that to against indian and big one changes were suppose to happen hence fakhar got in

So they are no different

As compare to us we are not at low, we still get good result and in between bilateral crap blind us enough

I dnt think our team mngmt is clear what we need like-

Aggresive opener- instead we get rahane

Wrist spinner- none in squad

6th bowler- WI tour n still no signs

tall hit the deck fast bowlers- expect dhawal or unadkat in future . Dnt count that out 

Both India n pakistan teams learn when they hot rock bottom, pakistan is there we are not 

Even the young team in 2007 t20wc was becoz seniors decided not to go it was no master plan from selectors. So good things happen to us by accident

So unfortunately sometimes u have to wish the teams gets a trashing so we open our eyes  

We actually didn't known bumrahs capabilities for ODI. We just tried him after considering all the options dried out  in T20s down under. He clicked in T20s and we picked him for ODIs. Till then the selectors were reposing faith on ishant sharma and others. Rishabh pant had to move mountains to get selected.