Rahane can be our floater for 2019WC in middle order- Kohli

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Real floaters should be able to accelerate and also build.  Ajay Jadeja was a good floater in the 90s. He could open the innings , build in the middle overs and also finish. Pretty sure Rahane could not have played an innings like Jadeja played in 1996 world cup against Pakistan.

Rahane can't even play that Inning in his dreams. This guy is pure CRAP. 

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Virat's not great at hitting the ball in his first 20-25 balls at the crease either.  He would not be that great batting at #5 .   But he's earned the right to bat at #3 due to his consistent performances there when he got the chance.  

I think he can easily bat from 1-5 . He does not try to hit from word go intentionally imo , but if he has to am pretty sure he can cos you dont see him struggling with timing even early on . 

The only other guy who was arguably better in this aspect was Raina . 

3 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Remember Rahane's innings vs SA in World Cup 2015. I would say it was as good as Jadeja's of 1996.

Rahane is pretty versatile , just that he does not have the big shots but its a myth that he cannot score quickly . I really dont agree with some that hes crap , he can be a pretty good player . I said before the series as awell , give him a consistent run of 10 matches opening you will start seeing India getting much quicker starts than we do with Rohit . The only place he will get exposed is ironically in India where his allround game will be of lesser value when the rr/rrr goes from 6 to 7 , with Par totals ~350 .  

2 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

No, one like Gary Kirsten would work fine. :thumb:

There wasn't much of a difference between Kirsten and Fletcher....Kirsten had luck and team in its prime...Fletcher had legends in decline.

Kirsten to if we remember had got kicked out in the first round of 2 Wt20s, lost series in Srilanka and won at home which Fletcher did as well

minus the England series.

Kirsten had no coaching experience whatsoever....Fletcher was disappointing because he was a big backer of allrounders spin and fast and loved 150+ fast bowlers.

Also most new players who debuted under Kirsten where introduced in the Chappell era be it Raina,Sreeshanth,Mumaf,RP etc. or the generation prior.

Kirtsen has to be the most overrated coach ever.

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

There wasn't much of a difference between Kirsten and Fletcher....Kirsten had luck and team in its prime...Fletcher had legends in decline.

Kirsten to if we remember had got kicked out in the first round of 2 Wt20s, lost series in Srilanka and won at home which Fletcher did as well

minus the England series.

Kirsten had no coaching experience whatsoever....Fletcher was disappointing because he was a big backer of allrounders spin and fast and loved 150+ fast bowlers.

Also most new players who debuted under Kirsten where introduced in the Chappell era be it Raina,Sreeshanth,Mumaf,RP etc. or the generation prior.

Kirtsen has to be the most overrated coach ever.

I think we give coaches too much credit/blame. The captain ultimately has final say in the Indian team, so it's more accurate to blame MS for any selection issues with regards to all-rounders and fast bowlers. If the captain wants something else in the XI, or even the squad, he ultimately gets what he wants.   

11 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I think we give coaches too much credit/blame. The captain ultimately has final say in the Indian team, so it's more accurate to blame MS for any selection issues with regards to all-rounders and fast bowlers. If the captain wants something else in the XI, or even the squad, he ultimately gets what he wants.   

I agree.In the Indian set up it's always the captain who is the king and should get the credit and criticism.

I have reservations on such a system though....with Pakistanis especially like Imran Khan etc it can succeed because they grew up with stories like Aurangazeb killing his brother or Some other Sultan killing his father to get to the throne, so they tend to be more proactive to win games by even throwing out their friends/family like Imran did with his brother....in the Indian set up unfortunately we will see and have seen it before with favoritism creeping in. Kapil showed it with Chetan Sharma and other crappy fast bowlers sidelining Shekhar etc...Dhoni did show it for many years with Jadeja before he came good...now we can see that with Kohli and Yuvraj etc.

A captain is a player first so he is accountable for his performances first followed by his management,where as a full time coach is judged solely on management skills.

Edited by maniac
10 minutes ago, maniac said:

I agree.In the Indian set up it's always the captain who is the king and should get the credit and criticism.

I have reservations on such a system though....with Pakistanis especially like Imran Khan etc it can succeed because they grew up with stories like Aurangazeb killing his brother or Some other Sultan killing his father to get to the throne, so they tend to be more proactive to win games by even throwing out their friends/family like Imran did with his brother....in the Indian set up unfortunately we will see and have seen it before with favoritism creeping in. Kapil showed it with Chetan Sharma and other crappy fast bowlers sidelining Shekhar etc...Dhoni did show it for many years with Jadeja before he came good...now we can see that with Kohli and Yuvraj etc.

A captain is a player first so he is accountable for his performances first followed by his management,where as a full time coach is judged solely on management skills.

Part of that is just because as fans we care about the players, not the coach. In the NBA they always say that a coach is expendable, but a star player like Kobe or Lebron are not. You can always find another coach to sit and collect paychecks, but it's more difficult to replace a Ganguly, Dhoni, or Kohli in a team. 

To cut the captain's power in the team, I think it is more the BCCI's job to step in. The BCCI would have to tell the selectors that they should select the best 15 players for the squad with zero input form the captain. Also, it's the BCCI's job to establish the power dynamic between captain and coach in playing XI decisions, etc. Technically the BCCI is the boss of both the players and the coach, so the onus is on them to make changes. Currently, it seems the BCCI prefers it this way, with captain getting final say over the coach. 

What is funny is that sometimes the ex-cricketers who comment on everything seem to have double standards. I remember Gavaskar, after our 8-0 whitewash was trashing Fletcher, saying that he wasn't doing anything and asking why was he coach. Later there was an article I read where Kohli credited Fletcher with our improvement in fitness standards in the team. On the other hand, during the current drama, Gavaskar is supporting Kumble over Kohli. In both cases we know that captain has final say over coach, but Sunny only supported the coach in the current drama. 

http://c.mp.ucweb.com/detail/879d2cb1794c42db9a27c806f8eaa16c?a=1&uc_param_str=dnvebichfrmintcpwidsudsvnwpflameefut&uc_news_item_id=2044535594451230&uc_news_app=browser_iflow&mt=&reco_id=c6faaf32-7106-4e74-a246-d4731f591716&ucnews_rt=kCategory&entry=browser&entry1=shareback&entry2=widget

Hmm...Let's see. So far it seems to be going as per the horoscope prediction. I don't know about spectacular knocks or breaking records as I think he is not capable of either one. An injury in last quarter could very well happen due to fielding which means someone like Pant or a young batsman might get chance. 

21 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Rahane is pretty versatile , just that he does not have the big shots but its a myth that he cannot score quickly . I really dont agree with some that hes crap , he can be a pretty good player . I said before the series as awell , give him a consistent run of 10 matches opening you will start seeing India getting much quicker starts than we do with Rohit . The only place he will get exposed is ironically in India where his allround game will be of lesser value when the rr/rrr goes from 6 to 7 , with Par totals ~350 .  

His lack of ability to produce big overs will always be held against him. Since he is not a typical Indian player with wrist works he struggles to score singles along the ground. He relies on clearing the inner ring more often than not. Also he resorts to wild ungainly slogs when he is under pressure to score quick runs.  Guys like him, Dravid have a capacity beyond which they don't perform. Very rarely they do that like Dravid did in 1999 world cup against Srilanka.

Edited by vvvslaxman
9 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

His lack of ability to produce big overs will always be held against him. Since he is not a typical Indian player with wrist works he struggles to score singles along the ground. He relies on clearing the inner ring more often than not. Also he resorts to wild ungainly slogs when he is under pressure to release pressure.  Guys like him, Dravid have a capacity beyond which they don't perform. Very rarely they do that like Dravid did in 1999 world cup against Srilanka.

I agree hes not some one who can give you 18+ runs in a over if required . Comparison with Dravid is apt , but one difference was that Dravid was extremely good under pressure he played an important role in some big chases supporting the likes of Yuvi . Rahane now is a bit like how Dravid was in his early days , too many of his good shots would go straight to fielders , but if he can change his game a bit with a little bit of confidence I think even Rahane will be fine rotating the strike . 

The positives about Rahane is his intent and his technique , once hes settled in the team he will give us consistent good starts . He does not have the big shots , but if he opens he does not need it as long as he can use the Power plays , which we are wasting these days . You really dont need your openers to build their innings and play all 50 overs , 240/4 at 40 is better than 210/0 . 

All am saying is hes not as bad as hes been made out to be and hes a better bet than some of players our captain prefers , but that does not mean hes the best option we have . 

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I agree hes not some one who can give you 18+ runs in a over if required . Comparison with Dravid is apt , but one difference was that Dravid was extremely good under pressure he played an important role in some big chases supporting the likes of Yuvi . Rahane now is a bit like how Dravid was in his early days , too many of his good shots would go straight to fielders , but if he can change his game a bit with a little bit of confidence I think even Rahane will be fine rotating the strike . 

The positives about Rahane is his intent and his technique , once hes settled in the team he will give us consistent good starts . He does not have the big shots , but if he opens he does not need it as long as he can use the Power plays , which we are wasting these days . You really dont need your openers to build their innings and play all 50 overs , 240/4 at 40 is better than 210/0 . 

All am saying is hes not as bad as hes been made out to be and hes a better bet than some of players our captain prefers , but that does not mean hes the best option we have . 

Yes, he is not our best option.