Ravi Shastri new India head coach

5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Neither. We had better options in Moody/Simmons/Lalchand/ Richards. 

Let me rephrase the question. We are fully committed to Kohli as a captain now and for the next couple of years. He is our best player. Would you not want someone who he has a good relationship with and someone who he really wants to work under?

Just now, Laaloo said:

Let me rephrase the question. We are fully committed to Kohli as a captain now and for the next couple of years. He is our best player. Would you not want someone who he has a good relationship with and someone who he really wants to work under?

Let us say Ravi Shastri is the nicest guy in the world, how does that help Kohli in his captaincy?

Or are we saying that if Kohli is left to his own device he is a strategic genius who will figure everything out?

@Laaloo as I said Ravi Shastri being the coach is not the problem but the way he forced his way into the scheme of things and how players dictate who should be the management in the bigger picture is a concern.

Kohli might still go pile up runs and we may still win games..it will be fine when things are going our way but not the best solution for crisis situations.

Just now, maniac said:

Let us say Ravi Shastri is the nicest guy in the world, how does that help Kohli in his captaincy?

Or are we saying that if Kohli is left to his own device he is a strategic genius who will figure everything out?

What is the coachs role anyways? Remember all those defeats under the two duds in Dhoni and Duncan. I do not agree with ousting kumble and I do not support Kohli in that fight. But I'm just looking at the bigger picture. We are committed to Kohli as the captain now. Shastri has not been a total failure. He lost two series, one in Aus and one at home against SA. If kohli performs better under Shastri as opposed to other coaches, then what's the harm?

1 minute ago, Laaloo said:

What is the coachs role anyways? Remember all those defeats under the two duds in Dhoni and Duncan. I do not agree with ousting kumble and I do not support Kohli in that fight. But I'm just looking at the bigger picture. We are committed to Kohli as the captain now. Shastri has not been a total failure. He lost two series, one in Aus and one at home against SA. If kohli performs better under Shastri as opposed to other coaches, then what's the harm?

Performance was not bad under Kumble either infact way better under Kumble...but having said that yeah coach cannot play for the players....From what we heard Kohli overrode Kumble's decision to bat first but atleast there was a guy disagreeing or having a different pov...with Shastri it would have been.."ok hun...whatever you say hun"

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Performance was not bad under Kumble either infact way better under Kumble...but having said that yeah coach cannot play for the players....From what we heard Kohli overrode Kumble's decision to bat first but atleast there was a guy disagreeing or having a different pov...with Shastri it would have been.."ok hun...whatever you say hun"

True. Virats fetish for chasing is getting to the same level as Dhoni taking everything to the last over!!!!

6 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Checks and balances are required. Otherwise result is always disaster. Hopefully Shastri understands his role being more than just cheerleader.

20 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Why cant Kohli learn to work with Kumble who is a much better strategist and has lot more experience for the overall interest of Indian cricket instead of just having his way and getting someone who will pretty much be a cheerleader for him ? Under Shastri, India lost all games in tri series in Australia, World Cup SF against Australia, lost ODI series in Australia, lost ODI series in BD, lost against SA at home. What inputs did Shastri give to turn the tide and how is he now somehow good to make a comeback ? Compare that team to how India did under Kumble.

If Kohli thinks he is a master strategist who will figure everything out on his own, he is terribly mistaken. His onfield decisions show he is mostly clueless. He is definitely not half as good as Ganguly or Dravid. Good batsman but poor on a strategic level.

Edited by NareshK
6 hours ago, Pollack said:

According to one report, 15/15 players wanted Ravi Shastri. Not even 14-1. 

But yeah Mumbai lobby. I really hope now that Shastri actually holds some position he starts showing what is Mumbai lobby just to piss you guys. :money: But then Indian team would also suffer. :sad:

oh you want more now...lol why not play mumbai team for India...pathetic man.

20 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

i am very happy to see ZAK as the bowling coach.

I can gurantee a Serious JUMP in Smartness among INDIAN PACERS.

I always wanted UMESH SHAMMI ISHANT under ZAK's coaching ..even the lambu Ishant will win wickets now. 

I am super excited with ZAK as the Bowling coach.

Superb Decision ..better late then never.

in all this thats one thing that is positive.  Zak as coach, he being committed with the team and giving him all his exposure, that should be a positive, and he has done this before when he was the defacto bowling captain, ofcouse he cant be in the field now.

Excellent panel of coaches appointed by the CAC, Ravi Shastri is a good choice for head coach work like better man management, Zaheer Khan was needed since long time now, so good to see a good bowling coach finally appointed. Sanjay Bangar and Sridhar have always been praised by the players, specially Bangar got good praise even by IPL teams and players.

9 minutes ago, Vilander said:

oh you want more now...lol why not play mumbai team for India...pathetic man.

Dude what is this Mumbai lobby thing? This is not IPL...ok fair enough if you accuse one of the world's richest men politicking his way in franchise cricket but there is no such thing called Mumbai lobby in internationals.

First let me tell you this I am not very happy with this whole Kumble-Kohli--CAC-Shastri saga either.

Gavaskar,Sachin are not exactly Mumbai lobby they are cricket's biggest stars who happened to be part of Indian cricket and hail from Mumbai

Where exactly are you getting this from?

Rohit,Rahane being backed by Kohli(Delhi) later and Dhoni(Jharkand) not exactly Mumbai lobby

How many Mumbai/Maharashtra cricketers played under Sachin's captaincy?

Yeah Sure Shastri was backed by Sachin that's pretty much the only connection here.

Laxman(Hyderabad),Ganguly(Bengal),Kohli(Delhi)

where exactly is this lobby...Sure 1 see one irrelevant connection.

Also BCCI is not run by Sharad Pawar any more

This is a crapfest but nothing to do with this Mumbai lobby 

Edited by maniac
16 minutes ago, NareshK said:

Why cant Kohli learn to work with Kumble who is a much better strategist and has lot more experience for the overall interest of Indian cricket instead of just having his way and getting someone who will pretty much be a cheerleader for him ? Under Shastri, India lost all games in tri series in Australia, World Cup SF against Australia, lost ODI series in Australia, lost ODI series in BD, lost against SA at home. What inputs did Shastri give to turn the tide and how is he now somehow good to make a comeback ? Compare that team to how India did under Kumble.

If Kohli thinks he is a master strategist who will figure everything out on his own, he is terribly mistaken. His onfield decisions show he is mostly clueless. He is definitely not half as good as Ganguly or Dravid. Good batsman but poor on a strategic level.

Coaching is more than being a strategist.  Man-management, motivational skills, tact, understanding of personalities etc. are essential skills.  It seemed like Kumble was lacking in these areas.  

Edited by Brainfade

I think Shastri was doing fine in his first stint. Kumble replacing an already successful coach at the time was not cool. Now,in essence, the Kumble era has ended and Shastri gets (what should have been his to begin with) his old job back. Also, we are going by perceptions. But there is no real evidence that Kumble was necessarily the better tactician of the two. Shastri knows the game too. There is no evidence that Kumble brought out things in players that Shastri couldn't. Supposedly Shastri had Kohli make subtle changes to his batting stance to better handle the outgoing ball and get out of the slump he encountered in England. What we do know is that Kumble for whatever reason couldn't get along with the captain. Shastri can. So good luck to Shastri and thank you Kumble. Also adding Dravid, Zaheer to the mix brings a lot of depth to this coaching staff. Probably the best staff we have ever had.

2 minutes ago, kirkutfan said:

I think Shastri was doing fine in his first stint. Kumble replacing an already successful coach at the time was not cool. Now,in essence, the Kumble era has ended and Shastri gets (what should have been his to begin with) his old job back. Also, we are going by perceptions. But there is no real evidence that Kumble was necessarily the better tactician of the two. Shastri knows the game too. There is no evidence that Kumble brought out things in players that Shastri couldn't. Supposedly Shastri had Kohli make subtle changes to his batting stance to better handle the outgoing ball and get out of the slump he encountered in England. What we do know is that Kumble for whatever reason couldn't get along with the captain. Shastri can. So good luck to Shastri and thank you Kumble. Also adding Dravid, Zaheer to the mix brings a lot of depth to this coaching staff. Probably the best staff we have ever had.

If Kumble was behind Kuleep getting a game in final test against Australia, He won the series for India which we wouldn't have otherwise. 

Edited by wanted_desi

One thing is for sure - there is immense pressure on Kohli and Shastri to win and win now.  After much drama, they have been given everything they each wanted and now there are no excuses.  It simply must be made to work.

There is also pressure on them to show that the players are truly happy.  There is a microscope focused on the players and their interactions, and every statement that every player makes will be dissected and every possible meaning teased out.  

5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

tumblr_m2kzokGmkx1ql6dglo1_400_zps237317

T330_51034_Ravi-Shastri.gif

is that your comeback... lol

Do you remember when i asked for your opinion about this ??

yeah, Me Neither.

Anyways there is Allan Rickman the great actor and then sashtri uncle the cheerleader cant pull a suit with beer pot belly.

The fun thing is he has to deliver now, no hiding behind anywhere. He is coach. Mr Bombastic.

If he succeeds : everyone is happy as India wins.

If he fails : Would be a lot of fun seeing him face it and last of him. Albeit the pain of Indian loss,for a better future.