What is your cricketing profile?

Nice thread. :nice: 

Highest level : Gully cricket.There is a big field behind my house and there are lots of people living nearby. The longest boundary is equal to around 40 yards. In the childhood sometimes we used to get excess kids even after fielding 11 players each. Haven't played at all since the time all kids grew up and get busy in life.

Batting: Lower middle order bat . I could play only one shot on the leg side. The sweep. Else everything on the off including a lot of reverse sweeps. :giggle: 

Bowling: Primarily a bowler. Mostly bowled off spin/ medium pace out swing sometimes . I was expert in fooling batsman with slower ones when i bowled medium pace. 

Fielding: Average, rarely dived. Ok catcher, rarely dropped. Mostly stood in slips where you rarely get anything in gully cricket. Either it goes in front or straight to the keeper.  

Also i was anti jaddu in direct hits. Everybody shouted "mat maar" whenever i fielded in outfield. :cantstop: 

Never got a chance at higher level because there was absolutely no culture of cricket here before MSD. Now my 16 year old cousin is playing professionally and has joined a club in ranchi. :)

I hardly played an cricket till I finished school , all football uptill then . 

We only played underarm as kids lol

I did play for my college though . O

Batting :Opener , had a very good defence but dint have the patience for singles , was nicknamed "Afridi" lol as I blindly slogged every ball .

Bowling : Partime legspin .

Fielding : Probably what I was best at , have taken some good catches .

Great thread!

Highest level:  Semi-organized tape ball cricket in grad school in the US.  After PhD, in my early 30s, I practiced for a few weeks with NCSU's MACC league team.  Pretty quickly realized that I was too slow and unathletic to compete with the 20-somethings.  One practice session, a short one whistled past too close to my head - I had been married for just about a year at that time, was too risk-averse, and quit.

Batting:  During my tape-ball days, I started off as a dour #3, whose job it was to rotate the strike and let the tailunted guys hit the ball.  I took pride in that role.  Soon managed to develop some strokes and confidence and could hit some biggies in the V.  One time, captain sent me in to finish (33 off 16).  Don't know why but Rafi saab's song "Ehsaan tera hogaa mujh par ..." was stuck in my head on that day.  I kept singing it aloud from the time I took guard to the time we finished it off.  Even in stance facing the bowler.  I think the fielders were irritated enough that they made mental mistakes :-).

Bowling:  Dibbly-dobbly to medium pace.  Usually first-change guy with nagging off-stump line and good length; annoyed the hell out of hitters.  Didn't get much in the way of wickets, except one time I picked up 6 in 4 overs (I suspect spot-fixing from other team's batsmen?).  Transformed into a medium pacer (tried to mimic Srinath's action) for a while and then came back to dibbly-dobbly.  

Fielding:  Less said the better.

Loved those days!!  Thanks for giving this space to reminisce.

Edited by Brainfade
1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

Great thread!

Highest level:  Semi-organized tape ball cricket in grad school in the US.  After PhD, in my early 30s, I practiced for a few weeks with NCSU's MACC league team.  Pretty quickly realized that I was too slow and unathletic to compete with the 20-somethings.  One practice session, a short one whistled past too close to my hea

Macc league, Daymn, the one which has Virginia tech too? I played few games in MACC a while back, just too much drive other wise would have played more games for the Virginia Tech team.

jack of all trades :woot:

bowl fast, spin both left/right

bat left/right

decent fielder

played with plastic ball, rubber ball, tennis, taped tennis ball, cork ball, leather.

max level high school, then just got too busy

come to think of it in hindsight, prolly a little cautious to be playing with leather ball now considering all the things that can go wrong :fear:

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Macc league, Daymn, the one which has Virginia tech too? I played few games in MACC a while back, just too much drive other wise would have played more games for the Virginia Tech team.

Quite possible.  This was in 2000-01.  In the few weeks I practiced, we played local teams in the research triangle area (mostly made of desi software dudes) and one team from South Carolina.  

Cricket is my passion.. I play hard ball cricket for about 7 clubs in different leagues and cities

Highest level : Play club/grade cricked all around Canada and have played against Canadian players, expat players, retired Ranji guys, against kids coming from u-19 Indian Pakistan and Srilanka national teams...

Role... I used to be a bowling allrounder but in last 3 years, my batting has improved so drastically that in all my 7 clubs,  I have become more of a genuine allrounder who bats 2 down and open the bowling... This season, I have been the highest scorer and highest wickettaker for most of my clubs..

Batting: I play both t20 and 50 over format, so I can bat according to the situation.. for example, this past weekend, I scored 39 of 16 balls in the t20 match in the morning, and on the same day, scored 36* of 85 balls in a low scoring chase in the 50 over format(won by 2 wickets)...But I have put lots of effort in my batting in the indoor nets for last 5 years and thats the reason, I have become very consistent scorer for my clubs.. 

Bowling: I can bowl some serious pace though I do feel my pace has gone down in last year as I play for 7 different clubs (upto 3 hard ball matches over a weekend) and usually drain my body....I bowl a bit like Malinga and on good days, I can outswing some bowls like crazy.. if I am not getting swing, then I try to go all out on pace..

Fielding: Ok fielder, rarely dive, slow ground fielder, very strong arm. However a very safe catcher..I am bit muscular so I am slightly slow for the ground fielding :cantstop: . I guess weekly fielding drills my 50 over club team does has really helped me in becoming more agile and quick on the feeet..  In two of my teams where I captain, I hide myself at Square leg :cantstop: but for other clubs, they tend to put me on long on long off because of my strong arm ( I hate it though)

Overall, I am a pretty good cricketer who has worked really hard on his cricket in last 5 years, and can call myself a genuine allrounder (I seriously bowl faster than Binny)

Edited by rahulrulezz
1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

Dayumm ... that's impressive.  Juggling practice schedules must be a real challenge, eh?

Haha yes but I have prioritized my clubs. So I play for certain clubs, and if i am free and there is no conflict, I play for other clubs. 

It helps that I work in the Ministry so I don't any work on the weekends or any late hours on weekdays.

Gives me ample time to enjoy my passion.

2 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

Haha yes but I have prioritized my clubs. So I play for certain clubs, and if i am free and there is no conflict, I play for other clubs. 

Thats a typical life we go through in this region who love to play cricket and are dedicated to the game.

It's extremely hectic and kills you inside as it shows on Monday or Tuesday when you have to go to work etc. We can easily rest over the weekend and skip few games for the secondary clubs where you could be on roster to play when your first-preference club's game is not clashing, but many don't do, like some of us, we even play that, because one rather play and get tired and enjoy that feeling of having legs tired at the end of the day, than sit and home and regret that "you could have pushed yourself to play another game."

Excellent thread

Highest Level Played: Inter school as such but played lot of gully cricket too lol. Mostly played as an AR 

Batting: Mostly a defensive batsman like Dravid. Can stay at wicket for long period of time. Unfortunately don't have any power game lol

Bowling: Medium pace bowler who could seam a bit. Fast Leg spinner while playing gully cricket lol

Fielding: Very good ground fielder. Catching well least said is better lol. Mostly fielded in the third man, mid on, mid off position. Has a powerful arm which has inflicted run out consistently from such positions :bow:

@zakk @OpeningBatsmangully cricketers apne bare main bhi kuch batao

Edited by flat_wicket_bully

School n college level - Xavier's group. 

Batting (RH) 

Position - Opening and No 3 

Style - accumulator and defensive, not a big hitter. 

Favrt shot- cover drive and nudge n run

Not a walker :no:

BOWLING (RM) 

Medium with slingy action. Struggled with lines, and bowled lot of leg side wides :phehe:

Fielding - good ground fielder, not a great catcher. 

P. S- loves  to sledge :p:

in gully cricket - loves bowling legspin

Edited by OpeningBatsman
9 hours ago, flat_wicket_bully said:

Excellent thread

Highest Level Played: Inter school as such but played lot of gully cricket too lol. Mostly played as an AR 

Batting: Mostly a defensive batsman like Dravid. Can stay at wicket for long period of time. Unfortunately don't have any power game lol

Bowling: Medium pace bowler who could seam a bit. Fast Leg spinner while playing gully cricket lol

Fielding: Very good ground fielder. Catching well least said is better lol. Mostly fielded in the third man, mid on, mid off position. Has a powerful arm which has inflicted run out consistently from such positions :bow:

Saale tera retire hone ka umar hua... Wo b likh deta.. :phehe:1960s me khelta tha na tu.. 

Run out khud ke team wale ko krta tha na tu:phew:

Edited by OpeningBatsman
15 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Thats a typical life we go through in this region who love to play cricket and are dedicated to the game.

It's extremely hectic and kills you inside as it shows on Monday or Tuesday when you have to go to work etc. We can easily rest over the weekend and skip few games for the secondary clubs where you could be on roster to play when your first-preference club's game is not clashing, but many don't do, like some of us, we even play that, because one rather play and get tired and enjoy that feeling of having legs tired at the end of the day, than sit and home and regret that "you could have pushed yourself to play another game."

Haha agreed

also the fact that we live in North America and we barely have 5 months of summer, sitting indoors during the summer weekends make me feel like shooting myself. So I feel like pushing myself and play more than 2 games during summer. 

More than legs, I feel pain on hips and lower back now lol

also I feel so sleepy at work on Monday and Tuesdays because of waking up early for weekend morning games. 

Good thread.  

Batting:  Southpaw opener, strong hitting arc from Fine-leg to Long-on.  Love to square drive and cut, but not really my power zone.  Pretty decent at rotating strike and maintaining momentum, adapting to situations, shot selection etc - opportunistic gap hitter rather than a dominant power hitter.   My team used to bank on me to bat solid, while the other 'hitters' had license to go after the bowling. 

Fielding:  Point was my spot.   95% of the time.   Have had a few 'memorable' dismissals with decent catches and direct hits.  Considered one of the 'better' fielders in the team, probably the top 2 or 3.  Not the strongest throwing arm from the deep, but would go to deep midwicket in some games in the later stages of the game at times.   But usually stay in the in-field.  Made my non-stop sledging more effective.  A bit of notoriety in my team and league for my "chattiness".  Nothing nasty, ever.  But constant needle.  I like to believe, quite creative at times as well ;)  

Bowling:  More of a 'net' or practice bowler, hardly ever bowled in games.   SLA with a bit of turn, very round-arm action, Kedar Jadhav-ish.  Can bowl "bigly" turning chinamen with the hard tennis ball - from almost a wide-ball line outside off to middle stump - always good for a laugh with the noob bats who don't watch the hand.   

Highest Level played:  Played a lot of 'gully' cricket in Bombay growing up.  Played a bit of hardball cricket, but not much.  Moved to the US in the 90s and have played a ton of hard tennis cricket.  Played hard ball league cricket for a season about 10 years ago - I was playing a lot of tennis cricket back then, and was doing quite well, and my batting style is actually better suited for 'season' ball cricket rather than the tennis ball, which really favors the slugger over the timer.   Had a decent season, but then got a bad knee injury with an on-field collision going for a catch, in tennis cricket ironically, and thus endeth my 'hard' ball cricket aspirations.   Still play tennis cricket, but that has tapered off in the last year or so after moving away from my team and 'home' ground, and the birth of my daughter.  Thinking of resuming next year, really miss it quite badly.  

On 7/17/2017 at 3:37 PM, rahulrulezz said:

Cricket is my passion.. I play hard ball cricket for about 7 clubs in different leagues and cities

Highest level : Play club/grade cricked all around Canada and have played against Canadian players, expat players, retired Ranji guys, against kids coming from u-19 Indian Pakistan and Srilanka national teams...

Role... I used to be a bowling allrounder but in last 3 years, my batting has improved so drastically that in all my 7 clubs,  I have become more of a genuine allrounder who bats 2 down and open the bowling... This season, I have been the highest scorer and highest wickettaker for most of my clubs..

Batting: I play both t20 and 50 over format, so I can bat according to the situation.. for example, this past weekend, I scored 39 of 16 balls in the t20 match in the morning, and on the same day, scored 36* of 85 balls in a low scoring chase in the 50 over format(won by 2 wickets)...But I have put lots of effort in my batting in the indoor nets for last 5 years and thats the reason, I have become very consistent scorer for my clubs.. 

Bowling: I can bowl some serious pace though I do feel my pace has gone down in last year as I play for 7 different clubs (upto 3 hard ball matches over a weekend) and usually drain my body....I bowl a bit like Malinga and on good days, I can outswing some bowls like crazy.. if I am not getting swing, then I try to go all out on pace..

Fielding: Ok fielder, rarely dive, slow ground fielder, very strong arm. However a very safe catcher..I am bit muscular so I am slightly slow for the ground fielding :cantstop: . I guess weekly fielding drills my 50 over club team does has really helped me in becoming more agile and quick on the feeet..  In two of my teams where I captain, I hide myself at Square leg :cantstop: but for other clubs, they tend to put me on long on long off because of my strong arm ( I hate it though)

Overall, I am a pretty good cricketer who has worked really hard on his cricket in last 5 years, and can call myself a genuine allrounder (I seriously bowl faster than Binny)

I have a lot of friends who've played for Ottawa and down in Toronto , what division and club do you play for ?

On 7/18/2017 at 9:46 AM, flat_wicket_bully said:

Excellent thread

ye bhi bata dete ki har jagah per 12th man hi huwa karte the :phehe:

rahne do yaar, mai agar apne baare me likhne lag gaya to jagah kam padhjayegi :laugh:

On 7/18/2017 at 7:26 PM, OpeningBatsman said:

School n college level - Xavier's group. 

Batting (RH) 

Position - Opening and No 3 

Style - accumulator and defensive, not a big hitter. 

Favrt shot- cover drive and nudge n run

Not a walker :no:

BOWLING (RM) 

Medium with slingy action. Struggled with lines, and bowled lot of leg side wides :phehe:

Fielding - good ground fielder, not a great catcher. 

P. S- loves  to sledge :p:

in gully cricket - loves bowling legspin

kuch bhi :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: