How did Bhuvneshwar Kumar survive this long in one-day setup?

Lannister

32 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's quite a swing of the pendulum in terms of your opinion on Shardul.  You were quite high on him after the 1st game.

Actually, I said the following after his first game 

"  I would like to watch him in a few international matches before forming a more complete opinion.

After seeing him in FC, A-tours and the IPL ..... my impression is .....

He is a skillful bowler .... can bowl  quick in some spells, hits the deck hard often enough, has a natural outswinger, can seam the ball, has a good bouncer, can bowl yorkers, can reverse the ball ..... has shown wicket-taking ability on two A tours, in practice matches against SA and in FC and List A matches.

His issues are .... he may lack stamina and his quicker balls are usually bouncers and yorkers .... he needs to learn to bowl quick good-length balls.  "  

He did have a poor 2nd game, and agree about his height issue etc.  To me, he's the next Dhaval Kulkarni type, until he proves otherwise.  I didn't find his performance that impressive in the 1st game to begin with.

I  was not talking about his performances in ODIs  but his bowling type.  He has a good bouncer and yorker, can bowl quick sometimes BUT his good-length stock delivery ( which he will use the most )   often looks very innocuous and he does not always get it through. 

I think his peak spells are much better than Dhawal, but his average spells maybe similar.

Edited by express bowling
11 hours ago, express bowling said:

Nagarkoti made his List A debut this year.

Has picked up 9 wickets from 6 List-A  matches.

Plays for India U19 and runs through sides regularly.  Has picked up a 10-fer in a youth test recently.

Can bowl upto 90 mph.

Is handy with the bat.  Can become a bowling all-rounder.

Looks Agaresque...sharp but the poor quality pitch and that God awful technique of those batsmen still leaves some ???? 

Anyone good old enough to bowl at international level will look sharp to the naked eye...I mean put Ganguly's medium pace against a batsman with 0 technique it will look like an unplayable 150k delivery.

Hope he is really good though but that video doesn't indicate anything unfortunately 

Bhuvi's stats are surprisingly decent...way better than I expected given that he has played some of the games on 300+ wickets.

Shami has to be our premier bowler though, Bumrah and Bhuvi but then we have a problem of accommodating Pandya who is a must in the modern LOI game...wish one of our batsmen were atleast in the Sehwag/Yuvraj/Sachin level with the ball.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

wish one of our batsmen were atleast in the Sehwag/Yuvraj/Sachin level with the ball.

Pandya can be that guy - he's our future #6 bat who will bowl 5-6 overs in ODIs.  But he needs to keep improving his batting to be a long-term fixture in the team.  

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Looks Agaresque...sharp but the poor quality pitch and that God awful technique of those batsmen still leaves some ???? 

Anyone good old enough to bowl at international level will look sharp to the naked eye...I mean put Ganguly's medium pace against a batsman with 0 technique it will look like an unplayable 150k delivery.

Nagarkoti bowled in an U19 ODI match recently where there were speed guns. That match was shown on TV and streamed on hotstar.

We saw a fastest of 89 mph or 143.2  kph.  The commentators said that he touched 90 mph or 144.8 kph.  And he was bowling lots of 86 mph to 88 mph deliveries  ( 138 k to 142 k range )   This from a 17 year old.

Hope he is really good though but that video doesn't indicate anything unfortunately 

While exact speeds are not discernible by watching videos,   videos showcase the run-up,  the bowling action and the  skiddiness or bounciness of pacers.

Nagarkoti has a good run-up, a strong action and is very skiddy.  He gets  bounce when he tries to.

The videos also showcase his ability to bowl multiple, accurate, stump-directed deliveries and thereby, they reveal his bowling style to some extent.

Edited by express bowling
7 hours ago, sandeep said:

Pandya can be that guy - he's our future #6 bat who will bowl 5-6 overs in ODIs.  But he needs to keep improving his batting to be a long-term fixture in the team.  

Kedar is already better and similar to he is talking of. Pandya is an allrounder.

Edited by Pollack

Best bowler of India. Yes better line and length and more consistent and fitter than both Bumrah and Shami.

Bumrah was the best earlier but Bhuvi has taken over in recent months. Bhuvi has more control in his bowlig than anyone to have come from India in a long time. 

And with his batting improving, he will become a brilliant ODI player for us. 

2019wc player of the tournament.

5 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Best bowler of India. Yes better line and length and more consistent and fitter than both Bumrah and Shami.

Bumrah was the best earlier but Bhuvi has taken over in recent months. Bhuvi has more control in his bowlig than anyone to have come from India in a long time. 

And with his batting improving, he will become a brilliant ODI player for us. 

2019wc player of the tournament.

Let's be fair about this - Bumrah has much more control and has been easily the best limited overs bowler in Indian set-up for the past 6 months. One night of under-performance does not make him worse than Bhuvi. Bhuvi was fantastic tonight though and showed us a glimpse of the old days with the big swinging unplayable deliveries :)

Hope this puts an end to the debate about the no.2 Indian seamer for limited overs cricket. At least for a while.

18 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Let's be fair about this - Bumrah has much more control and has been easily the best limited overs bowler in Indian set-up for the past 6 months. One night of under-performance does not make him worse than Bhuvi. Bhuvi was fantastic tonight though and showed us a glimpse of the old days with the big swinging unplayable deliveries :)

Hope this puts an end to the debate about the no.2 Indian seamer for limited overs cricket. At least for a while.

Agree 100%.  Bhuvi has a magical ability to make the ball talk that Bumrah doesn't. But Bumrah's bowling nous is just so advanced for a guy of his age and experience.   He's allowed to have a bad day once in a while.   If Bhuvi was able to mix up his lines and length as well and as smartly as Bumrah does, he would be running rampant like this far more often.  

31 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Yes, Bumrah is a top bowler and someone I would play every game.

Both need to be rotated well with other upcoming seamers so we have both Bhuvi and Bumrah available and fit for these important series like the one going on against Australia.

For example, Lanka is coming home again and we can choose to rest either of them or rotate them then. 

I am  happy that we have 3 good ODI pacers in Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi

Each have their strengths and weaknesses but are providing us with a good pool of ODI pacers

And having this pool is important .... to cover for injuries, form, different playing conditions, rotation etc.

We need another good, wicket-taking pacer to make it a pool of 4.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

I am  happy that we have 3 good ODI pacers in Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi

Each have their strengths and weaknesses but are providing us with a good pool of ODI pacers

And having this pool is important .... to cover for injuries, form, different playing conditions, rotation etc.

We need another good, wicket-taking pacer to make it a pool of 4.

Shami needs to get more games but I can't see that happening now unless we win the next match. Damn such a shame:argh:

40 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Bhuvi has a magical ability to make the ball talk that Bumrah doesn't.  

Bumrah's ability to move the ball both ways is improving too.

Today, we saw both Bhuvi and Bumrah move it both ways in the first ten overs.  Bumrah bowled quite a few jaffas too, there were plays and misses  and 2 edges went for fours.  But today was not his day.

A reverse thing happened in SL .... both Bumrah and Bhuvi moved the new ball but that was Bumrah's day.

As they say, you have to have the rub of the green.    : )

And this is why a good bowling partnership matters.