Shreyas iyer- terrible technique

cowboysfan

Nair who scored a 300 looked clueless against Starc...Jadhav doesn’t look comfortable facing anything over 135k....Pandey too doesn’t look way too free flowing against pace.

Usually the guys who look to have that extra time against pace bowling are the ones who go on to become become big time cricketers...we saw it with Rohit and Kohli at a young age...even with Rahane to be fair and also in recent times to some extent Rahul.

So have to see how Iyer does when he faces likes of Rabada,Starc etc etc.

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

Nair who scored a 300 looked clueless against Starc...Jadhav doesn’t look comfortable facing anything over 135k....Pandey too doesn’t look way too free flowing against pace.

Usually the guys who look to have that extra time against pace bowling are the ones who go on to become become big time cricketers...we saw it with Rohit and Kohli at a young age...even with Rahane to be fair and also in recent times to some extent Rahul.

Rahul seems to have lots of time......he has quality written all over him....just needs to stop throwing away his wicket....Way better than rohit....

2 hours ago, speedheat said:

Brilliant knock today, alredy looked better than jadav,manish and rahane, played spinners really well and  what I liked today is his urgency for singles, he will always have kohli on the other end who also likes the same, so kohli and shreyas partnership can be superhit, we should stick with this guy even if he fail against quality attacks, he needs Rohit type backing and good results will follow.

Manish is better than him at this point of time......

Manish needs a big innings against his belt....he is a match winner...esp when your back is against the wall

51 minutes ago, maniac said:

He played Dale Steyn easily in his debut IPL season.

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He played Dale Steyn easily in his debut IPL season.

Will he be in the squad and playing 11 versus SA in SA (ODIs) ? If so, we can actually check him out. But not sure he will fly out for SA tour? (Unless selectors decide to replace one of the existing batsman in the squad).

Lots of pluses for Iyer. Powerful strokes, good running between the wickets, does not get bogged down etc.

But, the " moving away from the stumps "  style, that he uses time and again , worries me.   May land him in trouble against genuine quicks or on fast pitches.  I hope he uses it only when acceleration is needed.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Lots of pluses for Iyer. Powerful strokes, good running between the wickets, does not get bogged down etc.

But, the " moving away from the stumps "  style, that he uses time and again , worries me.   May land him in trouble against genuine quicks or on fast pitches.  I hope he uses it only when acceleration is needed.

He is far from finished article . But lots of good signs . Mentally good to do what did today 

the hope is given a good run in team . Will develop and rectify areas of concern and become an atg lol

Raul 4 and him 5 could be brilliant middle order as our top 3 are match winners 

8 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

He is far from finished article . But lots of good signs . Mentally good to do what did today 

the hope is given a good run in team . Will develop and rectify areas of concern and become an atg lol

Raul 4 and him 5 could be brilliant middle order as our top 3 are match winners 

Saw Iyer bat in a Ranji match in 2015-16. He was moving away from the stumps to play strokes and had difficulty facing the bounce of Unadkat 

Saw him next year not moving away and playing well.

Saw him bat a few months back in SA  .... not moving away and tackled the bounce and off-stump deliveries of SA quicks well.

IMHO, he becomes a much better all-condition batter when not moving away to hit.

10 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

On this track today will get much better idea on iyer 

ps 90per cent of people in this thread were clamouring for new blood and pimpming iyer . Now seen him play saying set up and technique not good enough . Why didnt you watch him play before pimping him and hailing him as new bradman ?:giggle:

On a similar kind of pitch how much Virat, Rohit , Dhawan have scored in last 2 years . These are alleged to be word's best. 

Not saying Iyer is way better than them . Too rash and too many shots in air. Need to work on defence also.

But on a averagly good pitch , which is what we get these days , he should do reasonably well. 

This is where exposure  shows up chinks in thier game  like in the case of Siraj . Thats good .  They will work on it after this             exposure and get better . 

i always knew of shreyas Talent as he was one who played unselfish innings and was even criticised to throw away his wicket..even now he has to get his defence a little stronger as he is playing like Kedar who is equally talented but he has shot himself on his foot..his performance as a batsman has been BAD and that's not acceptable.

Manish is also very talented and actually i consider all the three equally good ..lets see who grabs the opportunity..seems Kedar is already out of favour as Washington has faired OK with the Ball and is coming out as a genuine Spinning allrounder.

But i am sure that axar patel who always had all round skills but now is just a Bowler..he will be thrown out by washington soon. 

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I was happy that he played unselfishly. Also looks like a good fielder, may be already a better prospect than Jadhav?

Yes jadhav has good batting skills but more suited to 90s . As poor fitness meant poor runner between wickets and poor fielder 

iyer is proper new gen like kohli . Running quick , grabbing every single available . Athletic in field etc plus of course skilled bat . Manipulated spinners great to hit gaps and scamper singles . And gears to up tempo and hit boundaries 

bigger tests for iyer but today showed could be great number 5 to get on with it from ball 1 . Got to 30 of like 30 balls so no slow start and slowly build 

needs good run to see more imo 

Definitely better than Jadhav. However, considering the hype he was getting, especially on PP by a lot of Indian posters ,I was left overwhelmed after watching him for the first time yesterday.

He plays with hard hands, doesn’t judge length quickly and the footwork isn’t great either. Seems to make do with the flaws in technique and lack of natural ability with his hand-eye coordination, which will allow him to make-do against mediocre attacks, but the early signs suggest he won’t  have quite the same success against the likes of SA, AUS etc.

Edited by Ellipsism
59 minutes ago, Ellipsism said:

Definitely better than Jadhav. However, considering the hype he was getting, especially on PP by a lot of Indian posters ,I was left overwhelmed after watching him for the first time yesterday.

He plays with hard hands, doesn’t judge length quickly and the footwork isn’t great either. Seems to make do with the flaws in technique and lack of natural ability with his hand-eye coordination, which will allow him to make-do against mediocre attacks, but the early signs suggest he won’t  have quite the same success against the likes of SA, AUS etc.

did you see him play in dharamshala it was proper akmalesque innings near ATG levels for pak batting.

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

He also seems to have this problem of planting his front-foot too early across the stumps and then playing around it. Could become an lbw candidate on pitches that help movement. These new gen players are conditioned to play on flat tracks. Since most limited over matches happen on flat tracks they are safe as well.