Holding: Kohli not great until he scores runs in England

saik

It is very difficult to adjust the game at that level. French Open is a total nuisance because clay courts are a mess. It really slows down the power hitters as balls slow down. People who play on clay will always have more advantage. Spaniards also have opportunity to play on tha clay so they do well. Australian and US open are really about brute force and speeds. Totally different styley. Hardcourts are a totally different issue and they mess your body real bad. Ball comes real fast and court temps are out of control. Throw in the sun and some humidity you need a different type of athlete.

6 hours ago, mishra said:

Exception cant be rule

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

During Sampras' time variance from USO/AO/SW19 to RG was much much greater than what we have in cricket today. It was practically unheard of to have all court dominance in the 90s. But in cricket you have a few players who do well across conditions. 

4 hours ago, maniac said:

Pakistan team did well in England last time and credit where due they were really prepared for that series....when even PCB gets it right over you than you have a massive problem.

Hooefully we will learn from our mistakes from this tour.

I expect Kohli to do real well this England series.

Pakistan did well against a real pathetic English team.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

During Sampras' time variance from USO/AO/SW19 to RG was much much greater than what we have in cricket today. It was practically unheard of to have all court dominance in the 90s. But in cricket you have a few players who do well across conditions. 

Surfaces are so different in tennis.

Virat in his debut test series scored 75 in Westindies (2011) in 3 Test with high score of 25 

than in his first series in eng,in 2014 he did slightly better with 145 in 3 Test with high score of 39

he shuts his critics with 6 scores of 150 plus as captain of India so I assumes he will scores heavily in July/ aug in England 

5 innings out of 10 Of the series.

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

McEnroe, no French , Australian

Connors  no French 

Borg no Australian , US

Lendl  no  Wimbledon

All considered as greats 

I do not follow tennis, but if I am not wrong I'm assuming McEnroe to be very good on grass courts.

So McEnroe was like Dravid and relied more on timing the ball and Lendl relied more on raw strength being a champ on clay and hard courts.

10 hours ago, MechEng said:

I do not follow tennis, but if I am not wrong I'm assuming McEnroe to be very good on grass courts.

So McEnroe was like Dravid and relied more on timing the ball and Lendl relied more on raw strength being a champ on clay and hard courts.

McEnroe had a very good net game. He could follow through on his serve and get to the net and backed with amazing reflexes. He was not a power player like Sampras or Courier who could grind it out from the baseline all day long.

Grass courts allow you to charge to the net little bit better but not so much in US open.

I dont follow tennis either anymore. No time.

Edited by Khota
12 hours ago, Khota said:

It is very difficult to adjust the game at that level. French Open is a total nuisance because clay courts are a mess. It really slows down the power hitters as balls slow down. People who play on clay will always have more advantage. Spaniards also have opportunity to play on tha clay so they do well. Australian and US open are really about brute force and speeds. Totally different styley. Hardcourts are a totally different issue and they mess your body real bad. Ball comes real fast and court temps are out of control. Throw in the sun and some humidity you need a different type of athlete.

Those greats have won things. Been best in world. What have Kohli won?

From the article

"Virat Kohli is a fantastic batsman. I was asked to name three top cricketers and I included Kohli in that list," Holding told the Mumbai Mirror. 

"He is a very, very good player. When I see him score runs in England, I would call him a great player. I like people who score runs everywhere. He is an extremely good player.

"The three cricketers I think are the best now are Joe Root, Virat Kohli and Steve Smith. AB de Villiers has just come back into Test cricket and let's see how he does. I don't want to include him yet in that list."

Can some of you guys stop whining for a change? Holding hasn't disrespected Kohli anywhere. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, express bowling said:

Bowling average of 48 and SR of 112 was very pathetic in the 1970s and '80s

One thing is ... one series is not sufficient to judge any player ... a bad habit creeps in and there is not sufficient time to rectify it, especially these days with packed schedules.

The other thing is ... Holding just finds faults with Indians and is highly biased against us.

how many matches they played there again ?

And one of those series was pivotal in ICC even starting the discussion on neutral umpires, when the NZ umpires kept ruling not out to 1st slip catches.

I agree with Holding. Virat is not a great till he can have atleast ONE successful series in England, provided he plays enough there.

Ponting for eg, had atleast 1 decent series in India. 

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

how many matches they played there again ?

And one of those series was pivotal in ICC even starting the discussion on neutral umpires, when the NZ umpires kept ruling not out to 1st slip catches.

I agree with Holding. Virat is not a great till he can have atleast ONE successful series in England, provided he plays enough there.

Ponting for eg, had atleast 1 decent series in India. 

Spot on. Glad that you mentioned, that was probably the most biased umpiring in a series. 

On 22/01/2018 at 10:14 AM, express bowling said:

Ponting has a batting average of 26.5 in India.

Lara has a batting average of 33 in India.

Richards has a batting average of 19.3 in NZ.

Root has a batting average of 17.6  in NZ and 24.5 in Bangladesh.

Roberts has a bowling average of 65.3  in NZ.

Greenidge has a batting average of 17.3 in Pakistan.

Steve Waugh has a batting average of 16.6 in SL.

etc.  etc.

What does Holding think about that   ?

Exactly someone send this to holding and tell him to stfu 

particularly nasty hate filled stuff by holding considering kohli just scored glorious 150 in last test in sa .

pathetic from holding . Another Uncle Tom like bucknor 

5 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

May be you haven't watched his commentary. He's totally biased against Indians. May be we read between lines, but it's the posters' reaction to his outright bias.

I have called out his biased commentary many times on this forum, but he is getting unnecessary flak here, he hasn't disrespected Kohli at all. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

I have called out his biased commentary many times on this forum, but he is getting unnecessary flak here, he hasn't disrespected Kohli at all. 

What he said was pathetic. So many great players have anomalies in record in one country or so . Express bowling summed it up ., so many greats not great if go by holding yardstick including Himslef 

sad Uncle Tom 

7 minutes ago, goose said:

Holding on commentary just now saying Kohli's demeanour reminds him of Viv Richards. 

Cos he made a twat of himself and knows it . Would never say such a thing against a gora bat as Uncle tom

no doubt some used same yardstick against some of his former team mates and himself to show they also not greats then . So running for cover now . Twat