Indian Test openers for ENG tour ?

fineleg

4 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

It is going to be hard even for experienced batsmen , a very young opening bat with no test experience will be targeted and his confidence could be shattered, better to blood him on batter friendly pitches in India and hope he can get off to a flyer. 

Genius plan? It's an opinion I am not  Indian selector :aha:

Thank you. That takes me back to my first point. We played Rohit vs Windies, he got off to a flyer and it served nothing in the long run...probably caused more damage as those performances gave Rohit and people false hope that he could succeed at test level. Compared to Sachin/Sourav/Rahane who we blooded into tough overseas tours quite early on in their test careers. Hiding people away from tough test cricket achieves nothing in the long run. 

2 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Thank you. That takes me back to my first point. We played Rohit vs Windies, he got off to a flyer and it served nothing in the long run...probably caused more damage as those performances gave Rohit and people false hope that he could succeed at test level. Compared to Sachin/Sourav/Rahane who we blooded into tough overseas tours quite early on in their test careers. Hiding people away from tough test cricket achieves nothing in the long run. 

Sachin/ Sourav / Rahane were not openers in England conditions.

It's not that Rohit has failed it's because he keeps being picked whist performances  are average. That's a selection problem not the fact he made his debut against West Indies . Not everyone selected for test cricket goes onto be " ATG" 

Am losing patience with KL , I know its been fair with selections ..but hes been at fault being out due to injuries on couple of instances and not cashing on when in form and three failures on a trot is not acceptable , I would give him 2-3 more tests and if he does not turn it around try some one like Shaw .

For England , I would still go with VJ , KL and Shaw ..irrespective of how VJ and KL do , Dhawan should be no where near the test team , but I have a feeling he will again start as first choice opener in Eng .

11 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Sachin/ Sourav / Rahane were not openers in England conditions.

It's not that Rohit has failed it's because he keeps being picked whist performances  are average. That's a selection problem not the fact he made his debut against West Indies . Not everyone selected for test cricket goes onto be " ATG" 

Ok, so special rule for openers. Makes sense...

31 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Don't go by what is going on here. It would have sent most openers around the world packing. I think Dhawan may bat instead of Rahul given that English pitches are not known for bounce as much as SA or OZ.  

I agree with you completely regarding wickets like first test in Cape Town, but centurion and this test was a poor show by the openers. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Give Raul a 5 test stretch, no point otherwise, judging him on a green top while Dhawan beats the **** out of hapless Sri Lankas in India. He should come good in the second innings. Vijsy is worrying, his hand eye is aging,  I suppose.

Will Rahul stay injury free for 5 tests though?  As of now, odds are quite low on that.   

Question is really about the 3rd opener for the squad for England.  Chepu and Parthiv have done just enough to maintain their slots as #3 and spare 'keeper I think.   Jokes and fantasies aside, I think 2018 summer would be a bit too early to blood Prithvi Shaw.   But his time is bound to come in a couple of years.