Why hasn't Bengal produced many quality international cricketers?

3 hours ago, maniac said:

How is Ojha a bengal cricketer? 

Born in Orissa and played cricket for Hyderabad till a couple of seasons back

Yeah I was like did Indians not follow cricket at all in early stages in 2005-2010z

Ojha is more Hyderabad cricketer than Bengal.

Its like calling Jaffer a domestic legend from Vidarbha. He can’t. He is always from Mumbai.

That is why threads and posts that pop up with general lack of awareness pisses me off.

Mary Kom absolutely deserves of a Biopic...how it was made is a different debate.

Similarly the Dangal movie deserves to get made... absolutely, women wrestling in our culture needs to be a social message that needs to be highlighted.

However no one remembers Karanam Malleswari who won a Olympic medal in weightlifting, an Indian woman winning an Olympic medal in weightlifting can you imagine that? But the stereotype is Azhar and Laxman have a lazy elegance to their batting so AP is the most lazy state lol and because there are a lot of folks in IT,everyone wants a VISA...wanting an American Visa applies to every one outside of America lol...if someone don’t know something learn or shut the hell up but don’t spout ignorance on here.

Similarly guys like Gopichand don’t have a single thread about contribution when they put their blood sweat and tears to produce Olympic champions,same goes for all the wrestling and boxing coaches in India.

No one even knows the name  Tushar Arothe but people are going in convulsions about Rahul Dravid who gets paid 6 crores to do his job where only thing is he did his  do his job well .

No wonder people are not motivated in our country to do selfless service.

24 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We have started picking cricketers from all over India, only in the last 15 years or so.  Before that, 85% to  90% of Indian cricketers were from 3 or 4 states, and Bengal was not one of them.  That is one of the reasons for so few cricketers from Bengal.  It is a mystery to me how Utpal Chatterjee missed out  !  And Ranadeb Bose had potential too.

Just look at the fast bowling talent emerging from Rajasthan and Kerala nowadays ... but how many players have emerged from that region in the past  ?  Similar logic applies to UP, Gujarat and Jharkhand .  

From now on,  I hope we focus on picking the best talent in India ... ignoring any kind of regional bias.

Good post Express.

And @Gollum class post that.

Have known many Bengalis over the years and their soccer following and talent is amazing.

We also were lucky to have a lot of them on our ICF and they were the ones who kept ICF active 10 years ago back in 2008. Our Other Sports section which you can see isn’t extremely active recently barring odd Tennis threads, was lit up by them with amazing discussions back in the days.

27 minutes ago, maniac said:

That is why threads and posts that pop up with general lack of awareness pisses me off.

Mary Kom absolutely deserves of a Biopic...how it was made is a different debate.

Similarly the Dangal movie deserves to get made... absolutely, women wrestling in our culture needs to be a social message that needs to be highlighted.

However no one remembers Karanam Malleswari who won a Olympic medal in weightlifting, an Indian woman winning an Olympic medal in weightlifting can you imagine that? But the stereotype is Azhar and Laxman have a lazy elegance to their batting so AP is the most lazy state lol and because there are a lot of folks in IT,everyone wants a VISA...wanting an American Visa applies to every one outside of America lol...if someone don’t know something learn or shut the hell up but don’t spout ignorance on here.

Similarly guys like Gopichand don’t have a single thread about contribution when they put their blood sweat and tears to produce Olympic champions,same goes for all the wrestling and boxing coaches in India.

No one even knows the name  Tushar Arothe but people are going in convulsions about Rahul Dravid who gets paid 6 crores to do his job where only thing is he did his  do his job well .

No wonder people are not motivated in our country to do selfless service.

our media is to blame to a great degree. They spread these stereotypes

Take Rohit who has come through the Mumbai system but hails from Vizag

Rohit Sharma: Journey From Being a Boy With 'Lazy Elegance' to an ODI Colossus

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/opinion-rohit-sharma-journey-from-being-a-boy-with-lazy-elegance-to-an-odi-colossus-1604029.html

So its not just people who come through the AP system. Anybody of Telegu ethnicity is apparently has a "lazy elegance"

21 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Dinda’s main aim in life was to get some boom boom action with the gori I-Pee-L cheerleaders. Since that has been accomplished, what’s the big deal about playing for the Indian team? :bow:

so, he was into afridi then? :giggle:

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Yeah... badminton doesn’t count right?

cricket is not the only sport

only South Indian state-to have 2 Olympic medalists badminton and weightlifting 

also there is a good culture of Kabaddi,volleyball and basketball 

next time i suggest doing some reading or thinking before spouting nonsense

I am referring to Andhra specifically. Get some GK to know difference between andhra and telangana

6 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

I am referring to Andhra specifically. Get some GK to know difference between andhra and telangana

Do you know which state Karanam Malleswari is from? 

Saina Nehwal trained in Gopichand academy before Telangana formation and so did Sindhu and the academy got some help for  its funds from AP govt.

You probably felt very smart when you thought of that comeback but it’s not about the specifics of AP and Telangana we are talking about here but don’t think you understand that.

Edited by maniac
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Saina Nehwal trained in Gopichand academy before Telangana formation and so did Sindhu and the academy got some help for  its funds from AP govt.

You probably felt very smart when you thought of that comeback but it’s not about the specifics of AP and Telangana we are talking about here but don’t think you understand that.

true. moreover sindhu's background is andhra although she grew up in hyd.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

So how many cricketers has Andhra produced in the last 50 years barring msk prasad? Malleswari and couple of chess players.. that's it.

Just now, Vijy said:

true. moreover sindhu's background is andhra although she grew up in hyd.

It’s not even about ethnicity...Look at Saina Nehwal she is from Haryana but the very fact that her family moved to Hyderabad to get the best coaching facilities for badminton shows that there is a strong culture and history for that sport there...my comment was at those people who probably have never left their house or opened a geography text book after 5th standard 

1 minute ago, Vk1 said:

So how many cricketers has Andhra produced in the last 50 years barring msk prasad? Malleswari and couple of chess players.. that's it.

The point here is not about the failure of cricketing structure of AP and Telangana producing cricketers,the problem was with the dumb Moronic stereotype.

by the way just for the sake of throwing out names guess where are our current chief selector is from or Ambati Rayudu...sure they may not be world beaters but that has nothing to do with them running after American visas....do you transfer what you hear in the kitchen of what housewives say and transfer that on to the forum?

I can list you enough sportsperson from AP or if you want to say Telangana....obviously sporting culture in India as a whole is not that great with the prime focus being on education,so not sure what is the point you are trying to prove.

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

The point here is not about the failure of cricketing structure of AP and Telangana producing cricketers,the problem was with the dumb Moronic stereotype.

by the way just for the sake of throwing out names guess where are our current chief selector is from or Ambati Rayudu...sure they may not be world beaters but that has nothing to do with them running after American visas....do you transfer what you hear in the kitchen of what housewives say and transfer that on to the forum?

I can list you enough sportsperson from AP or if you want to say Telangana....obviously sporting culture in India as a whole is not that great with the prime focus being on education,so not sure what is the point you are trying to prove.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to comprehend that. Young Andhraites in particular have academic ambitions driven by parents and society. There are millions of families who can afford expensive cricket coaching but they would rather spend that on IIT coaching.

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

i think the poster is basically trying to say that much of the blame of ind's sub-par performances in sports rests on andhra and telangana [clearly has an axe to grind]. taken as a whole, i think these 2 states have done fairly well in chess, basminton and cricket to a lesser degree [which is more than what one can say about many, but obviously not all, states in the country]

Edited by Vijy
8 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to comprehend that. Young Andhraites in particular have academic ambitions driven by parents and society. There are millions of families who can afford expensive cricket coaching but they would rather spend that on IIT coaching.

You think that is a problem only with Andhra?

You said there was 0 sporting culture in Andhra-I showed you the world class young badminton talent Gopichand academy is producing.

Then you skirted around saying that it is now in Telangana- 

I pointed out   that when it was established it did have Andhra govt support but regardless  and kids have been training there and we have an elite core of badminton players coming up.

Now tell me did I miss i something? Why is this helicopter parenting and IIT coaching only subjective to Andhra,it’s a problem all over India.

Yes, from a cricket perspective Andhra has never been a powerhouse....Hyderabad sure used to be but even that is screwed because of politics and not because of the stereotype you said.

We all ore guilty of saying stupid racial and socially inappropriate dumb stuff all the time...just admit and move on.

Edited by maniac

In my all time Indian test XI I will have Saha as the keeper. In my all time Indian women's team (any format) Jhulan Goswami will be my 1st name. Dada will be in the reckoning in all time ODI XI although I doubt he will get in the 1st XI. Anyway I am quite satisfied with the achievements of Bengal cricket considering the relative lack of interest for the game there. I won't be surprised if Shami becomes an Indian ATG and no he is a product of Bengal now, he moved there as a 19 year old and learnt the trick of the trade there, he owes everything to Mohun Bagan and CAB. 

And w.r.t Andhra even forgetting the flawed arguments like Telengana split or Hyderabad breakaway......Andhra is our badminton capital. Gopichand is from the Andhra region and he is the guru of Indian badminton. Without him there would be no Saina, Sindhu, Srikanth, Kashyap, Prannoy, Sai Praneeth.....even allowing the flawed arguments about Telengana-Hyderabad or Saina's place of birth majority of these stars are from modern day Andhra and that's all that matters. If we have an Irani cup style match up between Andhra and rest of India in badminton, I will place my bets on Andhra. We are a badminton superpower because of Andhra, we are where we are because of Gopichand, never forget the contribution of this great man.