Who should open with SRT in All time Indian ODI XI?

Who should open with Sachin in All Time Indian ODI XI  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who should open with Sachin in All Time Indian ODI XI

• "Gabbar" Dhawan
    • "Viru" Sehwag
    • "Dada" Saurav
    • "Hitman" Rohit
    • First of all "God" Sachin shouldn't open, he should be at no.4
    • Gambhir...

The real competition is only between Ganguly and Sehwag. As far as I see it, Sehwag may not have had a great career in ODI, the kind of impact he had on the opposition was tremendous. Btw, we are assuming an ideal situation both Sachin and Sehwag are in their prime form. 

If not Sehwag, going with the best openers in the history of the game, ie Ganguly and Sachin is obvious. Thinking Rohit or Dhawan to be ahead of either of them is outright hilarious!

15 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

The real competition is only between Ganguly and Sehwag. As far as I see it, Sehwag may not have had a great career in ODI, the kind of impact he had on the opposition was tremendous. Btw, we are assuming an ideal situation both Sachin and Sehwag are in their prime form. 

If not Sehwag, going with the best openers in the history of the game, ie Ganguly and Sachin is obvious. Thinking Rohit or Dhawan to be ahead of either of them is outright hilarious!

Sehwag has an average record in ODIs. In tests, he opens with SMG.  In ODIs, both Ganguly and Dhawan have a valid case.  If we are talking about ODIs with 90s rules, then its Ganguly.  But people forget that Ganguly was an extremely poor rotator of strike, and terribly slow starter in ODIs.   Dhawan, to his credit, has achieved impressive individual statistics, while batting extremely unselfishly.  Especially because his opening partner, Rohit, is quite Ganguly-esque in his slow starts as well.  Leaving the burden of scoring momentum in the initial powerplay primarily on Mr. thighFive.  

If you look just at stats , they're quite meaningless. Two new balls and the modern ODI rules actually favour openers. Why do you think we have the likes of Roy,Hales,Warner, Rohit,Dhawan etc. striking around 100 in ODIs after 2015. The white ball used to swing more earlier because it was of s superior quality. The white kookaburra ball used now is inferior and we have two of them which means it's easier to hit through the line since they remain harder for longer without any real lateral movement. 35/104 stats of Sehwag in an era of only 1 white superior kookaburra ball was worth its weight in gold even if he underacheived somewhat. Sachin/Sehwag combo were probably the fastest of the time in which they played ahead of even Hayden /Gilchrist for impact. Rohit/Dhawan don't have the impact of Hales/Roy as a combo or even the individual impact or a QDK have. 

Good poll, it's something I've often wondered about

Sehwag can play as a pinch hitting opener even brisk 30 will be useful

Between Rohit and Ganguly for me and I'd go for Saurav just, given his Atg odi record. Only argument against is his SR but for the era he played in it was good. Dravid gets unfair stick, at his peak his SR too was good for that era

Gambhir would be a good foil for Tendulkar.

I'd go with this all time team

Sachin, Ganguly, Gambhir, Virat, Dravid, Yuvraj, MSD, Kapil, Kumble, Srinath, Zaheer

I'd go with Dhawan because he's a leftie, scores fast, and also turns up for big tournaments. Ganguly would be second pick, partly thanks to his added bowling value.

All-time ODI Ind XI batting would look great: SRT, Dhawan, Kohli, Gambhir/Dravid, Yuvi, Dhoni would be my top 6 followed by Kapil at 7.