Is Dhoni more popular than Sachin ?

velu

12 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

As if Dhoni wasn't booed.....I watched India-NZ T20 match in Chennai(around 2012 or 2013). I remember Chepauk crowd booing Dhoni lol...never thought I would see such a day. Dhoni came in when India were in a comfortable position to win the match and then played a very bad knock, India ended up losing by 1 run.

and then you woke up :phehe:

20 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Dhoni's most of good years have overlapped with SRT's career.

lets judge Dhonis purple patch after he retires .. 

dhoni v2.0 is a different beats altogether

27 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

As if Dhoni wasn't booed.....I watched India-NZ T20 match in Chennai(around 2012 or 2013). I remember Chepauk crowd booing Dhoni lol...never thought I would see such a day. Dhoni came in when India were in a comfortable position to win the match and then played a very bad knock, India ended up losing by 1 run.

Thala has always been NZ's biggest match-winner in T20Is against India :phehe:.

21 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Dhoni's most of good years have overlapped with SRT's career.

Yea they did, but Sachin's best years and nostalgia is mostly because of 90s. Not everyone is still stuck in 90s. After 2000, Sachin was just 1 of the many famous cricketers that India had. Dhoni is more famous currently because he is reverred by most of old and new which Sachin would not and its only fair as younger generations would not care much about Sachin nowadays. In future Dhoni will be replaced by someone else, since we keep on producing awesome players. 

2 hours ago, velu said:

and then you woke up :phehe:

lol no...that was the 2nd international match I have attended in my life and I remember it pretty well 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12417/scorecard/565820/india-vs-new-zealand-2nd-t20i-new-zealand-tour-of-india-2012

And I don't have any reason to lie just to say something negative about MSD. Even though I love Sachin, I like MSD too. I mentioned about that match to cite how fairweather our Indian fans can be at times. Irrespective of how good you were through out your career, a short slump is enough for fans to turn against the player. Be it Sachin or Dhoni or Kohli, it will happen for everyone. I was shocked that day to see Chennai crowd boo MSD

Edited by upriser7

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

lol no...that was the 2nd international match I have attended in my life... http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12417/scorecard/565820/india-vs-new-zealand-2nd-t20i-new-zealand-tour-of-india-2012

And I don't have any reason to lie just to say something negative about MSD. Even though I love Sachin, I like MSD too. I mentioned about that match to cite how fairweather our Indian fans can be at times. Irrespective how good you were through out your career, a short slump is enough for fans to turn against the player. Be it Sachin or Dhoni or Kohli, it will happen for everyone. I was shocked that day to see Chennai crowd boo MSD

video clip or didnt happen :phehe:

chennai cricket fans are the most polite and knowledgable fans and infact they applauded pakistan as well ..  

2 hours ago, Shunya said:

Yea they did, but Sachin's best years and nostalgia is mostly because of 90s. Not everyone is still stuck in 90s. After 2000, Sachin was just 1 of the many famous cricketers that India had. Dhoni is more famous currently because he is reverred by most of old and new which Sachin would not and its only fair as younger generations would not care much about Sachin nowadays. In future Dhoni will be replaced by someone else, since we keep on producing awesome players. 

So what? Sure, in the 90's it was Sachin head and shoulders above the rest,by 2000's we had a ATG team where still Sachin was the nucleus...it is not like by 2000's Sachin was washed up...he was still one of the best in the world.

we feel Dhoni is special because we never had a dynamic Keeper-bat before him for many years...obviously we had Faroqh Engineer and Budhi Kunderan but that was many decades ago...for a brief time,Dhoni was a special player...just like we still have some emotional attachment to Irfan Pathan or Pandya these days because we never had a pace bowling all rounder since Kapil Dev. 

It is unfair to compare Pandya or Pathan to Kumble or even Srinath and Zak...similarly Dhoni is not in Sachin's leage despite he satisfies a niche criteria

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

So what? Sure, in the 90's it was Sachin head and shoulders above the rest,by 2000's we had a ATG team where still Sachin was the nucleus...it is not like by 2000's Sachin was washed up...he was still one of the best in the world.

we feel Dhoni is special because we never had a dynamic Keeper-bat before him for many years...obviously we had Faroqh Engineer and Budhi Kunderan but that was many decades ago...for a brief time,Dhoni was a special player...just like we still have some emotional attachment to Irfan Pathan or Pandya these days because we never had a pace bowling all rounder since Kapil Dev. 

It is unfair to compare Pandya or Pathan to Kumble or even Srinath and Zak...similarly Dhoni is not in Sachin's leage despite he satisfies a niche criteria

Dhoni is still a special player and will always be. He is a trendsetter of modern-day keeper-bat for Indian cricket. And overall his impact to the team is visible from the way players speak of him. 

Agreed, Dhoni is not in sachin's league as pure batsman, but in all other leagues Sachin is nowhere near Dhoni. Dhoni as a package is way more than what Sachin was. And as mentioned earlier, after 2000 our team itself was great and we had far bigger match-winners apart from Sachin, so Indian fans always had options to follow/admire other players and they proudly did it except few lots who were stuck in 90s. 

And this thread was about Dhoni being more famous or popular than Sachin. Its very much visible to anyone who watches cricket, crowds all over India are in awe of Dhoni and rightly love him more than Sachin IMO. Maybe it is because of more young crowd or just more penetration due to T20/IPL cricket- whatever the case be, he just gets the biggest pops ever everytime he enters to bat - regardless of the team, venue, etc. 

22 minutes ago, kira said:

:hysterical::hysterical: Dhoni isn't even more popular than King Kohli, forget about sachin, he has to catch kohli before even thinking about sachin 

for you , your mind is full sachin :phehe:

if kohli is more popular than dhoni , then dhoni & kohli are more popular than sachin :ahaa:

thanks for another title " whetehr dhoni & kohli are more popular than sachin"  :cheer5:

1 hour ago, The Hound said:

This forum is filled with 35+ uncles so obviously Sachin is going to be more popular here :phehe: , in real world , MSD has overtaken him by some distance. 

Too nice.. Minimum 40:phehe:. Uncles should take retirement from this forum and leave it to young bunch.

Edited by Rasgulla

On 5/21/2018 at 11:09 PM, upriser7 said:

His own city's fans were pelting stones at his house for days after his flop show in 2007.

http://cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/258/wicketkeeper-dhonis-home-attacked-after-indian-loss

"Dhoni die, die," protesters chanted, burning effigies of the long-maned player

There were reports that he was hiding in Delhi at his friends house. Like he hides behind tailenders when ball starts swinging. :cantstop:

On 5/22/2018 at 2:34 AM, Shunya said:

Dhoni is still a special player and will always be. He is a trendsetter of modern-day keeper-bat for Indian cricket. And overall his impact to the team is visible from the way players speak of him. 

Agreed, Dhoni is not in sachin's league as pure batsman, but in all other leagues Sachin is nowhere near Dhoni. Dhoni as a package is way more than what Sachin was. And as mentioned earlier, after 2000 our team itself was great and we had far bigger match-winners apart from Sachin, so Indian fans always had options to follow/admire other players and they proudly did it except few lots who were stuck in 90s. 

And this thread was about Dhoni being more famous or popular than Sachin. Its very much visible to anyone who watches cricket, crowds all over India are in awe of Dhoni and rightly love him more than Sachin IMO. Maybe it is because of more young crowd or just more penetration due to T20/IPL cricket- whatever the case be, he just gets the biggest pops ever everytime he enters to bat - regardless of the team, venue, etc. 

What an illogical comparison, does Sachin played ipl this year. And how he is bigger match winner than Sachin, sachin has 63 MOM out of 463 odi and dadu has 21 out of 318. There is no comparision in test, other than captaincy which other leagues he is ahead of Dhoni. And Dhoni has lead the greatest ever team which india played in 11 wc. IPL dekh k itna excite mat ho. Even now Sachin is more popular anywhere outside india than dadu.

42 minutes ago, raki05 said:

What an illogical comparison, does Sachin played ipl this year. And how he is bigger match winner than Sachin, sachin has 63 MOM out of 463 odi and dadu has 21 out of 318. There is no comparision in test, other than captaincy which other leagues he is ahead of Dhoni. And Dhoni has lead the greatest ever team which india played in 11 wc. IPL dekh k itna excite mat ho. Even now Sachin is more popular anywhere outside india than dadu.

The way Dhoni gets ovation inside and outside India, it feels like he has surpassed Sachin in popularity.