Shittiest State in the Union, literally - West Bangladesh.

surajmal

@Gollum

1- Why is the state of some roads in Dhaka on Bakri-Id an indictment of the rigidity of Desi Muslim society of roughly say 45 crore individuals? That is a wild extrapolation by any account. There are many areas in the sub continent where Barki-id ( Eid ul Adha) is celebrated without making such a mess. 

2- Asking for 'scientific' ways to sacrifice goes against the very point of making that sacrifice. According to the Sunnah, a third of the meat goes to the needy, a third to relatives and neighbours and the remaining one third to the family that sacrifices the animal. There have been instances that I know of, where an entire society/basti has collectively sacrificed a goat. The problem here is that even those who cannot afford one ( the needy, in Quranic parlance) have to pay a fee, albeit a small one, to crowd fund the qurbani. If families had their own individual mini qurbanis, then the needy families would be recipients and not the ones funding.  

Also, I find it rather strange, that you wish Muslims to collectivize the celebration of their festivals. Its like someone asking you why does every house have its own idol of Lord Ganesh while having a Sarvajanik idol which they immerse anyways. Or like asking 15 families to come together and light limited diyas or burst only a handful of crackers. Or why have garba for 9 nights? Why not just one 24 hour garba where you dance to your hearts content. How ridiculous would that sound?

These are festivals. The objective never is to make the place dirty and disturb others. The objective is to celebrate and relish what the festival stands for. As long as its done within reasonable levels of noise and people agree to clean up and others aren't disturbed, it should be good to go.

3- What I find odd, is the need to bring in Muslim festival as a major cause of a state being unkempt, given that the festival is only once a year and that cleanliness/ lack of cleanliness is not religion specific at all. And then using that as an example to take a dig at the wider Muslim community of the subcontinent. The article, for instance, says Darjelling is one of the dirtiest cities. The main reason here could be an overdose of tourists and lack of facilities to handle the tourists. 

Edited by Mariyam

20 hours ago, FischerTal said:

nowhere near clean. ahmedabad is ranked 12th..... and i know how clean ahmedabad really is :phehe:

When was the last time you visited Ahmedabad? But it has become much cleaner than what it was even 2-3 years ago. Wider roads, better regulated traffic too. Its still a very boring place though.

Edited by Mariyam

37 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Adi B, you are Bong?
I saw you commenting about Bengali commentary in FIFA WC post.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Whaaaat? The FIFA WC has Bengali commentary?

Link me up with this please. This should be fun.

I can imagine the commentator screaming:

Noi chalbe Messi, eeesh, aur ekto chance miss koire.

:p:

51 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

1- Why is the state of some roads in Dhaka on Bakri-Id an indictment of the rigidity of Desi Muslim society of roughly say 45 crore individuals? That is a wild extrapolation by any account. There are many areas in the sub continent where Barki-id ( Eid ul Adha) is celebrated without making such a mess. 

2- Asking for 'scientific' ways to sacrifice goes against the very point of making that sacrifice. According to the Sunnah, a third of the meat goes to the needy, a third to relatives and neighbours and the remaining one third to the family that sacrifices the animal. There have been instances that I know of, where an entire society/basti has collectively sacrificed a goat. The problem here is that even those who cannot afford one ( the needy, in Quranic parlance) have to pay a fee, albeit a small one, to crowd fund the qurbani. If families had their own individual mini qurbanis, then the needy families would be recipients and not the ones funding.  

Also, I find it rather strange, that you wish Muslims to collectivize the celebration of their festivals. Its like someone asking you why does every house have its own idol of Lord Ganesh while having a Sarvajanik idol which they immerse anyways. Or like asking 15 families to come together and light limited diyas or burst only a handful of crackers. Or why have garba for 9 nights? Why not just one 24 hour garba where you dance to your hearts content. How ridiculous would that sound?

These are festivals. The objective never is to make the place dirty and disturb others. The objective is to celebrate and relish what the festival stands for. As long as its done within reasonable levels of noise and people agree to clean up and others aren't disturbed, it should be good to go.

3- What I find odd, is the need to bring in Muslim festival as a major cause of a state being unkempt, given that the festival is only once a year and that cleanliness/ lack of cleanliness is not religion specific at all. And then using that as an example to take a dig at the wider Muslim community of the subcontinent. The article, for instance, says Darjelling is one of the dirtiest cities. The main reason here could be an overdose of tourists and lack of facilities to handle the tourists. 

1. Bakrid can't be celebrated without making a mess, especially if done in public places. I have read enough articles about the mess left behind after the mass slaughter that day. There is a reason we have slaughterhouses and professional butchers.

2. In Bengal Durga Puja is done collectively by a society/neighborhood. At least I never came across individual idols. Don't know about Mumbai but if each house has its own Ganesh idol and idol immersion is choking water bodies that is sad to hear. Polluting crackers, excessive diyas...I denounce it. 9 night garba....excessive. See I condemn these excesses in Hindu societies, but you don't seem to take criticism aimed at Bakrid that well methinks.

One thing I can tell you Hindus are flexible, they will soon realize the wrongs and course correct. The Gadhimai festival in Nepal was discontinued even though it was an age old tradition. Many Hindus are avoiding crackers, loud music, idol immersion etc...change is coming. In a few years time you will see that Hindus have adjusted themselves to modernity.

But one thing I can challenge you is that even after 1000 years Bakrid won't be done in a more scientific way, I don't see any introspection happening in the Muslim community. Its all fine to pray for crackerless Diwali, waterless Holi but no one wants to debate the shortcomings of Bakrid. I am telling you this, even if cultured meat becomes mainstay one day in the future, all Muslims will still butcher animals because the Holy Book says so. If the Earth is facing an environmental disaster where no more animals should be killed to preserve eco balance, Muslims will still go ahead and celebrate Bakrid.

There is very little flexibility, very little common sense among even the educated Muslims. Something has been written somewhere 1400 years ago, you can't challenge that but have to apply same principles in the 21st century.....absurd. All other religious texts and scriptures have undergone modification, reinterpretation to keep up with changing times but not in case of Islam. You can't replicate 7th century Arabia in 21st century modern world...no escaping this fact, yet majority Muslims aren't ready to challenge that notion.

As a Hindu I can tell you that most of the old Hindu texts are gibberish and unmitigated nonsense. We are far more enlightened than the people who came up with Manusmriti for instance. There is scope for re examining Lord Ram's character but try that with the Islamic prophet !!!! There was a PETA meet in Bhopal a few years back to promote vegetarianism on Bakrid day and the violent reaction by Muslims ensured PETA never opened its mouth on Bakrid after that. When that jallikattu saga was going on 2 years back, there were week long peaceful protests. PETA still continues with moral preaching during jallikattu season. 

3. I apologize for that. I made a point and things went on a tangent from there. You know how things operate in a public forum, right? A leads to B leads to P, Q, R....after a few posts nothing is related to the topic of the thread. From personal experience Muslim localities in Kolkata are much more filthier than other parts...maybe it is different in Mumbai. Full stop...not touching this topic again, will stick to OP's article henceforth.

Regards

An unapologetic and proud Islamophobe Gollum

P.S Don't hate me @Mariyam, love your posts and respect your thought process. Just can't agree with you every time.

Edited by Gollum

44 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Its like someone asking you why does every house have its own idol of Lord Ganesh while having a Sarvajanik idol which they immerse anyways. Or like asking 15 families to come together and light limited diyas or burst only a handful of crackers. 

This should be and is the case. There are reforms in Hindu celebrations all the time for instance hc order on crackers. Be eco sensitive is existential necessity. Should not be defended on religious grounds.

I agree bringing Muslims into the discussion wasn't fair. Desis in general are one of the dirtiest people you would ever encounter and that includes people from every religion.
We simply have no concept of hygiene.
What is desis fixation with flowers? I suffer from Anthophobia. You have no idea, my life is a living hell during festivals. Also one of the reasons I avoid going to temples.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

@Gollum

The arguement, I thought, wasn't about my condemnation of bakri-id or your condemnation of garba. For the record, I enjoy the 9 nights of garba a lot more than I 'enjoy' the few hours of bakri id. And I wouldn't call either of them an excess. What we are arguing about here is the linkage of religious practices/malpractices to overall cleanliness. I did not follow that point, hence was seeking clarification.

I'm not an expert on these things, but an Indian mega city with a river is likelier to be a lot dirtier than a city without one. It is where everything would be dumped. Look at the Yamuna for instance. Mumbai has a small river; mithi. Which for the last many decades is nothing but a glorified nala. Kolkata has a much larger river in Hooghly. It can inundate the adjoining area with all the refuse that has been thrown into it, every time it over flows. So when you compare localities in between cities or within a city, metrics such as proximity to a river should also be huge factors.

There is no question of hating you or anyone. :icflove: Where is that coming from?

Someone not agreeing with me doesn't translate to me hating on him/her. 

PS: Neither is there a need of any apology. You had a view point, we had a discussion. End of.

41 minutes ago, nikred said:

What is desis fixation with flowers? I suffer from Anthophobia. You have no idea, my life is a living hell during festivals. Also one of the reasons I avoid going to temples.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

just dumb f's basically..sheep herd, do what ' puraanee peedhee' did type. At least flowers are ok they smell nice, but have to be removed after celebration - but some stuff are just nasty - add mike honey ghee and put it on a stone..lit a fire..it looks good for a pic the key is to clean it properly, temples have a hhygiene problem, its just not a priority.

Whaaaat? The FIFA WC has Bengali commentary?
Link me up with this please. This should be fun.

I can imagine the commentator screaming:
Noi chalbe Messi, eeesh, aur ekto chance miss koire.

:p:

You are Bengali too Mariyam?
I think on TV , it is available in SONY ESPN/Sony Aath though you have to check because we are watching the Hindi commentary wala only
Sony LIV has Bengali feed online.

23 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

You are Bengali too Mariyam?
I think on TV , it is available in SONY ESPN/Sony Aath though you have to check because we are watching the Hindi commentary wala only
Sony LIV has Bengali feed online.

She is pretend Bangali.. Come IPL, You will see how passionate she gets about Puneris (sorry Mumbai Mafia)

Edited by mishra

On 6/24/2018 at 7:14 PM, randomGuy said:

Maharashtra is a big state. Hope recent plastic ban there is a success, to be replicated in rest of the country. Otherwise I guess delhi has also had unsuccessful plastic ban.. 

plastic ban is not solution. if you ban everything plastic, we will reverse back to 1800s.  Govt needs to work on plastic recycling.

Just now, rkt.india said:

plastic ban is not solution. if you ban everything plastic, we will reverse back to 1800s.  Govt needs to work on plastic recycling.

I meant polythene bags. Awareness (of using dust bin, of segregating biodegradable and recyclable waste, of not burning but recycling plastic) is  important of course.... 

Dustbin infrastructure is important... Yahan to public dustbins hi chori/damage ho jate hain... 

Bans etc. Come into picture in such scenarios... 

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Wait what? 

How would banning plastic lead to civilization going back to 19th century?