Ganguly Slams Team Selection After Series Loss, Asks for Rahul to be Given Extended Run !!!

velu

The only time when Indian team was giving youngsters chances continuously was in the Dravid-Chappell era. Ganguly was out of form for close to 2 years and was still playing as the captain.The team needs an aggressive coach,captain and selectors who are not paper tigers.
I don't think Dravid has the flair for a star fronted, marketing driven campaign like we Have for the senior team in our country.
He has his favourites- but he usually changes up the team a lot and experiments which can be a good thing if done rightly but he can't definitely make star out of a cricketer.
Not that cricketers are selling well nowadays.... But still.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Just now, diehardpacer said:

The only time when Indian team was giving youngsters chances continuously was in the Dravid-Chappell era. Ganguly was out of form for close to 2 years and was still playing as the captain.The team needs an aggressive coach,captain and selectors who are not paper tigers.

They destroyed India's greatest pace sensation since Kapil, Irfan, in that same era. Ganguly was the one who gave him the breakthrough, Chappell-Dravid ruined him :((

They destroyed India's greatest pace sensation since Kapil, Irfan, in that same era. Ganguly was the one who gave him the breakthrough, Chappell-Dravid ruined him :((
That's why I get annoyed when I see people praising Dravid to skies.
He is as bad as other people involved with bcci and is no saint.
So is Ganguly and everybody else.

21 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Irfan was a bowler who can bat under Ganguly but became a proper all rounder under Dravid due to regular batting promotions.The reasons for his promotions were the new Powerplay rules where they wanted a hitter whose wicket would not cost the team.Irfan became ineffective because he never had the pace and lost the swing which keeps happening with all Indian bowlers.I blame it mostly due to lack of decent bowling coaches.Even Dhoni promoted him to no3 in Australia tri series,so why blame Dravid alone.

Barring Irfan's failure, Yuvi,Raina,Dhoni,Gambhir,Uthappa,Karthik,Munaf,RP Singh,Sreesanth had decent success in that time.The team's fielding was world class for the first time and that culture carried ahead.The team had a longest chasing streak.And most importantly the immediate success was world T20. That didn't happen out of nowhere.

It's too easy to blame Dravid-Chappell.Over experimentation was their only fault.But not giving youngsters chances is horrible.

At that time Ganguly was playing politics due to Dalmiya's power & influence just like Dhoni is doing today due to CSK lobby.

The likes of Pant,Nair,Iyer,Hardik,Rahul,Kuldeep would not have got sufficient chances without Dravid's constant backing either in IPL or India A & under 19.

18 minutes ago, diehardpacer said:

Irfan was a bowler who can bat under Ganguly but became a proper all rounder under Dravid due to regular batting promotions.The reasons for his promotions were the new Powerplay rules where they wanted a hitter whose wicket would not cost the team.Irfan became ineffective because he never had the pace and lost the swing which keeps happening with all Indian bowlers.I blame it mostly due to lack of decent bowling coaches.Even Dhoni promoted him to no3 in Australia tri series,so why blame Dravid alone.

Barring Irfan's failure, Yuvi,Raina,Dhoni,Gambhir,Uthappa,Karthik,Munaf,RP Singh,Sreesanth had decent success in that time.The team's fielding was world class for the first time and that culture carried ahead.The team had a longest chasing streak.And most importantly the immediate success was world T20. That didn't happen out of nowhere.

It's too easy to blame Dravid-Chappell.Over experimentation was their only fault.But not giving youngsters chances is horrible.

At that time Ganguly was playing politics due to Dalmiya's power & influence just like Dhoni is doing today due to CSK lobby.

The likes of Pant,Nair,Iyer,Hardik,Rahul,Kuldeep would not have got sufficient chances without Dravid's constant backing either in IPL or India A & under 19.

What new PP rules? Also he regularly touched the 140's after his debut, I can't say why he lost the pace but his form clearly went downhill as India looked to extract more out of his batting, including opening with him in tests IIRC.

That streak ended in 2006 under Dravid, against WI in WI, so I'm not sure how you're extending that logic one year down the road especially given that we were knocked knocked out of the WC in WI.

It's not, but the team stalled under him with a 100(?) ball 15 or something against England in the third test, Ganguly scored a run a ball fifty IIRC, being a low point for Dravid in tests. We weren't winning much & it was affecting Dravid's batting as well.

For all the stick SRT gets for his no show post 2011, check Dravid's stats post 2006. His only great series, with the bat, was England 2011 IIRC.

At the time Ganguly was removed, IIRC Pawar was the BCCI head. The removal of Ganguly was a captain was justified, as a player though I don't see why he was dropped for so long.

That's debatable, some of these guys are brilliant and would've gotten more chances, except for a biased management. Can we say that every team management, which Dravid's a part of, is totally unbiased?

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (22).png

Edited by R!TTER
1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

What new PP rules? Also he regularly touched the 140's after his debut, I can't say why he lost the pace but his form clearly went downhill as India looked to extract more out of his batting, including opening with him in tests IIRC.

That streak ended in 2006 under Dravid, against WI in WI, so I'm not sure how you're extending that logic one year down the road especially given that we were knocked knocked out of the WC in WI.

It's not, but the team stalled under him with a 100(?) ball 15 or something against England in the third test, Ganguly scored a run a ball fifty IIRC, being a low point for Dravid in tests. We weren't winning much & it was affecting Dravid's batting as well.

For all the stick SRT gets for his no show post 2011, check Dravid's stats post 2006. His only great series, with the bat, was England 2011 IIRC.

At the time Ganguly was removed, IIRC Pawar was the BCCI head. The removal of Ganguly was a captain was justified, as a player though I don't see why he was dropped for so long.

That's debatable, some of these guys are brilliant and would've gotten more chances, except for a biased management. Can we say that every team management, which Dravid's a part of, is totally unbiased?

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (22).png

Ganguly had terrible ODI & test avg & SR in 2005 was mediocre in 2004. Dravid had avg of 30 & 35 in 2007,2008 & in 3 matches in 2012.Most likely the effect of WC humiliation & not having any coach till Kirsten was selected put too much pressure on him.He also opened the batting & changed his batting position as per need in that time.He was back to usual best in 2009 & 2011 with avg of 83 & 57 & 43 in 2009.Ind won test series v Eng under Dravid,which we have not managed to do so far.

Ganguly had to be kicked out because he was obsessed with captaincy despite terrible performance.We also lost 11 finals under him.

In that 3rd test vs Eng,Dravid made the mistake of chasing to use the 3 pacers & 5th day was a raging turner with uneven bounce.So,they crumbled.

2018-07-20 (3).png

2018-07-20 (4).png

2018-07-20 (5).png

I never rated Ganguly as a batsman even during my childhood but the guy knows what he's talking about. It's understandable that he can't openly condemn Dhoni's (non-)performance. I'm just fed up and want to quit Indian cricket given that the batting coach Sanjay Bangar (srsly that guy, and for batting) is considering Manish Pandey, Jadhav, and Rayudu as middle order players. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity.

Ganguly was a fantastic ODI batsman between 1997 - 2003. He scored around 20 centuries in those 6 years. Except 1998, he was better bat than Sachin in that period.

I never rated Ganguly as a batsman even during my childhood but the guy knows what he's talking about. It's understandable that he can't openly condemn Dhoni's (non-)performance. I'm just fed up and want to quit Indian cricket given that the batting coach Sanjay Bangar (srsly that guy, and for batting) is considering Manish Pandey, Jadhav, and Rayudu as middle order players. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not sure what happens suddenly lot of senior players are rooting for rahane. It seems rahane selection is around the corner for no. 4 position in wc 19. Vengasarkar chewtia is saying how can you drop someone who captain against afg in the next seires ( odi against england). This is ridiculous .... why Ganguly,Vengsarkar et al supporting rahane.

4 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Not sure what happens suddenly lot of senior players are rooting for rahane. It seems rahane selection is around the corner for no. 4 position in wc 19. Vengasarkar chewtia is saying how can you drop someone who captain against afg in the next seires ( odi against england). This is ridiculous .... why Ganguly,Vengsarkar et al supporting rahane.

The cycle just goes on and on. When Rahane comes back in and fails, Kohli will get to say see I told you so and he will bring back Raina. After we have had enough of Raina's break dance at the crease, senior players will again root for Rahane or someone of his calibre. This is Indian cricket for you. 

1821706962_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.32ab5df4dbcc834c19322f03ce920369.png
1271687515_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.ec4dc721b1013582cf8eeee963d5b65a.png
People who think Rahul Dravid as an unbiased saint is a moron
He is as biased as Dhoni or Kohli.
Infact, he is worse.
Have heard loads of bad stuff about him.

Ganguly was our best captain-he has done a lot of politics but his selections was spot on.
Kumble was also good.

15 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Infact, he is worse.

Ganguly was our best captain-he has done a lot of politics but his selections was spot on.
Kumble was also good.

100% agreed on this.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Infact, he is worse.

Kumble was also good.

Chappell helped Ganguly with his batting technique before Aussie tour in 2003-04 which gave him success and they were good friends at that time.After that series,Ganguly was horribly out of form and his poor technique to both spinners and pacers got exposed badly in the 2 years after WC 2003.India lost to Pak in ODIs in India and was losing lots of matches in both Asia and abroad at that time.Now,John Wright understood Indian politics much better.The team under Ganguly rarely changed for 4-5 years since 2002.He knew it was impossible to ask Ganguly to step down or to get new players in place of seniors & decided to part ways before he was blamed for all the losses.

Since Ganguly's captaincy was also in question in 2005,he decided to bring his friend Chappell who he thought would be a loyal Chamcha just like Kohli did by kicking Kumble to get Shastri back. Chappell saw the problems with the team after losing Sl tri series & to Nz in Zimbabwe tri series.The problem was Ganguly being a non performer was letting the team down.India's ODI ranking was 7 at that time.So,he suggested him to consider stepping down & play as a batsman & recover his form. Ganguly took offense to that & after scoring a slow 100 of 260 balls,went public & started accusing Chappell of wanting to kick him out.Well after that series,the board supported Chappell over Ganguly & decided to drop Ganguly in the pretense of fitness issues & made Dravid part time captain for SL series.India kept winning series after series in Asia at that time & selectors got decent excuses to keep Ganguly out.

The only issue I have with Chappel is 2007 WC.After the re entry of all the seniors back into the team before 2007 WC due to politics,he became petty & did not collaborate in team discussions,which created a bad team environment.

If Eng can sack Peterson & favour Andy Flower,if Aus can ban Steve Smith for 1 year for ball tampering & if we can demand Kohli  & Dhoni should step down for losing matches,why are Dravid-Chappell being blamed for keeping Ganguly out despite his & team's poor performance at that time.Had Ganguly stepped down from captaincy on his own,none of the mess would have happened. Dravid himself offered to resign after WC.But board asked him to continue.Sachin resigned & Kumble retired from captaincy after failures.But Ganguly had to be kicked because of his own flaws.

Edited by diehardpacer
On 7/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Kumble was also good.

Ganguly idea's were pretty bad at times

He wanted to make yuvraj a test opener, thank god for mcgrath n warnie who ended this experiment

He gave rohan gavaskar such a long rope 

Even parthiv patel kept playing n playing 

Kumble was gr8 in terms of backing a player, on field didnt look a gr8 captain

On 7/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, R!TTER said:

he himself ruined it , even before chappell came uska satynaash shuru ho gaya tha 

On 7/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, diehardpacer said:

Ashwin has been promoted so many times, even pandya gets it 

Srinath was used as pinch hitter.....they all didnt forget bowling

If u have to make use of his all round abilities, he has to be given batting up the order. 10-15 baal khel ke kaha uski batting develop hogi .

I find this hilarious when ppl use it as excuse........even irfan himself has said batting up only use to help his confidence. Infact it was his runs that was keeping his place at times.