Whether Jadeja is the best ever indian fielder?

velu

12 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

Jadeja is not properly utilizsed in one dayers... He is not a slogger in the mould of  say Maxwell/Afridi  who can start blazing straight away & give a 20 ball 30 and get out.And that has been just the reason as to him being stagnant in one dayers as a batsman.

so he should bat at no.5 ?

12 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Same guy has been averaging 45 since NZ series with consistent performances (10 50+ scores in 34 innings) in tests.

I guess it's time to use him as a floater if he plays. Somewhat like how Irfan was used.

12 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He does not suck as a batsman, just not a big hitter people expect him to be who can just come and start hitting due to his limited stroke range.

obviously talking about lower order batting in ODIs, where he has been a proven failure. Even in tests, his runs are bonus, i dont expect much from him.

13 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Didn’t have the strongest of throws from outfield and wasn’t as quick in chasing the ball in the outfield. With thicker bats and edges, those cut shots do not often go to point fielders now so we see less of such catches. Overall Jadeja is the best ever fielder we have had with Kaif at 2 and fixer at 3.

Jadeja in fact could right now be the quickest globally

You have brought up a forgotten mode of dismissal from 90s and 2000s... Very true.. used to get pissed whenever Sachin , Dravid got out caught there.  Catches by Jonty, Gibbs , Ponting, Yuvi from that position were memorable. 

These days teams seem to be keeping the weakest of fielders there during middle or last few overs.

Edited by Vk1
2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

:laugh: he is not a good ground fielder but he has taken some spectacular catches diving and also had some direct hits. He was as bad as Kumble when it came to ground fielding. Kumble used to dive after the ball has passed him :phehe:

Kumble's throw from the deep... Used to come floating like a kid's plastic ball.. :wall:

12 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Run outs equivalent to pointing. The diving catches are missing but guess today those opportunities in point are limited due to flat pitches .

Easily the greatest fielder ever to play for India.

not because of pitches but because we have less backfoot players these days who play cut shots like SRT and Dravid used too and also bowlers hardly give batsmen the balls to cut.

16 hours ago, Clarke said:

I think so; did see Azhar in late 90s and although he had those moments (i recall a runout in the 96 WC semifinal, magical) I still feel RJ is the most awesome fielder in Indian colors. Ajay Jadeja was pretty neat as well. 

Yes I remember..Vaas..Azhar made a direct hit and he even tipped his Cap to Eden crowd who was going beserk...sadly it didnt end too well..in my opinion its 

Best Slip Fielder:Dravid,Laxman

Best Point fielders - Yuvi,Azhar, Kaif,Ajay Jadeja,Ravindra Jadeja,Raina

Best Deep fielder:Ravindra Jadeja (remember his catch against Bangladesh 3 to win,under pressure blinder)  and Ajay Jadeja (92 world cup catch)

Best Short Leg:Eknath Solkar though havent seen him

Robin Singh was a gun fielder as well as Hrishikesh Kanitkar (stunner in 1999/2000 Tri series Australia..Bill Lawry exclaiming what a rippa),Hemang Badani was also very good

22 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Didn’t have the strongest of throws from outfield and wasn’t as quick in chasing the ball in the outfield. With thicker bats and edges, those cut shots do not often go to point fielders now so we see less of such catches. Overall Jadeja is the best ever fielder we have had with Kaif at 2 and fixer at 3.

Jadeja in fact could right now be the quickest globally

dont forget the other jadeja ! ajay was a better fielder than ravindra

robin singh was very good too

overall - jadejas at no 1

singh at 2 

kaif at 3

azar as slip fielder no 4

I remember starting a topic about this 5 years ago, I don't know where the thread is, and if anyone remembers it. I said jadeja is the best Indian fielder of all time, I got trolled massively. Now in hindsight, my analysis was correct. I can laugh and enjoy my analysis and predictions, for the usually come true.