Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?

Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • Sunil Gavaskar
    • V.V.S.Laxman
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • Aravinda De Silva
    • Inzamam Ul Haq
    • Majid Khan
    • Javed Miandad
    • Virat Kohli
    • Mohammad Azharuddin
    • Zaheer Abbas
    • Gundappa Vishwanath
    • Kumar Sangakaara
    • Mahela Jayewardene
    • Roy Dias
    • Vijay Manjrekar
    • Sannath Jayasuriya
    • Saed Anwar
    • Dilip Vengsarkar
    • Younis Khan

16 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Anyone who thinks Sehwag was more talented than Sachin can't be taken seriously. Sachin could play all the shots which Sehwag did. He just chose not to.

sorry sachin did not play those and sehwag did..like 300 in test..

ok bye

35 minutes ago, Vilander said:

sorry sachin did not play those and sehwag did..like 300 in test..

ok bye

This exposes you as an hater. Anyone who thinks Sehwag more talented than Sachin is either a hater or a poster with an agenda. Hypocrsiy of you calling others agenda posters who doesn't agree with your agenda. :phehe: You can call Sachin selfish. That's fine because he was selfish in the last phase of his career like most subcontinent greats including your pet Dhongi.

Edited by Pollack
8 minutes ago, Pollack said:

This exposes you as an hater. Anyone who thinks Sehwag more talented than Sachin is either a hater or a poster with an agenda. Hypocrsiy of you calling others agenda posters who doesn't agree with your agenda. :phehe: You can call Sachin selfish. That's fine because he was selfish in the last phase of his career like most subcontinent greats including your pet Dhongi.

Many CSK fans seem to unnecessarily hate on Sachin...this despite his long and fruitful association with the city be it with Chepauk or MRF. Sad to see IPL sow so many divisions among cricket fans. 

42 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Tendulkar is a product of hard work and natural talent. Sehwag is an unadulterated natural talent. You can imitate Sachin like Sehwag initially did. You can't imitate Sehwag. Those horizontal shots against the turn through the point is a natural thing. You could say the same about Azharuddin. Tendulkar before going to Australian tour would ask bowlers to bowl from 15 ft with wet ball and practice for hours. Same way when he wanted to take on Warne, he asked L Siva to bowl on the rough and practiced. Same way during his 241 at Sydney he made a conscious decision not to play through the offside and made a 241. He is a very hard worker. That is why he had such a long career. Sehwag despite having no experience in opening the innings in Tests he succeeded as an opener with a strike rate of 81.   Even Tendulkar will not disagree that Sehwag was a unique talent that we may never see again in Tests. That doesn't mean Tendulkar is talentless. But he worked really hard to get where he reached. Guys like Lara, Sehwag are more flair players. They just reacted to the ball. 

Sachin was a well rounded, complete test cricketer by the age of 18, how's that for talent? Wish he had Lara's hunger for daddy 100s, Viru's fearlessness or Laxman's mental toughness.....any 1 of those attributes and he would have been undisputed best of post WW-2 era. Talent-wise I have never seen his equivalent, at least in cricket.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Sachin was a well rounded, complete test cricketer by the age of 18, how's that for talent? Wish he had Lara's hunger for daddy 100s, Viru's fearlessness or Laxman's mental toughness.....any 1 of those attributes and he would have been undisputed best of post WW-2 era. Talent-wise I have never seen his equivalent, at least in cricket.

Not even Vishy?Remember his artistic genius.

Tendulkar is a product of hard work and natural talent. Sehwag is an unadulterated natural talent. You can imitate Sachin like Sehwag initially did. You can't imitate Sehwag. Those horizontal shots against the turn through the point is a natural thing. You could say the same about Azharuddin. Tendulkar before going to Australian tour would ask bowlers to bowl from 15 ft with wet ball and practice for hours. Same way when he wanted to take on Warne, he asked L Siva to bowl on the rough and practiced. Same way during his 241 at Sydney he made a conscious decision not to play through the offside and made a 241. He is a very hard worker. That is why he had such a long career. Sehwag despite having no experience in opening the innings in Tests he succeeded as an opener with a strike rate of 81.   Even Tendulkar will not disagree that Sehwag was a unique talent that we may never see again in Tests. That doesn't mean Tendulkar is talentless. But he worked really hard to get where he reached. Guys like Lara, Sehwag are more flair players. They just reacted to the ball. 

Hitting the ball hard and ability to score fast is not the only measure of talent. I am one of the Sehwag’s biggest fan and one of biggest critics of Sachin .

Ability to adapt according to pitch condition , type of bowling and state of the match is also a talent.

That’s where Sachin is way above any other player.ABDV has that ability he could if we are impartial he is one greatest talents as there is nothing he could not do with bat.sachin did longer therefore I put him above ABDV.

Viv , Sehwag knew only one way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Hitting the ball hard and ability to score fast is not the only measure of talent. I am one of the Sehwag’s biggest fan and one of biggest critics of Sachin .

Ability to adapt according to pitch condition , type of bowling and state of the match is also a talent.

That’s where Sachin is way above any other player.ABDV has that ability he could if we are impartial he is one greatest talents as there is nothing he could not do with bat.sachin did longer therefore I put him above ABDV.

Yes. It involved a fair amount of hard work. Ganguly was also a gifted timer. I have heard he never went to practice.

Yes. It involved a fair amount of hard work. Ganguly was also a gifted timer. I have heard he never went to practice.

It is not about just hard work, it is about having the technique also. Both Sachin and ABDV had that beautiful technique which enabled them to do more than just scoring runs. They could survive on any wicket and play any type of game. They could defend all day too.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It is not about just hard work, it is about having the technique also. Both Sachin and ABDV had that beautiful technique which enabled them to do more than just scoring runs. They could survive on any wicket and play any type of game. They could defend all day too.

Technique is just one aspect. Discipline, Temperament also goes with it. There was a time when Manjrekar was hailed as the technically the best batsman in the world.  Guys like Gower, Treschothik, Ganguly, Lara, Azharuddin have this flair that comes naturally to them even much of feet movement.  Ability to play on different surfaces is a byproduct of hard work. Dravid's ability against swing is better than anybody including Tendulkar as he has this great ability to play besides the ball instead of going straight at the ball.  Many English commies also praised so much that English batsmen should learn from Dravid against swing. Each batsman is blessed with some level of talent. Tendulkar maximized it by hardwork.  Tendulkar didn't play a single sweep shot for a good 6 or 7 years since he made debut. Later on he realized it needed to be part of his strokes and headded it.  Tendulkar is a bit like Bradman who also used to practice for hours. TEndulkar's biggest ability was picking the length quicker than anyone. There was a time he could pull even slightly short of full balls. If you can pick the length quickly half the job is done. Batting is all about getting into the right position to receive the ball. Tendulkar was pretty good at that. Kambli was never blessed with that talent. He was not willing to work hard as well. Result is a failed career.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Yes ABDV is a freak.  He was the difference India winning and losing last test series in SA

32 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Dravid is the product of sheer hard work.  Tendulkar had the talent along with hard work.  

That is what i say. Tendulkar is not just a pure talent. He was able to maximize it through hard work. Dravid had his own talent. You should see his on drives in his debut test. They were breath taking. Also one of the best puller Indian team ever had.

Edited by vvvslaxman
This is my list in order of merit of the the most talented or gifted  batsmen ever from the sub-continent.It does not consider statistical records , technique or overall class but only the degree of natural genius posessed by the batsmen.

1.Gundappa Vishwanath- Equivalent of a magician to batting taking artistry to regions of divinty.Wristwork of mythical proportions.,being  the best ever executor of the square and late cut.

2.Majid Khan-On his day could punish the good balls like Viv Richards taking batting aesthetics to depths of the sublime.The best ever exponent of the hook shot from the sub-continent

3.Virendra Sehwag-Took batting domination to its ultimate zenith and wizardy to regions unexplored.Some of his strokes were simply surreal like his square drive to balls 10 onches outside hi soffstum.

4.Sachin Tendulkar-Mastery like none able to hit the best of balls to the fence through the V'.Best ever batsmen in the 'V 'area and of the straight drive.

5.V.V.S.Laxman-Another version of Vishwanath taking artistry and inventivenes to mythical proportions.

6.Inzamam Ul Haq-In his era bated more like Viv Richards than anyone with lightning reflexes.

7.Virat Kohli-I have never seen a batsmen place a ball with more precision or insight.Best at the cover drive.

8.Zaheer Abbas-The batting equivalent of a poet or painter whose deft touches would send the best balls racing to the boundary.No batsmen was a better exponent of the drive through extra cover.

9.Saed Anwar-Almost as punishing as Sehwag but much more graceful and poetic.

10.Roy Dias-Artistry in region sof the sublime with his strokes like the sound of a flute.

11.Aravinda De Silva-Capable of taking any attack apart in any conditions  and turn a game.

12.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or graceful  a but a master in manipulating the field with his great improvisation.Posessed strokes which had touches of genius like his pull shot.

I personally think Anwar was the most talented Pakistani cricketer....

Sewhag is the most talented cricketer from India...

Sachin is the product of hardwork and talent, Dravid is mostly hardwork. Sehwag was purely talent....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I think its become some kind of fashion for some people in India to downplay Sachin's talent. Just like the "liberal" minded people who criticize everything Indian and praise foreigners. 

Nigga please, Sachin is one of the greatest batsmen to have ever played the game. He is easily the best SC batsman.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:31 AM, Harsh Thakor said:

Sehwag more attacking but Inzy better against genuine pace and on fast tracks.

Uh what? Inzi averaged 31 in Australia and 32 in South Africa while averaging over 50 everywhere else. He sucked against bounce and pace in bouncy conditions. What you're claiming is a myth, Sehwag did better than him in both those countries.