At least 100 children die of lychee-linked encephalitis in India

Haarkarjeetgaye

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/at-least-100-children-die-of-lychee-linked-encephalitis-in-india

At least 100 children die of lychee-linked encephalitis in India

A child receives medical treatment due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) in a hospital in Muzaffarpur, India, on June 10, 2019. A child receives medical treatment due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) in a hospital in Muzaffarpur, India, on June 10, 2019.PHOTO: AFP

PUBLISHED
JUN 17, 2019, 5:16 PM SGT

NEW DELHI (DPA) - At least 100 children have died of encephalitis in India's eastern state of Bihar, where health authorities are grappling with a surge of cases in the disease that causes the brain to swell.

The deaths, reported since early June, occurred mostly in the Muzaffarpur district, considered the epicentre of the outbreak, principal health secretary Sanjay Kumar said.

Eighty-three children had died in the state-run Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital in Muzaffapur, hospital superintendent Sunil Kumar Shahi said, adding 17 more had died at a private hospital in the city.

The victims were all children under the age of 7, he said.

Some 291 more children from Muzaffarpur and nearby districts have been admitted to hospital, he added. The number of deaths spiked over the past few days as the toll had been put at 67 on Friday.

Encephalitis is a brain inflammation, mostly caused by viral infection. The risk of disease increases during summer and rainy seasons between June to October.

Kumar said there could be multiple reasons behind the outbreak of encephalitis.

Some health officials cited hypoglycaemia, a condition caused by very low level of blood sugar and electrolyte imbalance, as the main reason for deaths.

Health professionals suspect the deaths to be linked to toxins present in lychee fruits, which had been detected in urine samples of patients, local media reported.

Children with low blood sugar levels caused by malnutrition could develop encephalitis after eating a large amount of the fruit which is grown in the region.

The Japanese encephalitis virus is the most common cause of encephalitis syndrome in the country, causing up to 35 per cent of the cases, the reports said.

8 hours ago, velu said:

i read similar news years back  as well .. eating raw lychee in empty stomach is dangerous , but not sure whether this has any proof 

I doubt it is leechee alone .

It is probably something endemic to that leechee belt .

This is always in bihar or eastern UP.

Dehradun is a leechee growing area. Never heard of this ...touch wood !.

I have eaten plenty of raw leechee as a child ..with mom screaming at me but she talked about getting stomach ache and stomach upset.

Edited by beetle

3 hours ago, beetle said:

I doubt it is leechee alone .

It is probably something endemic to that leechee belt .

This is always in bihar or eastern UP.

Dehradun is a leechee growing area. Never heard of this ...touch wood !.

I have eaten plenty of raw leechee as a child ..with mom screaming at me but she talked about getting stomach ache and stomach upset.

The theory from doctors is that Lychee contains a toxin which stays in intestines and during intense heat season, it can cause hypoglycemia in the children who do not eat their meal at night which can lead to death if not treated timely.

Edited by rkt.india

43 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

The theory from doctors is that Lychee contains a toxin which is stays in intestines and during intense heat season, it can cause hypoglycemia in the children who do not eat their meal at night which can lead to death if not treated timely.

That makes sense.

Dehradun doesn't get that hot like the plains.

It has reached 160 across Bihar.

Complete failure of healthcare system.

Mofo CM is busy in calculating gain loss in which party he should ally with.

None of the ministers or opposition leaders seem to have any thoughts or sympathies with parents.

All of them busy enjoying result of Ind Pak match.

Only good thing is UP has not been affected.

28 minutes ago, Number said:

It has reached 160 across Bihar.

Complete failure of healthcare system.

Mofo CM is busy in calculating gain loss in which party he should ally with.

None of the ministers or opposition leaders seem to have any thoughts or sympathies with parents.

All of them busy enjoying result of Ind Pak match.

Only good thing is UP has not been affected.

UP ka time bhi aayega August me during monsoons.

And it is not just a failure of healthcare system.  People are poor and illiterate.  They don't take their kids to hospitals and clinics timely which results in deaths.  Some cant afford it, some are just plain ignorant initially.  People will only tell how many died, they wont tell 100s who were saved and has recovered from the illness.  No healthcare can do anything if patient is not admitted timely.

37 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

And it is not just a failure of healthcare system.  People are poor and illiterate.  They don't take their kids to hospitals and clinics timely which results in deaths.  Some cant afford it, some are just plain ignorant initially.  People will only tell how many died, they wont tell 100s who were saved and has recovered from the illness.  No healthcare can do anything if patient is not admitted timely.

There are at least 3 children per bed. That shows healthcare is screwed up. There are more pan stains at water taps than water.

I understand  UP Biharis are not literate but even illiterates value lives. The problem is not to question the government or acknowledge their failures. Till then UP Bihar will be Bimar

8 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

There are at least 3 children per bed. That shows healthcare is screwed up. There are more pan stains at water taps than water.

I understand  UP Biharis are not literate but even illiterates value lives. The problem is not to question the government or acknowledge their failures. Till then UP Bihar will be Bimar

UP/Bihar are bimar because people are poor, illiterate and ignorant.  and Who is responsible for those pan stains? Modi? 

18 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Still some good work done in UP in the recent years

D9GUIAUUwAAmM_-?format=jpg&name=medium

22 hours ago, rkt.india said:

65 years of Congress.

Just couple of years back Yogi was reprimanded for deaths in his own constituency Gorakhpur,for saying root cause is mosquito and we must make UP cleaner. He did it.

What does stats say now?

Edited by mishra

3 hours ago, mishra said:

Just couple of years back Yogi was reprimanded for deaths in his own constituency Gorakhpur,for saying root cause is mosquito and we must make UP cleaner. He did it.

What does stats say now?

Those deaths had happened a few months after Yogi became CM but after that he had started a vaccination drive which has helped in reducing the numbers.  The biggest issue is muslims not doing vaccinations for their kids.  Yogi is one of the most vocal politicians in promoting vaccinations in UP even before he became CM. 

UP CM Yogi Adityanath launches JE vaccination drive in 38 districts of UP

https://www.jagranjosh.com/current-affairs/up-cm-yogi-adityanath-launches-je-vaccination-drive-in-38-districts-of-up-1495773123-1

Bihar encephalitis deaths: What Nitish Kumar may learn from Yogi Adityanath govt

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/bihar-encephalitis-deaths-what-nitish-kumar-may-learn-from-yogi-adityanath-govt-1550323-2019-06-17

‘Big shout out to Uttar Pradesh government’, UNICEF lauds CM Adityanath’s DASTAK campaign against Japanese Encephalitis

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/big-shout-out-to-uttar-pradesh-government-unicef-lauds-cm-adityanaths-dastak-campaign-against-japanese-encephalitis/1147716/