Indian fast bowlers who should have played for India more..

9 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

You think that is quick :laugh:  He was probably 130+ in that ball. It felt quick because of a full blooded shot from Slater and the edge flew to Azhar who had the reflexes to grab it. He was also a spray gun and the ball that got this wicket was wide and full asking to be driven. Slater was too early in his innings to play that shot but that shot was on. The only one who bowled with some venom was Srinath

He looks 140k.

Pankaj Singh is the first to come to mind. He had such a good Ranji record, but was one and done for us. Jadeja dropped the chacne he created versus England, and that led to a bloodbath for his figures, but none of our bowlers that match did much and we failed in that match and series versus England as usual. 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:19 PM, Rightarmfast said:

Atul Wassan ( genuine pace )

Salil Ankola ( Fast medium)

Vivek Razdan

Harvinder and Aaron have already been mentioned. I think theres a list of bowlers from early 90's who were also sharp but were hardly given a look in.  Bowlers like Kuruvilla, Robin Singh Jr should have been given chance earlier than they were. At a time when they were still bowling at good pace. 

Atul played just 1 test got wickets..even razdan but why were they not played again?

Why salil was not played..he was tall fast

Pankaj was played at last when he was slow

Abbey kuruvilla was played when he was down in speed.

Salil was said as better than srinath..but he was not supported..

Some incorrect decisions in picking Pacers.

Saini is quick now ..he should play in tests or odi.

Praveen Kumar did play some tests..

Current selectors are involving more Pacers to play for at least one format. Earlier chetan and Kapil blocked even srinath.

Salil Ankola looked like a rare Indian pace bowler in 90s (besides Srinath) and should have been used in Test ( he did play a few ODIs). His spell to Sachin in a Challenger game of 95/96 (Sachin at his best) was phenomenal. He bowled Sachin by sheer pace and movement but unfortunately it was a no ball.

David Johnson was faster version of Madan Lal. Mid 130s at the best with no considerable movement.

1 hour ago, Late Cut said:

Most of the guys mentioned on these posts were horrible bowlers. None of them were quick, and the fast bowling culture was awful till the last 8 years. 

Please clarify.

I agree many of them were not 145k Pacers but the one who played for India regularly during these times were-

Prasad venky

Srinath

Zak.

Earlier kapil

Prabhakar

Chetan Sharma

Munaf Patel did play lot of odi

Irfan

Sreesanth, salil ankola, vrv Singh, David Johnson, rajan and others were not as good as Zak or srinath but similar to others.

1 hour ago, Late Cut said:

Most of the guys mentioned on these posts were horrible bowlers. None of them were quick, and the fast bowling culture was awful till the last 8 years. 

They could have been horrible bowlers. But we didnt exactly have 3 malcolm marshalls bowling in the team either. Compared to the regular bowlers in late 80's and early 90's, the bowlers mentioned were at par, albeit quicker than the bowlers who were given chance - kapil, chetan, prabhakar, madan lal, binny

8 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Please clarify.

I agree many of them were not 145k Pacers but the one who played for India regularly during these times were-

Prasad venky

Srinath

Zak.

Earlier kapil

Prabhakar

Chetan Sharma

Munaf Patel did play lot of odi

Irfan

Sreesanth, salil ankola, vrv Singh, David Johnson, rajan and others were not as good as Zak or srinath but similar to others.

Sreesanth was definitely in league of Zak & Srinath ...he bowled faster than Zak and created movement off the pitch too...his seam position was test book and the spells in SA are all the way up in bowling performance of Indian bowlers in SENA. Now having said that his character and off the field antics didn't do the justice. On other hand Ishant (bowling garbage for most part of his career) did all the right things to remain in the team for over a decade.

18 minutes ago, singhprakash72 said:

Salil Ankola looked like a rare Indian pace bowler in 90s (besides Srinath) and should have been used in Test ( he did play a few ODIs). His spell to Sachin in a Challenger game of 95/96 (Sachin at his best) was phenomenal. He bowled Sachin by sheer pace and movement but unfortunately it was a no ball.

David Johnson was faster version of Madan Lal. Mid 130s at the best with no considerable movement.

Atul Wassan was pretty quick. I reckon Atul Wassan and Ankola may have been as quick as the pakistani bowlers of those times, minus waqar.

34 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Atul Wassan was pretty quick. I reckon Atul Wassan and Ankola may have been as quick as the pakistani bowlers of those times, minus waqar.

:thumbsup:

Atul Wassan's case is also strange... a genuine Indian pace bowler in early 90s and yet he played a handful of tests and ODIs. His figures in his last test and ODI are not bad compared to Kapil or Prabhakar ? The only thing I can think is India played hardly any Tests between 1990 to 1994 ...plus all the matches in India were played with 3-4 spinners. 

Here is the thing i hated Kapil for ...his last 3-2 years just blocked a bowler like Atul, Salil, Ashish to emerge instead we went with Kapil & Prabhakar both down the hill and even Srinath was stand by in those 3 years.

4 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

What about,subrato Banerjee and yograj singh, Salil ankola was a quick but was a spray gun,the stress fracture ended his career and then he joined TV and movies and that's the end of it, yograj was very good but his tussle with Kapil ended his career.

I remember watching a movie in theatre :wall: with Zayed Khan as the hero. Embarrassed to admit that but see disclaimer 

Disclaimer: only watched it to kill time because I had a few hours left for my train and that was playing in the nearest theatre. 

Anyways Salil Ankola was the bad guy in the movie and one of the most pathetic actor I have seen. Made Zayed Khan look like Daniel Day Lewis. 

was a decent bowler though but it is Definitely not Indian film industry gain to have him acting.

Edited by maniac
6 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

What about,subrato Banerjee and yograj singh, Salil ankola was a quick but was a spray gun,the stress fracture ended his career and then he joined TV and movies and that's the end of it, yograj was very good but his tussle with Kapil ended his career.

Do you see the pattern here? Kapil Dev being the common factor dictating to block all upcoming fast bowlers to secure his place. Kapil was instrumental in making sure India never has set of good fast bowlers. And some people here think he was a legend.

23 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

Saw very little of Yograj singh but Subrato Banerjee was slow medium swing bowler..very handy in swinging conditions but would have struggled in subcontinent flat pitches. Salil on other hand was pretty quick and got a decent bounce & movement but was abandoned after 1989 pak tour and resurfaced in 93-96 primarily as ODI bowler .