Ishant's avg 32.94, Zak's 32.95

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Zak the test bowler is incredibly overrated, Shami is already twice the bowler he could ever be. Mediocre till 2007, had a golden run in 2007-10 and then pathetic  in his final 3 years. Don't want to hate on anyone but enough of glorifying the past just for the sake of it. I was a huge fan of Zak post the 2007 Eng series and had a soft corner for him even when he was in sharp decline post 2011. But have to be reasonable here, we hyped him because of our low standards in fast bowling then. 

In ODIs however he was very good. 

Zak was more of an intelligent bowler than a proper fast bowler. He substituted his lack of physical gifts with strategies, but then cricket is a physical sport and not a game of chess, a player who can bowl straight and fast will be more effective than a medium pace bowler with sophisticated guile.

Having seen him unable to realize his true potential for almost 10 years after bursting on scene in 07 Oz tour (that spell to Ponting..sigh), i admit I had written him off as nothing better than a workhorse. Even during SA tour last year, i wasnt happy when he replaced Bhuvi. But something changed since that Eng tour, credit to Gillespie, and in this pink ball test he has outshone Shami & Umesh for me. He is bowling consistently full, improved his wrist position & use of seam so getting away movement too, and saw him hit 140-42 ...all in all, he has looked deadly. Just hope he continues in this mode for next 2 years of SENA tour cycle.

5 hours ago, singhprakash72 said:

Listening to experts looks like his bowling improved after he was dropped from IPL tamasha and One day side few years ago. He had more time to focus on his Test bowling and his stint in County cricket also helped him. But it is a great turn around for a bowler who shouldn't played at club level to an effective fast bowler in all conditions.

That’s very harsh. He started of as a young sensation, had a world of potential. Had some great performances early on but was grossly mismanaged. He started to change his action without anyone monitoring etc. 

Even in our 2011 drubbings, he was the only Indian bowler to pick up a fifer in England ( did PK pick one up too? )and in Australia where everyone sucked, he was our fastest bowler. In fact the fastest bowler on both sides iirc on average speed. He was the man of the series prior to that in WI and did a decent job as the 3rd seamer along with Zak and Sree In SA in 2010.

From 2014 he has been our most consistent  fast bowler before Shami’s second coming and Bumrah’s debut.

As I have said right from the start, he has been underrated. He did fall off on the side a bit and has comeback strong but the world class talent was always there.

Edited by maniac
13 hours ago, express bowling said:

I was not talking about Zak.

I think Zak is the most over-rated Indian bowler ever ... and dislike the fact that he usually operated at less than 100%.

Zak the test bowler maybe a little over rated because he had a very short peak. had a bad start and an average end but for 2-3 years at his peak he was right up there with the best. 

However Zak the Odi bowler is very underrated. He was the most reliable bowler at the death and the start of our innings. From 2007-2011 he was our best Odi bowler, probably the best in the world in that period.

Dont go by stats because those were the days when 300- 350 started becoming the norm