Young upcoming fast bowlers thread.

rkt.india

Darshan Nalkande, as a bowling all-rounder, has interested me for quite some time. He is just 21 years old.

Is a skiddy fast-medium bowler.  Gets some zip off the deck and bowls with effort.  

Has 15 wickets from 8 List A matches at an average of 17.7.   ER of 4.4 

Has 19 wickets from just 9 T20 matches, average of 12.9.

Has a SR of 104 with the bat in List A.

Needs to play for India A.

19 hours ago, express bowling said:

I said new and good bowler.

Both Saini and Siraj are ready for tests.

But no good 140+ pacer has been groomed for ODIs.  Need to try Saini, Prasidh and Mavi.

The three pacers mauling weaker opposition in the current home season has now meant no new pacer will be picked for the next 12-18 months. They have suddenly brought Shami back for T20Is, likewise they will pick Bhuvi for Tests as the 5th pacer if need be. By then both Saini and Siraj would have lost motivation, energy and form grinding it out in the domestic circuit.

3 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

The three pacers mauling weaker opposition in the current home season has now meant no new pacer will be picked for the next 12-18 months.  They have suddenly brought Shami back for T20Is, likewise they will pick Bhuvi for Tests as the 5th pacer if need be. By then both Saini and Siraj would have lost motivation, energy and form grinding it out in the domestic circuit.

I share the same concerns.

Tests --

It all looks very hunky-dory now. 

But Bumrah's fitness status in February cannot be predicted exactly. Come January, it is possible that they may say that he needs 2 more months off.

Umesh's performance is not guaranteed in tests outside Asia or with non SG balls.

Bhuvi has been physically unfit for 5 day cricket after his injury after SA 2018. Even in ODIs, he is barely scraping through in terms of fitness and there are accusations regarding mishandling of his recovery process. Anyway, he is hardly played on flat tracks even when fit, and rightly so.

That leaves us with only 2 fit and tested fast bowlers for NZ.  What if one of them has a niggle !  (  Shami playing all 3 formats shows even lesser foresight now. Why is he in the T20I squad. ?  )

How I wish we had tested one of Siraj or Saini against a very weak team this home season !

ODIs --

Leaving out Shami. In red hot form,  for the crucial WC SF,  shows the mindset regarding pacer choice.  Safer and more economical bowlers over proven wicket takers.

IMHO having 2 shorter swing bowlers and a part-time military medium seamer ... as 3 of the 4 pace bowlers ... is making the pace bowling attack too pop gun like.  We won't have enough strike bowlers once the novelty factor of the 2 new seamers wear off and batters become used to them.

Pacers with the ability to hit the deck hard ... even if they are operating at 135 kph for the time being ... have the ability to get more consistent seam movement and bounce from flatter decks. But we are filling our team with floaty swing bowlers. Having one good swing bowler in the mix is a good idea but can't have an attack filled with them.

With the WC 4 years ago, now is the ideal time to test good young fast bowlers who are performing in List-A. 

T20Is --

Why has Shami been picked ? 

He was never a good T20 pacer.  Even if they think that he has improved in this format, playing him in all 3 formats is over working him.

Edited by express bowling
6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Sushant probably quickest of the group.

None are genuine quicks as of today.  May become faster later though.

All 3 look fast-medium now.

Akash's ability to get late swing interests me.

Kartik T gets some bounce and movement.

Sushant has looked one dimensional in the the couple of matches I have watched him in.

But youngsters often improve by leaps and bounds in a short time. So, let's see.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

None are genuine quicks as of today.  May become faster later though.

All 3 look fast-medium now.

Akash's ability to get late swing interests me.

Kartik T gets some bounce and movement.

Sushant has looked one dimensional in the the couple of matches I have watched him in.

But youngsters often improve by leaps and bounds in a short time. So, let's see.

Sushant has classical left arm action and swings the ball even more than Akash. For India u19, he usually bowls with the older ball.

Here is 2 year old clip of inswing he gets. That is what had me interested in his bowling when he was 16. There were more videos. I had made a thread as well predicting this boy will play India u19 soon.

27 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Sushant has classical left arm action and swings the ball even more than Akash. For India u19, he usually bowls with the older ball.

Here is 2 year old clip of inswing he gets. That is what had me interested in his bowling when he was 16. There were more videos. I had made a thread as well predicting this boy will play India u19 soon.

Clips are sometimes misleading as they show the best deliveries.

Seeing both Akash and Sushant bowling multiple overs in actual matches ... Akash's bowling looked more incisive.

Now, as I said above, it is quite possible that Sushant becomes much better by the time he plays U19 WC. I hope he does because he seems to have the will to bowl with effort.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Clips are sometimes misleading as they show the best deliveries.

Seeing both Akash and Sushant bowling multiple overs in actual matches ... Akash's bowling looked more incisive.

Now, as I said above, it is quite possible that Sushant becomes much better by the time he plays U19 WC. I hope he does because he seems to have the will to bowl with effort.

But these clips do show the skills a bowler has. We can't judge a bowler in a whole with these clips. Akash for what I have seen has tendency to spray the ball and be expensive. 

Regarding pace, likes of Koti and Mavi have us become greedy. We aren't going to get 140-145 bowlers in u19 often. Those two are/were just a rare breed. All three, Akash, Kartik, Sushant, I consider them quite quick for their level that is u19. 

Mavi-Koti were express for that level. You hardly get 1-2 such bowlers in an entire u19 WC who clock 145. Example we had Jamie overton in 2012, rabada 2014, alzari Joseph in 2016, Mavi-Koti and probably that Pak bowler Musa in 2018. 

Edited by rkt.india
26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

But these clips do show the skills a bowler has. We can't judge a bowler in a whole with these clips. Akash for what I have seen has tendency to spray the ball and be expensive. 

Akash is a wicket taking bowler who moves the ball both ways and is decently accurate. I have seen enough of his bowling to know he doesn't spray the ball around often as you are making it sound. Only in the recent challenger U19 match he was a bit expensive early on when Jaiswal went after him. These guys are young and going for runs in an odd match is not much of a concern.

7 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Akash is a wicket taking bowler who moves the ball both ways and is decently accurate. I have seen enough of his bowling to know he doesn't spray the ball around often as you are making it sound. Only in the recent challenger U19 match he was a bit expensive early on when Jaiswal went after him. These guys are young and going for runs in an odd match is not much of a concern.

I didn't say he is expensive every game.  I said he has tendency to spray. There was one game recently where he went for 86 in 10 overs.  He to me seems unpredictable. He is still a good prospect.