Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

• Sylvester Clarke
    • Michael Holding
    • Mitchelle Johnson
    • Alan Donald
    • Waqar Younus
    • Shoaib Akhtar
    • Shane Bond
    • Patrick Paterson
    • Jeff Thomson
    • Harold Laarwood
    • Dale Steyn
    • Mitchelle Stark
    • Shaun Tait
    • Brett Lee
    • Andy Roberts

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

to think that along with them there was Bond Fidel and Sami who could touch almost similar speeds . what a time

It is possible that in the 2003 to 2009 era, the speed guns were jacked up a bit in some series and some tournaments.   Otherwise, Starc and Gsbriel look as quick or quicker than these pacers but do not touch similar high speeds as them. 

I remember that in 1999 to 2002 period ... when speed guns were used for the first time ball by ball in most matches and shown on TV  ... there was disappointment that bowlers were not touching the coveted very high speeds.  After that, it is possible that some tweaks were done on speed guns to bring about excitement among viewers.

From 2011 or thereabouts, when high-speed cameras were regularly used in international matches ... and measured bowling speeds absolutely correctly ... this practice had to be done away with in most international matches.

8 hours ago, maniac said:

So in that time frame are you telling me there were bowlers quicker than Donald?

Please don’t say Srinath. He had a brief peak in mid 96-99 and then again found his mojo in the 2000s towards the end when he finally figured out fast bowling. He wasn’t quick but he was a very smart bowler and didn’t lose much pace even though wasn’t as fast as he was in his prime.

Devon Malcolm and Patrick Patterson might have had an odd series here or there against fellow white teams which makes them hype them to the moon. In fact I remember pat Patterson for the funny action and  he seemed to have scared a few poms that’s about it. I was too young to remember his career.

Devon Malcolm well I never saw him bowl quick. I can’t give him the benefit of doubt like say Malcolm Marshall who was a trundler by the time I started following cricket in 92 because he was at the end of his career.

Ambrose had great line and length and bounce at 135-140 clicks. He was never express. He was probably a little quicker and taller version of Mcgrath.

Well, he was the fastest around 95-97. 

Devon and Patterson were just as quick as Shoaib and Lee. Or almost. 

Thats exactly the point I am making about Ambrose. He would bowl 140's, but his awkward bounce, body language was too much to take for the batsmen. I dare say he was scarier than Donald. 

8 hours ago, maniac said:

So in that time frame are you telling me there were bowlers quicker than Donald?

Please don’t say Srinath. He had a brief peak in mid 96-99 and then again found his mojo in the 2000s towards the end when he finally figured out fast bowling. He wasn’t quick but he was a very smart bowler and didn’t lose much pace even though wasn’t as fast as he was in his prime.

Also, just to add, the 2 best people who can judge a bowlers pace are the - 1) Umpires;  - 2) Wicket Keepers; 

Now, apart from international cricket, Srinath played county for Gloucestershire and umpires like Dickie Bird claimed he was the fastest. And on records said that he was faster than Donald. And so did the team mates of Srinath and oppositions said so. I dont have those articles anymore, but trust me I am not lying. 

Nayan Mongia during that time, had many a times said that Srinath was faster than the West Indian bowlers. 

For the lack of evidence, I would say, just trust me.  I am not making this up, I have actually read all these articles. 

41 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Also, just to add, the 2 best people who can judge a bowlers pace are the - 1) Umpires;  - 2) Wicket Keepers; 

Now, apart from international cricket, Srinath played county for Gloucestershire and umpires like Dickie Bird claimed he was the fastest. And on records said that he was faster than Donald. And so did the team mates of Srinath and oppositions said so. I dont have those articles anymore, but trust me I am not lying. 

Nayan Mongia during that time, had many a times said that Srinath was faster than the West Indian bowlers. 

For the lack of evidence, I would say, just trust me.  I am not making this up, I have actually read all these articles. 

https://www.cricketsoccer.com/2018/08/24/javagal-srinath-the-forgotten-indian-pacer/

4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Well, he was the fastest around 95-97. 

Devon and Patterson were just as quick as Shoaib and Lee. Or almost. 

Thats exactly the point I am making about Ambrose. He would bowl 140's, but his awkward bounce, body language was too much to take for the batsmen. I dare say he was scarier than Donald. 

Don't think Devon and Malcolm were as quick. they were fast but not Lee, Akhtar fast.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Remove the helmets and safety gears from batsmen of today, and see them jumping around at the prospect of facing Deepak Chahar, let alone a Shami! 

What they were doing here was bodyline. Against the spirit of the game. Notice how Michael Holding in this interview said they were bowling at a pace of 88-91 miles. Never did he say 95 miles. 

140+ is enough to seriously injure a batsman. Thats why, its doubtful whether these bowlers were as fast as they are projeced to be. 

Also, lets not forget Shoaib Akhtars spells in 98 against India. Indian batsmen were not able to see the ball at that speed. But, Shoaib only started bowling consistent 150+ post 99/2000. So, in all possibility, Shoaib was still bowling around 145-152 in the first encounter against India which is kind of usual by todays standards. 

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

140+ is enough to seriously injure a batsman. Thats why, its doubtful whether these bowlers were as fast as they are projeced to be. 

True.

Some pacers get marketed for their high speeds while others don't.

Here is a list of pacers with highest % deliveries above 140 k in tests in 2018 ----

1. Starc.           71%

2. Gabriel         50%

3. Bumrah        46%

3. Cummins.    46%

5. Kumara.       38%

6. Rabada.       34%

7. Hazlewood  31%

8. Shami.          29%

9. Boult.            27%

10. Morkel.      12%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18.com/cricketnext/amp/news/india-vs-australia-cricviz-analysis-what-makes-bumrah-so-good-1988923.html

--- Rabada is this big fast bowler ... but Lahiru Kumara of Sri Lanka had bowled a higher % of deliveries above 140 k in a whole year.

---  Very few people would name Shannon Gabriel as one of the quickest WI pacers. But this guy sends down 50% of deliveries at 140 k + in test matches ... and this is very high speed.

Edited by express bowling
24 minutes ago, express bowling said:

True.

Some pacers get marketed for their high speeds while others don't.

Here is a list of pacers with highest % deliveries above 140 k in tests in 2018 ----

1. Starc.           71%

2. Gabriel         50%

3. Bumrah        46%

3. Cummins.    46%

5. Kumara.       38%

6. Rabada.       34%

7. Hazlewood  31%

8. Shami.          29%

9 Boult.             27%

10. Morkel.      12%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news18.com/cricketnext/amp/news/india-vs-australia-cricviz-analysis-what-makes-bumrah-so-good-1988923.html

--- Rabada is this big fast bowler ... but Lahiru Kumara of Sri Lanka had bowled a higher % of deliveries above 140 k in a whole year.

---  Very few people would name Shannon Gabriel as one of the quickest WI pacers. But this guy sends down 50% of deliveries at 140 k + in test matches ... and this is very high speed.

Perfect example of Perception vs reality!

Pace list dominated by Akhtar  followed by Lee and than Waqar and random deliveries from some other names. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/95065.html

This isnt complete btw as i saw akhtat hit 158 - 160 multiple times in a match against England let alone career. I can share the video here. 

Quite a few readings missing here. 

Edited by the don
15 minutes ago, the don said:

Pace list dominated by Akhtar  followed by Lee

Everyone here agrees about this part.

No dispute here.

and than Waqar and random deliveries from some other names. 

There are just 2 deliveries by Waqar over 150 kph ... fastest being 153 k. 

And those are the discussed higher speeds of Waqar in this thread.  (  Nowhere near the Akhtar / Lee range  )

P.s - This list has not been updated after the year 2002 or thereabouts.

Edited by express bowling