Poor migrant laborers walking home all over India need to be helped

sandeep

Delhi Government's handling of this issue is shambolic. And very risky for the hinterlands.

In comparison, Uddhav Thackeray's government has handled the migrant labour issue in a better manner. Anganwadi workers, the Brahmakumaris & the Homeguard all have been mobilised and camps have been set up in some schools and in railway guest houses. 

Yes, there was rush on the days around the Janta Curfew at CST and Kurla stations, but overall they've planned this quite well.

Not a fan of the Thackerays or their politics, but credit where due. Uddhav Thackeray has thus far been a good leader during the crisis.

21 hours ago, Norman said:

I have a friend from a humble background who works on movie sets. He said he had to walk three hours straight to get home from the location due to the lack of public transport. Poor guy walked 35 Kms in 3 hours. :nervous:

I find that hard to believe, that sounds like a mini sprint/marathon of sorts. But yeah there should've been clear provisions for people such as him

27 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Delhi Government's handling of this issue is shambolic. And very risky for the hinterlands.

In comparison, Uddhav Thackeray's government has handled the migrant labour issue in a better manner. Anganwadi workers, the Brahmakumaris & the Homeguard all have been mobilised and camps have been set up in some schools and in railway guest houses. 

Yes, there was rush on the days around the Janta Curfew at CST and Kurla stations, but overall they've planned this quite well.

Not a fan of the Thackerays or their politics, but credit where due. Uddhav Thackeray has thus far been a good leader during the crisis.

I mean what can we expect from Khujli..the fact that hes dumping 1000s of labourers in UP shows this man will always blame others for problems

33 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

I find that hard to believe, that sounds like a mini sprint/marathon of sorts. But yeah there should've been clear provisions for people such as him

You can easily cover a km in 5 minutes if you are a speed walker. 

1 hour ago, NameGoesHere said:

Yes but to keep that speed for 3 hours - which is almost what he did if he walked 35 kilometres in 3 hours) - is remarkable.

Yeah he even tracked his journey on Google maps. 34 Kms in 3 hrs and 10 something minutes. 

40 minutes ago, Norman said:

Yeah he even tracked his journey on Google maps. 34 Kms in 3 hrs and 10 something minutes. 

there's no way your 'friend' walked that long in such a short period of time. :no: people wanting to get home don't 'power walk' at 12kph. but anyways this has hit some people who needed to get from point a to point b.

Edited by rollingstoned

What is wrong with the delhi government, why are they letting this happen ? Why are they misinforming them that there are 200 buses waiting for them?

Just stacking them up in the DTC buses and dropping them like flies at anand vihar (UP border) bus terminal .

I know that kejriwal sees this is as a chance to get rid of the UP-BIhar labour migrants but this is not the time to just leave so many people as if they are nothing !

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Lets be honest enough to admit that this is a problem that the govts did not anticipate, or plan for. And are only now responding to, after negative media coverage.  

This . Neither government was prepared for this , let's be honest not even you and me thought this would happen .

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people marching back to their home states (1000kms away) with their small children and wives by walking .

Now best idea is to quickly arrange buses from anand vihar to their respective cities . Now the other tangent might be that other state migrants might demand the same 

Just pray to god that none of them got the virus !

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Khujliwal proving to be a loyal servant for his handlers. The Western thugs might just get the epidemic they were wishing for with this chaos.

Been saying this for years, he's a big fraud !

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Buddy one can't walk at that speed, must have involved some running as well. Waise that timing is excellent, he can give some elite sportsmen a tough run in marathon race. Many elite tennis and football players would be pleased with that timing. Requires a great deal of training/conditioning to maintain 10 kph for over 3 hours. 

Edited by Gollum