Japanese ate Indian PoWs, used them as live targets in WWII

Gollum

Japanese were pretty brutal back in the day. They committed various atrocities against the Chinese as well, i.e Nanjing Massacre also known as the Rape of Nanjing.

It's quite a difference compared to the Japanese of today, whom are among one of the most peaceful and polite people in the world.

24 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Makes me think that Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing was the karmic effect the country had to face for inhuman actions against Indian POWs and Nanjing massacre.

I know it's an asshole thing to say, but...

It was not karmic effect. It was result of attacking the powerful nation. History is full of genocide and massacres with no karmic effect. 

Islamic invaders did massacres and killings of non muslims from past 1400 years , result Islam is followed by 2 billion people. Where is the karmic effect ?

India is the greatest country, morally, spiritually. We never waged wars elsewhere, even Cholas never indulged in genocide campaigns, just spread their influence/culture in East Asia and came back to India after giving back power to locals. Whatever little we did was for self-defence, never proactively sought to start wars. We sent our best minds elsewhere to share our knowledge like Bodhidharma to China. Not in our nature to profit from miseries of others, dharmics esp Hindus/Sikhs/Jains are cut from a different cloth. Yet non-stop smear campaign against us by so called intellectuals, West, Islamists. We have only known suffering for millennia, exploited/persecuted/humiliated by every dog under the sun, our ancestors loved and respected those who did them harm, believed in ahimsa/satyagraha/destiny/vasudhaiva kutumbakam, yet we are the bad guys. Wish to see us adopt a more militant approach one day, restraint beyond a point is cowardice, Gandhi has made wimps out of our people and his BS was as recent as 20th century. 

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

India is the greatest country, morally, spiritually. We never waged wars elsewhere, even Cholas never indulged in genocide campaigns, just spread their influence/culture in East Asia and came back to India after giving back power to locals. Whatever little we did was for self-defence, never proactively sought to start wars. We sent our best minds elsewhere to share our knowledge like Bodhidharma to China. Not in our nature to profit from miseries of others, dharmics esp Hindus/Sikhs/Jains are cut from a different cloth. Yet non-stop smear campaign against us by so called intellectuals, West, Islamists. We have only known suffering for millennia, exploited/persecuted/humiliated by every dog under the sun, our ancestors loved and respected those who did them harm, believed in ahimsa/satyagraha/destiny/vasudhaiva kutumbakam, yet we are the bad guys. Wish to see us adopt a more militant approach one day, restraint beyond a point is cowardice, Gandhi has made wimps out of our people and his BS was as recent as 20th century. 

Well, India has never invaded other countries yes, but there has been wars and invasions among Indian kingdoms and between different kingdoms. Yes, the number is very less compared to every other country, which is why you could say it has been the most peaceful. But no land, has ever been free of invasions or wars. I am not talking about India in terms of mughal/islamic invasions or the European colonization , that doesn't need to be explained. There were a select few hindu and buddhist rulers of indian kingdoms who did invade and plunder, with some cases of genocide. So our record isn't blemish free either, but it is better than other countries. Japan during the 18-1900s were horrible,  or else their record would've been better. China became aggressive during the last 80 or so years, because of Mao and  Communism , prior to that, there were only some emperors who were cruel, overall better compared to the west. Even the Aboriginals , and among Native american tribes there were constant fighting among tribes. I don't even need to mention the Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations.

Overall the most peaceful has been India

China prior to 1900s would have been second, but the last 80 years has made a major dent, I would still place them above the Europeans, Islamic invaders, and America.

@I6MTW based on South Korean movies I watch it seems Japs and Chinese kept on waging wars against the Koreans in medieval era, Japs via sea route and Chinese via land. Otherwise I don't know much about their history prior to 20th century. 

Another thing I don't think other countries had faith systems, ideologies, doctrines related to non-violence, moderation, karma like our case. Look at the teachings of all Indic religions, share a common theme which is absent in Abrahamic faith systems. Even the Buddhism that was exported to East Asia got combined with local systems like Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Communism..............OTOH Jainism aka the big daddy of ahimsa tempered down the violent strain in our other dharmic religions in India. 

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

@I6MTW based on South Korean movies I watch it seems Japs and Chinese kept on waging wars against the Koreans in medieval era, Japs via sea route and Chinese via land. Otherwise I don't know much about their history prior to 20th century. 

Another thing I don't think other countries had faith systems, ideologies, doctrines related to non-violence, moderation, karma like our case. Look at the teachings of all Indic religions, share a common theme which is absent in Abrahamic faith systems. Even the Buddhism that was exported to East Asia got combined with local systems like Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Communism..............OTOH Jainism aka the big daddy of ahimsa tempered down the violent strain in our other dharmic religions in India. 

Well even if they had faith systems, ideologies of peace and compassion, benevolence, live and let live policies, most of the western rulers hadn't followed them , eg. In Western Europe during the dark ages, everything was controlled by the Church , what the church said, goes. It's not as if they were following their own religion's concept of dharma and karma etc, I'm sure most of the texts in the Bible were mis represented, and mis translated by men in order to propagate their own political agenda. If you compare it to Jesus's teachings, he advocated peace and compassion for all. But, that's not what the rulers and kingdoms followed right?

I can be sure this case applies to other civilizations and their religious beliefs. As for Islam, well I am not really sure what to say, because on one hand you have accounts that say, most of the radical islamization , cruel behaviour, persecution of other religions, etc is promoted in the Quran, but other accounts say it was self created by Muslims to satisfy their own political agenda and to help in conversion, actual texts do not promote that etc So I cannot comment on that. 

Edited by I6MTW

Japanese war crimes are still under reported with little awareness of the horrific and mentally savage experiments they did on humans, especially the Chinese. It understandable China's shame and hunger for power and avenge humiliation in last 100 years.

The Japanese were and are still in most cases one of the most racist populations.

As for WWII Japanese war crimes, just read it into Unit 731.

..warning not for the faint hearted, the experimental stuff they did on Chinese subjects will make you shiver and go sleepless.

4 hours ago, I6MTW said:

here were a select few hindu and buddhist rulers of indian kingdoms who did invade and plunder, with some cases of genocide. So our record isn't blemish free either, but it is better than other countries.

Large part of pre-Islamic Indian history is not accurately depicted. Historians have used it to justify invasions. Aryan Invasion was propagated to justify colonialization. But if you read historic accounts by Dharmic historians, the territorial expansions were limited to Kings trying to outreach their influence on other Kings. It was not influenced by race, identity, language, culture etc. If empires were huge, it meant that the kingdoms would fight wars amongst armies and citizenry was spared of any violence. Temples were looted mainly to get the deity to their land and build bigger temples. Kings defeated, if not dead, would surrender and pay tax or submit their allegiance. The first few records of genocide was from Asoka era when he found that ordinary citizens came to war, a lot were massacred. Even the Kharavela/Haathigumpha inscription in Orissa matches the story. But for a few like those, Dharma was followed by all kings and fought amongst each others' armies and not involving farmers, businessmen, ordinary citizens. Hence, even with such boundaries, freedom of thought was followed. Without such a system, the stories of Mahabharata/Ramayana would not be spread across all over India to as remote as Rameswaram , Manipur, Dwarka and Kashmir. There was cultural unity, when ordinary people would travel freely to other kingdoms, trade was allowed, pilgrimages were allowed for people to go to far off Kashi from deep southern states.  This civilization was very unique from other barbaric , expansionist regimes that  were in other regions at the same time. Talking about pre-medieval era before Islamic invasion of India.

20 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Well even if they had faith systems, ideologies of peace and compassion, benevolence, live and let live policies, most of the western rulers hadn't followed them , eg. In Western Europe during the dark ages, everything was controlled by the Church , what the church said, goes. It's not as if they were following their own religion's concept of dharma and karma etc,

What you read about Jesus is the what Christians call New testament, it is dated as far as 800 AD. Before that it was as expansionist as Islam. The empires of Rome adopted Christianity as late as 4th century, political superiority of the religion was established in vatican with Pope as the religious head. All the peace and tranquility of Jesus message is after Christian reformed much after the medieval period when different sects of Christianity came about (Martin Luther) and tolerance of each other sects had to established, so the Church started preaching secularism. 

21 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I can be sure this case applies to other civilizations and their religious beliefs. As for Islam, well I am not really sure what to say, because on one hand you have accounts that say, most of the radical islamization , cruel behaviour, persecution of other religions, etc is promoted in the Quran, but other accounts say it was self created by Muslims to satisfy their own political agenda and to help in conversion, actual texts do not promote that etc

Islam from Mohd's time went around butchering people in a My-way-or-highway philosophy. They went around converting ordinary people, kings, soldiers spreading fear. Texts were introduced much later than Mohd, spreading stories of his message 100 years after he died, just like Bible was written somewhere around 3rd of 4th century.  After a few regions were occupied, some reform of thought was allowed in the name of Sufism , mainly to spread the religion in other parts where invasion of armies were difficult to conquer. Sufism although talks about universalism of humanity, still has Allah in it's core belief, except that there was no hard rules about his worship as Sunni/Shias would enforce. Sufis don't say Ram is also worthy of worship apart from Allah. They will be charged with Blasphemy by Mullah and called non-Muslims as they do in Pak. Nothing to be compared with wars among Indian kings you mention earlier. 

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Large part of pre-Islamic Indian history is not accurately depicted. Historians have used it to justify invasions. Aryan Invasion was propagated to justify colonialization. But if you read historic accounts by Dharmic historians, the territorial expansions were limited to Kings trying to outreach their influence on other Kings. It was not influenced by race, identity, language, culture etc. If empires were huge, it meant that the kingdoms would fight wars amongst armies and citizenry was spared of any violence. Temples were looted mainly to get the deity to their land and build bigger temples. Kings defeated, if not dead, would surrender and pay tax or submit their allegiance. The first few records of genocide was from Asoka era when he found that ordinary citizens came to war, a lot were massacred. Even the Kharavela/Haathigumpha inscription in Orissa matches the story. But for a few like those, Dharma was followed by all kings and fought amongst each others' armies and not involving farmers, businessmen, ordinary citizens. Hence, even with such boundaries, freedom of thought was followed. Without such a system, the stories of Mahabharata/Ramayana would not be spread across all over India to as remote as Rameswaram , Manipur, Dwarka and Kashmir. There was cultural unity, when ordinary people would travel freely to other kingdoms, trade was allowed, pilgrimages were allowed for people to go to far off Kashi from deep southern states.  This civilization was very unique from other barbaric , expansionist regimes that  were in other regions at the same time. Talking about pre-medieval era before Islamic invasion of India.

What you read about Jesus is the what Christians call New testament, it is dated as far as 800 AD. Before that it was as expansionist as Islam. The empires of Rome adopted Christianity as late as 4th century, political superiority of the religion was established in vatican with Pope as the religious head. All the peace and tranquility of Jesus message is after Christian reformed much after the medieval period when different sects of Christianity came about (Martin Luther) and tolerance of each other sects had to established, so the Church started preaching secularism. 

Islam from Mohd's time went around butchering people in a My-way-or-highway philosophy. They went around converting ordinary people, kings, soldiers spreading fear. Texts were introduced much later than Mohd, spreading stories of his message 100 years after he died, just like Bible was written somewhere around 3rd of 4th century.  After a few regions were occupied, some reform of thought was allowed in the name of Sufism , mainly to spread the religion in other parts where invasion of armies were difficult to conquer. Sufism although talks about universalism of humanity, still has Allah in it's core belief, except that there was no hard rules about his worship as Sunni/Shias would enforce. Sufis don't say Ram is also worthy of worship apart from Allah. They will be charged with Blasphemy by Mullah and called non-Muslims as they do in Pak. Nothing to be compared with wars among Indian kings you mention earlier. 

All I agree. Now when it comes to your explanation of hindu/buddhist rulers way of invasion and conquering and avenging war was different, what about rulers such as Pushyamitra Shunga, and Mihirakula who persecuted Buddhist monks and destroyed their scriptures and temples? Their actions can be found in ancient buddhist texts. And Raghoji I Bhonsle as well. Of course these rulers can be considered as outliers compared to the general norms of Hindu rulers of that time. So I agree with most of what you have said, but just that there were exceptions that have occurred.  

Yeah this is a dark chapter.. we never publicised the crimes against humanity that Japan committed like how the Jews did. Indian pows and ina was made to build 650 km of tunnels in 2 years and were used as mules during allied bombardment.  This is the **** a people will go through if the nation is not strong. Never again shall this happen cause now when **** hits the roof Galwan happens our boy will break necks and rip throats :winky:

On 10/6/2020 at 6:36 AM, coffee_rules said:

I am not saying these were false stories, but some similar to this were spread in the west propagating a narrative that Japanese will never surrender. And the only solution is to bomb their cities and justification to use the atom bomb on hapless civilians. War is a savage place.

If US ever takes the moral high ground on war, I will barf. US foreign policies over the decades have resulted in millions of death starting from the atom bomb drops on Japan to the wars that still go on. US needs to just stop meddling. I consider Bush Jr., Cheney and Rumsfeld to be war criminals. Donald Trump is a disgusting person, but he did not wage illegal wars of the same scale. In fact, he probably bombed less than Obama did, who is a Nobel Peace Laureate - a total sham!

On 10/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, Vilander said:

Yeah this is a dark chapter.. we never publicised the crimes against humanity that Japan committed like how the Jews did. Indian pows and ina was made to build 650 km of tunnels in 2 years and were used as mules during allied bombardment.  This is the **** a people will go through if the nation is not strong. Never again shall this happen cause now when **** hits the roof Galwan happens our boy will break necks and rip throats :winky:

Depressingly true