The Mumbai Thread

Cricketics

So I thought about starting this city based threads on ICF where locals or peoole who lived in the city or have visited the city which is the thread for, can come and talk about all the good stuff about the city/state to inspire other people to travel there. Basically whatever you want to talk about the city, can be shared here. 

Yes, its fine to share the negatives too but the idea is to put as much positive info about the place as possisble. From museums, to night life to food, restaurants, parks - share all. I  believe each Indian city has plenty of things which many of us must know about. 

I couldn’t think of a better place than Bombay to start this thread with. We have a lot

of posters from Bombay. Also it has been a sought after city in India, financial capital and above all, it is the home of cricket in India.

So Mumbaikars and everyone else, please share all the good things about your city. 

Tagging few people who I know are Mumbaikars or have lived in Bombay at some point. @Ankit_sharma03 @G_B_@Laaloo @zen @Mariyam@Rajiv

Bombay - not Mumbai for me, and that too the old school 80s and 90s where it was pure romance - I could breathe but my 1st trip after 10 year was in 2012.

I wanted the GTFO as soon as possible from what seemed like a garbage pool which needed cleaning with one of those harpiks

However, I miss it day n night and still flirt the idea that if I hit that Jackpot, I will go back but this could be Dhoni ka kutta na ghar na ghat ka syndrome

5 hours ago, Rajiv said:

Bombay - not Mumbai for me, and that too the old school 80s and 90s where it was pure romance - I could breathe but my 1st trip after 10 year was in 2012.

I wanted the GTFO as soon as possible from what seemed like a garbage pool which needed cleaning with one of those harpiks

However, I miss it day n night and still flirt the idea that if I hit that Jackpot, I will go back but this could be Dhoni ka kutta na ghar na ghat ka syndrome

Everyone from Bombay seem to have great Bollywood knowledge. It seems anyone I meet from Bomay would know everything about Bollywood - lyrics of every song made in Bollywood or might have even seen pretty much every movie, which frankly is quite impressive. Bollywood has sort of seeped into Bombay's day to day life and culture perhaps? 

Also the Marathi speaking people are extremely proud of their language and are really trying their best to preserve their language since it could be on decline as Bombay becomes more and more Hinglish speaking as migrants continue to settle down. I honestly like this. It is important to preserve the native languages. Doubt the same pride for a language appears among people of other cities or states. TN comes the closest. 

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Grown up in Chandigarh , use to come to Mumbai in summer holidays ...i knew back then only this is the place ill settle down.

Best city to live in - its fast paced, its ruthless, ppl mind their own business & it never sleeps ....the only thing i hate is its super expensive 

Yeah. sounds very much like New York too. There iso often the comparison made with New York. Frankly I feel NY is overrated and Mumbai is perhaps more livable.

Similarities with NY

- Both on Island,

- Both cities also known for movie industry or places where lot of movies are shot.

- Financial capitals

Difference

More Crime in NY than Bombay

Bombay surely is more religious than NY

I feel Bombay would be way better place to live than NY. There is a lot to see and enjoy in Bombay than it is in NY.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Yeah. sounds very much like New York too. There iso often the comparison made with New York. Frankly I feel NY is overrated and Mumbai is perhaps more livable.

Similarities with NY

- Both on Island,

- Both cities also known for movie industry or places where lot of movies are shot.

- Financial capitals

Difference

More Crime in NY than Bombay

Bombay surely is more religious than NY

I feel Bombay would be way better place to live than NY. There is a lot to see and enjoy in Bombay than it is in NY.

Really? I feel New York is one of the safest big cities to live. Mumbai had too much of underworld/gang connection, though it seems to have decline in the years.

The crime rate in NYC has declined since the 80s.

NY is more vibrant than Mumbai, and has a much diverse background and a much better nightlife. 

Mumbai does have a better suburbs/surroundings though. Lots of weekend getaways and hill stations. Though New York is proximal to New England and pretty much the entire northeastern states. 

Go to Yazdani Bakery for amazing bakery items like cakes and buns. It is at walking distance from Churchgate station. Go to Sassanian restaurant mear Marine Lines station if you like Parsi food. All the Iranian eateries have that old Bombay charm to it. Just don't drive there, no parking space. Take a local train or Uber/Ola.

Right now due to covid you won't have the freedom to enjoy Mumbai much, everything is shut. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:27 PM, I6MTW said:

Really? I feel New York is one of the safest big cities to live. Mumbai had too much of underworld/gang connection, though it seems to have decline in the years.

NY is more vibrant than Mumbai, and has a much diverse background and a much better nightlife. 

Mumbai does have a better suburbs/surroundings though. Lots of weekend getaways and hill stations. Though New York is proximal to New England and pretty much the entire northeastern states. 

New York is way more intense than Mumbai when it comes to energy consumption, those digital billboards never get rest. 

I'm in Navi Mumbai. To outsiders it's part of Mumbai itself. Although I consider lucky to be living here. It's much cleaner than the main city, especially the Railway stations are well maintained. 

D. Y. Patil stadium. I live near it and it's a tragedy it doesn't get to hold any intl cricket matches. It's one of the best stadia In India. Unfortunately, with a lack of 5 star hotel in Navi Mumbai cricketers hv to travel around 90 minutes to reach the stadium which was the reason giving at that time. 

Pls don't kill me if you are one of the. Mumbai > navi Mumbai guy. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

@Cricketics You want to know about Museums? Really?

:phehe:

:((Why, kaunse sterotypes leke baithe ho? :giggle: But yeah, time has changed. I am more of history/science guy now than what i used to be. I always held interest, but could not push myself to go and spend time in museums. DC has amazing museums which I hardly used to visit in first 15 years. However, when I decided to take some time off from cricket, i found passion in visiting museums etc for history. I guess everything has time.  i feel I have spent my energy enough in watching and playing cricket and done enough things which I was passionate about, so now i seem to enjoy other things equally and don't mind missing out on a cricket game to visit a some cool museum instead which has great history associated to it. 

I always wanted to visit Bombay, i was there in 1996 as a kid I think. My brother resides there now. He left NYC for Bombay. 

On 11/12/2020 at 11:57 AM, I6MTW said:

I spent a lot of time in NY and I do agree that a lot of it is safe, but it has it crime zones. Regarding being vibrant, it depends which parts. May be I just find it overrated because i see it gets too many tourists whenever I visIt and they all wander around Times Square all day taking useless selfies. I like the energy in the city from the locals, won't deny that However. I start noticing that as soon as I get off from Amtrak and come out of Penn Station in Manhattan, after 25 mins of getting to where i need to go, It starts to feel just all old, cramped, dirty, people approaching you trying to scam you. City has lost it. 

NY isn't same for me what it used to be. 

Ohkk I get it, you guys won IPL. Fine, does that mean you keep gloating for the rest of the year? Bombay this, Bambi that, Ambani twat, always trying to bring forth anything remotely attached to the city, gimme a break. Your heroes Daddy and Baby Penguins make news every day, only so much Moooombai us rest of Indians can tolerate every *ing day. 

And tics is a Trojan Horse, confirmed. History is replete with examples of how the gates of a well-guarded citadel were opened from inside, to let in the enemy. Unfortunately DC was betrayed from within, a true DC fan would never appreciate Bambis/Mumbai so soon after that loss, this is worse than Kohli's antics with Damaad-e-Hind.

Edited by Gollum

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Ohkk I get it, you guys won IPL. Fine, does that mean you keep gloating for the rest of the year? Bombay this, Bambi that, Ambani twat, always trying to bring forth anything remotely attached to the city, gimme a break. Your heroes Daddy and Baby Penguins make news every day, only so much Moooombai us rest of Indians can tolerate every *ing day. 

And tics is a Trojan Horse, confirmed. History is replete with examples of how the gates of a well-guarded citadel were opened from inside, to let in the enemy. Unfortunately DC was betrayed from within, a true DC fan would never appreciate Bambis/Mumbai so soon after that loss, this is worse than Kohli's antics with Damaad-e-Hind.

Abey bhai, thand rakh. Cricket na laa tu beech mein. idhar i am trying to find the best restaurants and stuff for my next visit to Bombay, taking in the best suggestions from the locals and tu beech mein nayi Ram Kahani shuru kar rah hai. 

:facepalm:

IPL tamasha khatam bhai. Time to eat Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji.  Aaja, Mumbai chalte hai Pandemic  khatam hone ke baad. 

Just now, Cricketics said:

Abey bhai, thand rakh. Cricket na laa tu beech mein. idhar i am trying to find the best restaurants and stuff for my next visit to Bombay, taking in the best suggestions from the locals and tu beech mein nayi Ram Kahani shuru kar rah hai. 

:facepalm:

IPL tamasha khatam bhai. Vada Pav khayenge. Aaja, Mumbai chalte hai Pandemic ke baad. 

Bhai mazak kar raha tha, itna seriously mat lo. Diwali hai, patakhe phodo, enjoy karo.

@Cricketics from @Mariyam's interview

ICF: What are some must-visit food stalls and/or restaurants in Mumbai?

Mariyam: Mumbai has far too much to offer in terms of food. I can only list out some of my favourite eateries: Khyber, Soam, Swati Snacks, Cafe Madras, Bayroute, Mustard, Trishna, Mahesh Lunch Home.

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Cricketics from @Mariyam's interview

ICF: What are some must-visit food stalls and/or restaurants in Mumbai?

Mariyam: Mumbai has far too much to offer in terms of food. I can only list out some of my favourite eateries: Khyber, Soam, Swati Snacks, Cafe Madras, Bayroute, Mustard, Trishna, Mahesh Lunch Home.

You know, I love the Delhi Style Pav Bhaji, but they say that Pav Bhaji is geat in Mumbai. I would love to try that. In Delhi, they make it a bit spicy or some at least try to.. I wonder how it is down in Bombay and whats the major difference really. 

Looks all same to me in videos when I see it. But yeah. I am sure it will taste great. I think it originated from Bombay so it is surely supposed to be great there.

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

:((Why, kaunse sterotypes leke baithe ho? :giggle: But yeah, time has changed. I am more of history/science guy now than what i used to be. I always held interest, but could not push myself to go and spend time in museums. DC has amazing museums which I hardly used to visit in first 15 years. However, when I decided to take some time off from cricket, i found passion in visiting museums etc for history. I guess everything has time.  i feel I have spent my energy enough in watching and playing cricket and done enough things which I was passionate about, so now i seem to enjoy other things equally and don't mind missing out on a cricket game to visit a some cool museum instead which has great history associated to it. 

I always wanted to visit Bombay, i was there in 1996 as a kid I think. My brother resides there now. He left NYC for Bombay. 

Honestly I am the last person to visit a museum. And Mumbai has *one* museum. It used to be called the Prince of Wales museum before they made into Shivaji Museum. I've been inside the museum a grand total of *once* and that was years ago as a part of a school trip. I found it very ordinary and definitely a city like Mumbai/Bombay (take your semantic pick) should have a much better museum.

They showcased this bandana thing which was worn by the Maratha/Mughal soldiers, but it looked very fake. Honestly, it looked like what Jackie Shroff wore in his debut. All in all a very underwhelming experience. Doubt you could spend more than 2 hours there.

I last attended a book launch on the Museum grounds. And its a British building so Art Deco style is definitely good on the eyes and makes for a good backdrop.

If history is your thing, maybe you should visit during the Kala Ghoda festival and take a guided tour of the Fort area of Mumbai. Its a walking tour, quite well conducted and I've only heard good things about it.

IMHO, Mumbai is the most *liberal* place in India, in the truest sense of the word.  It is also the most "laissez-faire" place in India. Maybe the two are co related.

Also it is a fairly safe city. Violent crime is rare. You really can't compare with New York, where you are far more likely to get mugged.

I don't know how to better put this, but Mumbai is religious in a *good* way. 

Edited by Mariyam

6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Honestly I am the last person to visit a museum. And Mumbai has *one* museum. It used to be called the Prince of Wales museum before they made into Shivaji Museum. I've been inside the museum a grand total of *once* and that was years ago as a part of a school trip. I found it very ordinary and definitely a city like Mumbai/Bombay (take your semantic pick) should have a much better museum.

They showcased this bandana thing which was worn by the Maratha/Mughal soldiers, but it looked very fake. Honestly, it looked like what Jackie Shroff wore in his debut. All in all a very underwhelming experience. Doubt you could spend more than 2 hours there.

I last attended a book launch on the Museum grounds. And its a British building so Art Deco style is definitely good on the eyes and makes for a good backdrop.

If history is your thing, maybe you should visit during the Kala Ghoda festival and take a guided tour of the Fort area of Mumbai. Its a walking tour, quite well conducted and I've only heard good things about it.

IMHO, Mumbai is the most *liberal* place in India, in the truest sense of the word.  It is also the most "laissez-faire" place in India. Maybe the two are co related.

Also it is a fairly safe city. Violent crime is rare. You really can't compare with New York, where you are far more likely to get mugged.

I don't know how to better put this, but Mumbai is religious in a *good* way. 

Great post, I will come back to respond this later again but for now I do agree about the what you wrote about NY. In fact all over internet and everywhere I see NY being compared with Mumbai, which is fine, but frankly I feel Mumbai will be more safer and helfpul in its own way to people. I think there would be more people to help you than harm you there. 

May be I am being too anti-NY, but I feel I will just enjoy Mumbai because of its cricket culture, food etc more.