Is Livingstone a HACK or a “modern day” Batsman?

4 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Let me digress here and rephrase my question 

not man to man but overall on a scale of 1-10 how much ahead do you think is the modern English team ahead of the current and apparently outdated Indian team?

As a neutral fan let me ask you this, you are picking a odi/t20 squad and your option is Rohit/Jason Roy  who would you pick?

Not a lot , in ability and resources India are on another planet BUT what is different is mind set . India sets targets 10, 20 , 30 overs  and plays the majority of time batting first to them ..England's only thinking is can I hit this for 6 or 4 maybe not this one so we will settle for a two . It's the difference of positive mental thinking and no fear of failure against a conservative mindset ....India changes its mindset then they should be WC winners . They need to take power plays as is played in IPL into ODI . Who I should pick is Rohit but it's all about waking the walk and not talking the talk . Could Rohit play in the England side instead of Roy doing Roy's job ? 

13 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

@Tattieboy I am not against modern approach but I think good quality cricketers can adapt to that approach as well. I want good quality cricketers playing high quality modern cricket.

You will never see me call Morgan,Bairstow,Butler,Stokes or even Malan and Sam Billings as hacks (jury still a little out there on this one)

Even though Morgan who is one of my fav cricketers is soon going the Afridi/Russell route or May be he is just out of touch but he is much better than that.

In fact I even think Mo Ali is a proper bat and not a hack even though he plays like one these days.

Those English players didn't play that way either until it was decided the philosophy of the team going forward 6 years ago .Mo Ali was/ is a proper bat , that's what he started out as and by accident became a very reluctant first choice  spinner , His batting suffers because of his lack of confidence on a cricket field because of his bowling . When he performs well with the ball he looks different better . Is he an Ashwin ? Noooooo but he fits into the English side and gives it balance 

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

What criteria are we applying when we call someone "a hack"? 

When I was growing up, anyone who scored at a SR of >50 was a hack.  Anyone who had gap between bat and pad was a hack.  Am exaggerating, but not much.  

Other street lingo in the 90’s  for such players in gully cricket was Tulla ,Thukka,Tulleybaaz, Thukkabaaz, Afridi, Jayasuriya (not a hack but street lingo) etc. that’s basically the criteria.

Edited by Global.Baba
10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

I have been a big fan of this guy since the time he dominated Big bash 2 years back iirc

I usually don’t judge big bash hitting by gora players. Dan C ,Henriques etc own this league with both bat and ball