India: Covid - II

kepler37b

8 hours ago, Stuge said:

Yes .. atleast in Metro it is the beginning of 3rd wave. . other parts of India should have a delay of 2 weeks or so but will happen eventually.

However, thanks to (1) Omicron being an upper respiratory pathogen rather than a lung pathogen and (2) moderate/high vaccination rates:  high case rates will be uncoupled from hospitalization and death rates.

Overall, from my readings, here are some updated numbers comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals (somewhat Europe/US centric).  Some of the data include Omicron, but most are from around Dec 20.  Omicron data will take at least 2 more weeks to be reliable.  

(1) Twice mRNA-vaccinated individuals are 4x less likely than unvaccinated individuals to catch CoViD 19.  Boosted individuals are even less likely to catch CoViD 19.

(2) Once infected, twice vaccinated individuals are 12x  to 15x less likely (depending on age) to end up in the hospital and 15x to 25x less likely (depending on age) to pass away compared to infected, unvaccinated individuals.  

(3) Peak viral loads in the nose tend to be similar in unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals, even when vaccinated individuals are showing only mild symptoms.  But, the average infection-clearance time is about 8 days in in unvaccinated individuals and only 4.5 days in vaccinated individuals.  Thus, unvaccinated individuals are about 2x as likely to transmit than vaccinated individuals.  

For Omicron, vaccine efficacy drops significantly after 6 months of vaccination (or prior infection) if the measured outcome is infection, but not when measured outcome is hospitalization/death.  In other words, immediate circulating antibodies from the vaccines don't neutralize O as well as they did the ancestral variants, but memory T-cell and other neutralization mechanisms are able to clear the infection before it gets out of control.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

7 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Take care, coffee anna.  Hope the symptoms were mild and the tests are negative now.  

Tested positive from a Home Rapid antigen test. No facility is doing rapid tests here due to too many cases. Managing fever and cough for now. Have oxymeter and enjoying isolation. Just didn’t want fever (101-102) for now

11 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Tested positive from a Home Rapid antigen test. No facility is doing rapid tests here due to too many cases. Managing fever and cough for now. Have oxymeter and enjoying isolation. Just didn’t want fever (101-102) for now

Testing is a total mess in the US.  Appointments are hard to come by and we seem to have to depend on home kits - not a good situation.  Hope the fever breaks, the cough subsides and everything gets better soon.  

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Testing is a total mess in the US.  Appointments are hard to come by and we seem to have to depend on home kits - not a good situation.  Hope the fever breaks, the cough subsides and everything gets better soon.  

People hoarded kits since a month before, none of the store chains have it. PCR test in urgent care and drugstores by Appt only is a week in backlog  It can get out of control soon

8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Take care... do you have headaches too ? How do the symptoms differ from initial covid variant?

17 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

However, thanks to (1) Omicron being an upper respiratory pathogen rather than a lung pathogen and (2) moderate/high vaccination rates:  high case rates will be uncoupled from hospitalization and death rates.

Overall, from my readings, here are some updated numbers comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals (somewhat Europe/US centric).  Some of the data include Omicron, but most are from around Dec 20.  Omicron data will take at least 2 more weeks to be reliable.  

(1) Twice mRNA-vaccinated individuals are 4x less likely than unvaccinated individuals to catch CoViD 19.  Boosted individuals are even less likely to catch CoViD 19.

(2) Once infected, twice vaccinated individuals are 12x  to 15x less likely (depending on age) to end up in the hospital and 15x to 25x less likely (depending on age) to pass away compared to infected, unvaccinated individuals.  

(3) Peak viral loads in the nose tend to be similar in unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals, even when vaccinated individuals are showing only mild symptoms.  But, the average infection-clearance time is about 8 days in in unvaccinated individuals and only 4.5 days in vaccinated individuals.  Thus, unvaccinated individuals are about 2x as likely to transmit than vaccinated individuals.  

For Omicron, vaccine efficacy drops significantly after 6 months of vaccination (or prior infection) if the measured outcome is infection, but not when measured outcome is hospitalization/death.  In other words, immediate circulating antibodies from the vaccines don't neutralize O as well as they did the ancestral variants, but memory T-cell and other neutralization mechanisms are able to clear the infection before it gets out of control.  

What about a person who is once infected and has been vaccinated once? 

2 hours ago, diga said:

Take care... do you have headaches too ? How do the symptoms differ from initial covid variant?

I have regular flu symptoms, sore throat turned cough and fever. Haven’t lost sense of smell/taste. What I read from others like @zen who had delta was more severe shortness of breath and headaches. Insomnia for me though

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I have regular flu symptoms, sore throat turned cough and fever. Haven’t lost sense of smell/taste. What I read from others like @zen who had delta was more severe shortness of breath and headaches. Insomnia for me though

Get better soon buddy.. 

3 hours ago, kepler37b said:

@BacktoCricaddict .. I had two doses of vaccination and a Moderate  infection in Nov last week. I do not want to go through one more round of this disease. Any thoughts?

AFAIK, since you've been recently infected you should already posses sufficient antibodies to tackle a new infection, even if a variant. Not suggesting that you be complacent, but safe to say that you can rest easy for a few months now.

Of course @BacktoCricaddict or a medical professional can answer this better.

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I have got similar symptoms. Sore throat, blocked nose and continuous coughing since 31st Dec. Awaiting test result.

Note - I already had 2 vaccines and Booster jab but still...

Edited by Austin 3:!6

15 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

AFAIK, since you've been recently infected you should already posses sufficient antibodies to tackle a new infection, even if a variant. Not suggesting that you be complacent, but safe to say that you can rest easy for a few months now.

Of course @BacktoCricaddict or a medical professional can answer this better.

@I6MTW @kepler37b @Austin 3:!6

This is Correct! 

With pre-Omicron variants, you can consider prior infection as one vaccine dose.

Here is the approximate hierarchy of short-term immunity provided by circulating antibodies (6 months since last vaccine or infection):

(2 doses of vaccine + booster) >

(2 doses of vaccine + infection) >

(2 doses of vaccine) = (1 dose of vaccine + infection) >

(1 dose of vaccine = infection)

Long-term immunity provided by T-cells is quite good with 2 doses of vaccine and much better with booster.  

Much of this short-term protection does not hold for Omicron, but T-cell immunity is still present.  And Omicron is inherently milder.  So, the news is good.

In summary, vaccinated/boosted/prior-infected individuals can rest more easy than others.  But still do the easy things like masking indoors and in crowded areas, and avoid unnecessary travel and gatherings.