Facebook, Twitter to be blocked in India from tomorrow?

Austin 3:!6

4 hours ago, mishra said:

See, in my opinion when twitter/facebook banned Trump from their platform, that should have been awakening call. We can accept this digital oligarchy or gvmnts can do something about it. 

There is absolutely no doubt that these platform spread information/misinformation and views which impacts public opinion.

We need regulations on these platforms. For example, You can not have a system where say there is national censorboard which stops certain things in their country but same actors  and directors can present things which wouldn’t have passed national censor board. What is actually stopping them putting R rated move as per Canadian and US standards in India or other nations. Nothing. 

Digital media can not display content on basis of what the owners living in those countries think.

Its time that they come and sit with govmnts and sort this out.

Trump should have been banned long back.  The guy who repeatedly shared Trump's posts were banned long back. He was perpetually promoting violence. It even led to kidnapping of a governor. Jan 6th was the breaking point. Fact that you call it a conspiracy theory is laughable. Anyone who promotes violence, spreads dangerous misinformation  they can be reported. Twitter acts based on the number of reports they receive.  If you don't like it leave the platform. Alt right was wreaking havoc with disinformation. They did that in 2016 too uncontrollably with the help of Russian trolls. Social media acted only in 2020.  

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

^^^ It is alleged that team Trump used data that Cambridge Analytica stole data from FB and targeted certain demographic profiles, sent them very specific ads etc.

Team trump rode that wave when they could.

Just like how exit polls are banned before the completion of elections, I don't think the day will be far when the EC bans certain features on FB/Twitter for 'unduly' influencing voters.

He promoted violence. January 6th happened because of that. Twitter should be blamed for not banning long back. Kidnapping of governor happened.. He even promoted violence against blacks.  Only reason they didn't de-platform him was he was the president even though it was his personal account. January 6th was the last straw.

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Agree....twitter is very biased and always been. I have no issues when they banned Kangana's account. But what about likes of Kunal Kamra, Dhruv Rathee, Rana Ayyub etc and why they are not yet banned then? Both the side does the same thing i.e accuse the opposition party. But twitter selectively ban the side that dosen't fit their political agenda

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kangana Rangaut posts are undeniably dumb - "Take Viswaroop and tame Mamta"

Rana Ayyub has plausible deniability in her posts. She skirts the lines between "pushing the boundaries" and telling outright lies very well.

Edited by EnterTheVoid

29 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Trump should have been banned long back.  The guy who repeatedly shared Trump's posts were banned long back. He was perpetually promoting violence. It even led to kidnapping of a governor. Jan 6th was the breaking point. Fact that you call it a conspiracy theory is laughable. Anyone who promotes violence, spreads dangerous misinformation  they can be reported. Twitter acts based on the number of reports they receive.  If you don't like it leave the platform. Alt right was wreaking havoc with disinformation. They did that in 2016 too uncontrollably with the help of Russian trolls. Social media acted only in 2020.  

Who is twitter to make basis for ban action? Governments are supposed to take action not twitter.

In simple terms, If you go to a restaurant with your family and restaurant says halfway during your meal that you are banned for some adhoc rule , would you not call for action against restaurant.? Would you not expect some action from authorities?  If restaurant says bcos your are leftist and discussion you were having on table both immoral and impractical, Is you being percieved as A leftist is good enough reason?

7 minutes ago, mishra said:

Who is twitter to make basis for ban action? Governments are supposed to take action not twitter.

In simple terms, If you go to a restaurant with your family and restaurant says halfway during your meal that you are banned for some adhoc rule , would you not call for action against restaurant.? Would you not expect some action from authorities?  If restaurant says bcos your are leftist and discussion you were having on table both immoral and impractical, Is you being percieved as A leftist is good enough reason?

Welcome to Capitalism. They have rules, guidelines. If you find a post offensive just report it. I have reported they have removed it. Many dems also lost their twitter accounts/ facebook accounts.  If it so happens rightists cause more ruckus in a restaurant they will throw out righties only. Infact dems were the ones who wanted social media regulation at the start because of uncontrollable disinformation spread during 2016 election. It was too late on the part of social media to act on these proud boy groups. Result was murder at the CAPITOL HILL.

Twitter can arbitrarily ban handles and is well within it's right to do so ( bias or no bias).

The Govt of India is well within it's right to do the same.If laws of the land are not followed, Twitter can GTFO.

39 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

If Trump is banned, then Chidu should be banned for trying to instigate a revolt as well...

The fake farmers handles should also be banned for an organized attack on the red fort.

Twitter is selective and biased.Their India head,not long ago, was mahima mail who is a rabid Modi haters and a Gandhi fan.

Why is INdia trying to silence hashtags that attack the current administration?  If you think free speech is important why do you not consider that as a free speech.

Why is INdia trying to silence hashtags that attack the current administration?  If you think free speech is important why do you not consider that as a free speech.

Is it trying to silence Dakait? 

The fake farmers came ,had their way,damaged property and brought down the tri color.At what point do stop you calling it free speech? When it turns to action? When people are injured? When property is damaged?

You are okay with twitter banning Trump because of Capitol fiasco but you aren't okay with Govt of India asking for banning of twitter handles because of Red Fort violence.

Tell me again,How does that work?

Must be a special kind of hypocrisy.

Kangana Rangaut posts are undeniably dumb - "Take Viswaroop and tame Mamta"

Rana Ayyub has plausible deniability in her posts. She skirts the lines between "pushing the boundaries" and telling outright lies very well.
Lets be honest, twitter is bias towards left liberals. Veena Malik should have been banned for that disgusting tweet 'Hitler kept few jews alive to show the world how horrible they are'. Dont think Kangana has ever posted such level of gutter. But somehow her account gets blocked but Veena Malik's dosent. There are thousand of such examples.

Btw, I am not supporting Kangana and I agree she is a nut case. But twitter is awfully biased and its a no secret.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Welcome to Capitalism. They have rules, guidelines. If you find a post offensive just report it. I have reported they have removed it. Many dems also lost their twitter accounts/ facebook accounts.  If it so happens rightists cause more ruckus in a restaurant they will throw out righties only. Infact dems were the ones who wanted social media regulation at the start because of uncontrollable disinformation spread during 2016 election. It was too late on the part of social media to act on these proud boy groups. Result was murder at the CAPITOL HILL.

Is it established in court of law that Trump remarks caused death and he got sentenced for it? And court of law directed twitter to ban Trump? Its only on basis of your ideology you think banning Trump was right as he is guilty of riots,

Let me extend that scenario further, Since its rightwing owned restaurant, when you were asked to leave, varirous people on tables clapped cheered the decision. And then lsome powerful guy ensured that your story don’t turn into fir and in future your statement of impracticalily and immorality is linked to some outcome as justification to further demonize you. 

Compare that to Pakistani FMs deep pocket antisemitic remark. Can CNN ban him. Hell no because its regulated media.

14 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Twitter can arbitrarily ban handles and is well within it's right to do so ( bias or no bias).

The Govt of India is well within it's right to do the same.If laws of the land are not followed, Twitter can GTFO.

No it cant ban people arbitrarily. It has to follow what law says and mske policies which it can justify legally

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

^^^ It is alleged that team Trump used data that Cambridge Analytica stole data from FB and targeted certain demographic profiles, sent them very specific ads etc.

Team trump rode that wave when they could.

Just like how exit polls are banned before the completion of elections, I don't think the day will be far when the EC bans certain features on FB/Twitter for 'unduly' influencing voters.

CA is used by almost all governments across the world. Congress used it in india as well. Ideally they should ban FB/twiiter since they can spread so much fake news. I forgot the big one whatsapp. 

43 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Is it trying to silence Dakait? 

The fake farmers came ,had their way,damaged property and brought down the tri color.At what point do stop you calling it free speech? When it turns to action? When people are injured? When property is damaged?

You are okay with twitter banning Trump because of Capitol fiasco but you aren't okay with Govt of India asking for banning of twitter handles because of Red Fort violence.

Tell me again,How does that work?

Must be a special kind of hypocrisy.

Jan 6 was Insurrection, Domestic Terrorism, Attempted coup, attack on democracy. 
Jan 26 was dissent, revolt against fascism, democracy at work, people’s voice vote

38 minutes ago, gattaca said:

CA is used by almost all governments across the world. Congress used it in india as well. Ideally they should ban FB/twiiter since they can spread so much fake news. I forgot the big one whatsapp. 

Where it stop, people will find the alternative, plus in age of VPNs even this blocking suff don't work. 

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

I fully agree. But you would not want a foreign tech company to dictate terms on your internal matter right?

Of course. I don't want even local tech companies to dictate terms on people's mandate either.

Think of it this way: there is a Hindu who doesn't generally vote. He starts getting (unsolicited) atrocity literature on how Hindus have been subjugated for centuries and need to rise up and unite politically etc.

there is a Muslim who doesn't vote. He starts getting (unsolicited) literature on his Twitter feed on how he is being marginalized and pushed to the sidelines. And how voting out xyz can help his cause.

Fear mongering people into taking stances based on half truths. Stances that they wouldn't have taken other wise.

Where does one draw the line? What is invasion of private 'net' space? 

It gets very blurry here. 

46 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Congress used the data and still lost so miserably?

:laugh:

If that's the case they have no business being a national party.

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Lets be honest, twitter is bias towards left liberals. Veena Malik should have been banned for that disgusting tweet 'Hitler kept few jews alive to show the world how horrible they are'. Dont think Kangana has ever posted such level of gutter. But somehow her account gets blocked but Veena Malik's dosent. There are thousand of such examples.

Btw, I am not supporting Kangana and I agree she is a nut case. But twitter is awfully biased and its a no secret.

Caveat: My understanding of these things is rudimentary. 

IIRC, the twitter ban is on the basis of a review. Reviews happen when a certain number of accounts/verified accounts flag off/report a post. Kangana's vile post would have been mass flagged. Veena Malik's vile post probably didn't get flagged as much because the wider reader base that reads her tweets would have found it acceptable.

Speaks a lot more about her base of followers/ consumers of the content she puts out than it does about twitter.

13 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Intermediary guideline : Glorify the government all the time.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/et-explains/intermediary-tag-what-social-media-giants-stand-to-lose-and-why-you-should-be-worried/articleshow/82943504.cms

Only thing they lose is immunity from legal proceedings in case of violations or user raised concerns