Facebook, Twitter to be blocked in India from tomorrow?

Austin 3:!6

Social media platforms Facebook, Twitter and Instagram may face a ban in India if they do not comply with the new Intermediary Guidelines

The deadline to accept the guidelines set by the government will end on May 25 but so far none of the platforms including WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter has complied with the new regulations yet. The Indian version of Twitter, Koo, is the only social media app that has complied with the new guidelines ahead of the May 25 deadline. In February 2021, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MEITy) had given a three-month time to the social platforms to comply with the new IT rules.

It is a crucial moment for the social media companies because if they do not comply with the new rules by May 25, they will lose their status and protections as intermediaries and criminal action can be taken against them as per the laws of India, a government official said in a statement. The US-based companies had asked for six months time as they are waiting for a response from the US headquarters.

Revealing whether Facebook will comply with the rules or not, a company spokesperson said in a statement, “We aim to comply with the provisions of the IT rules and continue to discuss a few of the issues which need more engagement with the government. Pursuant to the IT rules, we are working to implement operational processes and improve efficiencies. Facebook remains committed to people’s ability to freely and safely express themselves on our platform.”

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story/facebook-twitter-to-be-blocked-in-india-on-may-26-here-is-what-we-know-so-far-1806686-2021-05-25

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

See, in my opinion when twitter/facebook banned Trump from their platform, that should have been awakening call. We can accept this digital oligarchy or gvmnts can do something about it. 

There is absolutely no doubt that these platform spread information/misinformation and views which impacts public opinion.

We need regulations on these platforms. For example, You can not have a system where say there is national censorboard which stops certain things in their country but same actors  and directors can present things which wouldn’t have passed national censor board. What is actually stopping them putting R rated move as per Canadian and US standards in India or other nations. Nothing. 

Digital media can not display content on basis of what the owners living in those countries think.

Its time that they come and sit with govmnts and sort this out.

^^^ It is alleged that team Trump used data that Cambridge Analytica stole data from FB and targeted certain demographic profiles, sent them very specific ads etc.

Team trump rode that wave when they could.

Just like how exit polls are banned before the completion of elections, I don't think the day will be far when the EC bans certain features on FB/Twitter for 'unduly' influencing voters.

3 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Facebook has agreed in principle to follow govt rules. Twitter has not yet. 

Imo. Twitter should be banned. But not for the reasons that govt outlined. Those are administrative. 

Why?

^^^ It is alleged that team Trump used data that Cambridge Analytica stole data from FB and targeted certain demographic profiles, sent them very specific ads etc.

Just like how exit polls are banned before the completion of elections, I don't think the day will be far when the EC bans certain features on FB/Twitter for 'unduly' influencing voters.
Could be the other way around.

Twitter has regularly been shutting down right wing handles for seemingly harmless posts while incendiary posts by libtards are allowed.

They can ban politicians and swing elections as well

Could be the other way around.

Twitter has regularly been shutting down right wing handles for seemingly harmless posts while incendiary posts by libtards are allowed.

They can ban politicians and swing elections as well

Agree....twitter is very biased and always been. I have no issues when they banned Kangana's account. But what about likes of Kunal Kamra, Dhruv Rathee, Rana Ayyub etc and why they are not yet banned then? Both the side does the same thing i.e accuse the opposition party. But twitter selectively ban the side that dosen't fit their political agenda

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I fully agree. But you would not want a foreign tech company to dictate terms on your internal matter right?