Hardik Pandya v Irfan Pathan - which player had more success in international cricket?

Batting all rounder vs bowling all rounder..unfair comparison.

Irfan, when he started was a wondered, 19 year old, goes to Pakistan takes a 9-er (albeit vs BD u-19), drafted into the national team, the VB series bowling performances, then his role in the 2004 series win in Pakistan..all within 6 months of his debut! Him not fulfilling all his potential has to be the among the biggest tragedies of Indian cricket. 

I hope Pandya can go onto have a substantially long LOI career and go on till 2027 WC

15 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Batting all rounder vs bowling all rounder..unfair comparison.

Irfan, when he started was a wondered, 19 year old, goes to Pakistan takes a 9-er (albeit vs BD u-19), drafted into the national team, the VB series bowling performances, then his role in the 2004 series win in Pakistan..all within 6 months of his debut! Him not fulfilling all his potential has to be the among the biggest tragedies of Indian cricket. 

I hope Pandya can go onto have a substantially long LOI career and go on till 2027 WC

Both of them avg 31 with bat in tests.

10 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

just because they have similar batting averages? I do not see the logic there but go on keep comparing :nice:

Yes, 2 all rounders with similar batting averages can be compared.

Not an issue if you don't see a logic there. Many others do and they are posting.

14 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Not an issue if you don't see a logic there. Many others do and they are posting.

I didn't realise you are the OP. Of course you would keep comparing 

BTW if similar batting average is your criteria for a comparison, I hope you do not start comparing Irfan with Chetan Chauhan or Ajit Wadekar.

12 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

I didn't realise you are the OP. Of course you would keep comparing 

BTW if similar batting average is your criteria for a comparison, I hope you do not start comparing Irfan with Chetan Chauhan or Ajit Wadekar.

Didn't know that Wadekar and Chetan Chauhan were all rounders. 

Irfan underachieved massively.Yet he had a hatrick,a MOM is WC 2007 final,Perth Test,that yorker v Gilchrist,last over in CB series final and many batting performances

He was handled poorly specially by Greg Chappell,and discarded way too early

Pandya has done nothing of note so far

24 minutes ago, Lord said:

He was handled poorly specially by Greg Chappell,and discarded way too early

nope, he let his own downfall ....he was discarded during dhoni's tenure coz he was never fit.

Greg chappel actually helped his career promoting him up the order. He started fiddling with his action even before chappell came in . Once his bowling started dipping he wud have found tough to keep his place just as bowler

18 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

nope, he let his own downfall ....he was discarded during dhoni's tenure coz he was never fit.

Greg chappel actually helped his career promoting him up the order. He started fiddling with his action even before chappell came in . Once his bowling started dipping he wud have found tough to keep his place just as bowler

he was good initially even under Chappell.Used to swing the ball in to RHB at 135-140 ks.

Chappell confused him by promoting up the order and focussing more on batting.When bowling dipped as a result,he took him to various experts and changed his action completely.

Under Dhoni he tasted success in 2007 WT20,2008 CB etc.Given our bowling options at that time(Dinda,Vinay etc) he could have been given a rope,specially since he contributed with bat

Even in his last ODI he picked a 5fer

30 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Im not a Pandya fan either,his only accomplishment is where he won us a test against England in England,as " little" as it is but it is massive

Yes I am aware of that 5fer in cloudy conditions. over a 5 year career his performances have been sporadic

Good in T20 though

3 minutes ago, Lord said:

he was good initially even under Chappell.Used to swing the ball in to RHB at 135-140 ks.

by the time chappel came his speeds were already dipping

Chappell confused him by promoting up the order and focussing more on batting.When bowling dipped as a result,he took him to various experts and changed his action completely.

Always found this funny ? How can u confuse someone like that.....funniest theory ever 

If you want to become an all rounder u need to focus on other aspect. Never heard that from any other all rounder

Irfan himself has bashed this crappy theory...he had batting talent n chappel properly utlized it. All rounder around the world have been promoted up doesnt mean they forgot bowling.

his bowling started dipping under wright/ ganguly only ...as he changed his action n had few injuries. It was 2005 Pak home series under ganguly where he 1st changed his action n then just kept changing. If you see his 1st yrs action and anything after that even 2nd year he wasnt putting in a lot of effort. Chappel was the most misunderstood guy indians

Under Dhoni he tasted success in 2007 WT20,2008 CB etc.Given our bowling options at that time(Dinda,Vinay etc) he could have been given a rope,specially since he contributed with bat

Even in his last ODI he picked a 5fer

how can u give someone rope who isnt fit, that DL series ur talking he got injured after that to

He was hardly playing Fc....and getting injured again n again. In last few yrs his bowling speeds dipped to 120 n some times even below even IPL sides stopped taking interest.